Skagway pier construction delay

Brandis

Radiance of the Seas changed her current itinerary on the NB cruise from Vancouver to visit Haines instead of Skagway because the construction at a pier is still going on. I know there was a rockslide in Skagway 2 years ago, was the pier damaged then? I also found a report from last year saying that the new floating pier was damaged during transportation to Skagway. But nothing current. Is there any information about the new opening date for the pier?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The rockslide was at the railroad pier, they did some work on the in the offseason, but I don't know if they fully remediated the rockslide yet.

The floating dock is the Ore dock.  They ripped out the old one last October while a new one was being built in Washington.  While it was being transported to Skagway it was damaged near Ketchikan around February.  It has been repaired an made it to Skagway this past Thursday.  The mayor says they are on track to have the Ore dock operational for cruise ships by May 14th or 15th.

Skagway is limited to 3 cruise ships until the Ore dock is up and running.

Edited by CMSD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, would be a shame to miss Skagway. According to the port schedule, Radiance is supposed to dock at Railroad Dock aft on our sailing.

Strangely, Radiance was supposed to dock at the Broadway dock on the current cruise, not sure why they still switched the itinerary for Haines.

1 hour ago, Brandis said:

Thanks, would be a shame to miss Skagway. According to the port schedule, Radiance is supposed to dock at Railroad Dock aft on our sailing.

Strangely, Radiance was supposed to dock at the Broadway dock on the current cruise, not sure why they still switched the itinerary for Haines.

I wonder if they needed to close the Broadway dock so they could work on the Ore dock? It will be interesting to see if the other ships that are scheduled for the Broadway dock this week also get shifted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2024 at 11:08 AM, Brandis said:

Which sailing are you on? We're on the Radiance of the Seas July 12th and wondering if we will be impacted.

Posted (edited)

I'd be interested in hearing more on the dock construction myself. I read on another thread that some ships scheduled to dock at the Broadway dock missed port due to high winds and a construction barge next to the dock reducing the maneuvering capacity of ships.

Edited by allesonwonderland

41 minutes ago, gometros said:

Which sailing are you on? We're on the Radiance of the Seas July 12th and wondering if we will be impacted.

We're on the June 21 SB sailing.

We were at the railroad dock on May 9.  The forward ship (Brilliance of the Seas) used tenders from its outboard side.  Our ship (Quantum of the Seas) was aft of Brilliance and we had to ride shuttles back and forth on the pier.  It looked like there was still a lot of work to be done on the pier, and ship rock still eerily looms above.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aquahound said:

We were at the railroad dock on May 9.  The forward ship (Brilliance of the Seas) used tenders from its outboard side.  Our ship (Quantum of the Seas) was aft of Brilliance and we had to ride shuttles back and forth on the pier.  It looked like there was still a lot of work to be done on the pier, and ship rock still eerily looms above.

Thank you for the information re the Railroad Dock. I was going to ask a question about it as I could find nothing official about the arrangements.  The method of handling passengers on May 9th is the same as it was last year. Getting back to the "aft" ship can take a long time when a train arrives.  We will be back in Skagway near the end of July and were wondering about the current condition.  

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

Thank you for the information re the Railroad Dock. I was going to ask a question about it as I could find nothing official about the arrangements.  The method of handling passengers on May 9th is the same as it was last year. Getting back to the "aft" ship can take a long time when a train arrives.  We will be back in Skagway near the end of July and were wondering about the current condition.  

The procedures at the railway dock are the sane as they were last year. Tender for RRF and shuttle for RRA.