Steakhouse just ok. Is it just me?

I was on VIVA in late March, we had dinner at Cagney's and Los Lobos a couple nights apart. The flank steak at los lobos was slap your mother good. Had a porterhouse at Cagney's that was decidedly middling *AND* was not a porterhouse. Moral of the story is: the best steaks probably aren't at the steakhouse.

(i bitched about the not-porterhouse for three days, it's not hard to tell if there's a big filet portion or not.)

17 minutes ago, AllHandsAstern said:

I was on VIVA in late March, we had dinner at Cagney's and Los Lobos a couple nights apart. The flank steak at los lobos was slap your mother good. Had a porterhouse at Cagney's that was decidedly middling *AND* was not a porterhouse. Moral of the story is: the best steaks probably aren't at the steakhouse.

(i bitched about the not-porterhouse for three days, it's not hard to tell if there's a big filet portion or not.)

Should have gone to Onda by Scarpetta, the best specialty restaurant on the Viva.

1 minute ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Should have gone to Onda by Scarpetta, the best specialty restaurant on the Viva.

We did do Onda, it was very good and the waiter was very helpful in getting us in and out for Beetlejuice. BUT! I didn't have a steak, so not really relevant.

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 7:41 PM, capriccio said:

On the Coral Princess last year our group of 2 couples each ordered lamb chops and filet mignon in the Bayou Cafe and Steakhouse.  All was absolutely delicious and rivaled anything we've had in up market steakhouses in the US. 

Bayou Cafe on Island Princess this January was tied with BEST cruise ship meal EVER.

On 5/5/2024 at 8:18 PM, Kineticoh20 said:

Being Greek I love Lamb chops,  I'll try the chops next month.

21 nights on Regal Princess in March. Crown Grill had the best lamb chops of my life.

On 5/5/2024 at 8:21 PM, suzyed said:

I feel like it varies from ship to ship and one visit to another.  We always enjoy the steakhouse but last fall when we went to CG on the Regal it was the BEST meal ever! Everything was perfectly cooked, the service was stellar and I even aded the lobster tail to my meal....soooo good!! Looking forward to the Bayou Cafe on the Coral in June and also trying Rudi's for the first time and oh yeah, the 360 Experience!  

Love Crown Grill and Bayou Cafe, thought 360 was a waste. Let us know how it goes

Edited by teecee60
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Why are there so many comments about non Princess ships on a Princess thread ?

Comparisons. Princess steakhouses pale compared to those on Celebrity & they all pale in comparison to Polo on Oceania.The culinary director on Oceania is Jacques Pepin.We did do the Ultimate Balcony dinner in our Club Mini. & the food was outstanding.It held its own against Oceania dining. Of course it's standard on Oceania & $100 surcharge on P.At least it's nice to see what P can do. For those in the suites & Club(now Reserve) It should be interesting to see how the Sphere class does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Why are there so many comments about non Princess ships on a Princess thread ?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. 😝

• Like 1

I have always said that Crown Grill is my favorite restaurant in the world. I love their steaks and the whole experience. Our last experience was extremely mediocre, though, and we even gave it a second try on the same cruise. I am hoping it was just an anomaly though and I’m looking forward to having it on a different ship next week.

On 5/5/2024 at 7:20 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I gave up on the Rib Eye Steak. Way too much for me to eat. I was told by the waiter that you should always order that meat medium rare. 

Based on advice from Food Network, ribeye is the only steak that I order medium rather than medium rare. You actually need that extra heat to render the internal fat. (On Cunard, they actually recommend medium well - that's way too far for me.)

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 2:11 PM, rbtan said:

Princess steakhouses pale compared to those on Celebrity

Celebrity specialty restaurants (and especially Tuscan Grill) are, without a doubt, the worst specialty restaurants on any cruise line.

2 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

Based on advice from Food Network, ribeye is the only steak that I order medium rather than medium rare. You actually need that extra heat to render the internal fat. (On Cunard, they actually recommend medium well - that's way too far for me.)

Since ribeye has the most marbling it needs to be cooked longer to render the fat that is all through it.  Since I like my steaks to usually be done rare+ I never get a ribeye.