Comparing Princess to P&O.

Just now, terrierjohn said:

I did book our MDR evening dining well in advance but the latest time I could book a sharing table was 18:40, and I booked all our meals in the same MDR and all at 18:40.

However our MDR host quickly recognised us (maybe because of my wifes wheelchair )and without arranging it, we were able to arrive at any time within an hour of that, and still receive prompt service.

Interestingly we again found most couples were pushed towards tables for two, which I think Princess are finding enables them to seat more passengers. The 2 tops seemed to be turned round 3 and sometimes 4 times, where some sharing tables were only used  once, presumably as passengers enjoyed the congeniality, and stayed well beyond the recomended 2 hour dinin time.

The 7 nights we have on here the only options for pre-booking MDRs (now we are on the ship) have been sharing tables only. And they have only been available on a couple of nights. 

I didn't think pre booking MDR tables for early slots would be an issue and needed doing before we boarded as early tables have always been so easy to get on previous cruises

Speciality wise I wasn't even planning to book those. And it's only because we ended up premium plus that we had 2 nights to book speciality for

Heading to Sabatinis for the second time tonight as Crown Grill is sold out all week

54 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The 7 nights we have on here the only options for pre-booking MDRs (now we are on the ship) have been sharing tables only. And they have only been available on a couple of nights. 

I didn't think pre booking MDR tables for early slots would be an issue and needed doing before we boarded as early tables have always been so easy to get on previous cruises

Speciality wise I wasn't even planning to book those. And it's only because we ended up premium plus that we had 2 nights to book speciality for

Heading to Sabatinis for the second time tonight as Crown Grill is sold out all week

It may be because you are sailing with mainly international guests, particularly Americans you are having early dining problems.  Traditionally a lot of Americans eat an early dinner, on most sailings I've done with lots of US passengers, even in Europe, the restaurants early slots are filled first and the fixed dining early sitting is also most popular.  Even on P&O if you want fixed dining the 6.00pm sitting is generally the one booked out.

Some of your problems with booking early meals or walk ups, not the queuing, would definitely in my experience  occur on international sailings, particularly ex North America or Asia.  Europeans on the other hand eat far later and the late sittings are more popular.

The early dining problem without reservation is not unique to Princess in North America.  Late booking on RCI and Celebrity has on occasion left me with the late dining time.

• Thanks 1

We have been able to pre-book dining available at all hours (non-shared tables) on the Regal: but wether they actually accommodate it at the time remains to be seen as we haven't sailed yet.

Previously we sailed a lot with NCL and although that was anytime dining we found that if you wanted to eat before 8 it was bedlam as the predominantly American passengers tended to eat early: in "leisure suits" as opposed to actual suits 😂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

We have been able to pre-book dining available at all hours (non-shared tables) on the Regal: but wether they actually accommodate it at the time remains to be seen as we haven't sailed yet.

Previously we sailed a lot with NCL and although that was anytime dining we found that if you wanted to eat before 8 it was bedlam as the predominantly American passengers tended to eat early: in "leisure suits" as opposed to actual suits 😂

Just back from Regal, and all our pre booked dining times (6pm-ish, non shared tables) were honoured, with no queues. Service was pretty good too. I think ICF was very unlucky on Ruby. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

Just back from Regal, and all our pre booked dining times (6pm-ish, non shared tables) were honoured, with no queues. Service was pretty good too. I think ICF was very unlucky on Ruby. 

That's good to hear, thank you 😊

yes, it does sound like ICF has had a bad time to the reviews I have seem coming from other Princess ships.

19 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

That's good to hear, thank you 😊

yes, it does sound like ICF has had a bad time to the reviews I have seem coming from other Princess ships.

Still had a really great cruise and holiday

Just that Princess wasn't the level above P and O that I was expecting

Shows me that P and O get an awful lot right when planning and organising how their cruises work

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Still had a really great cruise and holiday

Just that Princess wasn't the level above P and O that I was expecting

Shows me that P and O get an awful lot right when planning and organising how their cruises work

I have always thought the current P&O offerings are pretty good, and think they are so much better than they were 10 years ago: maybe I am easily pleased 😂

As I said I have been able to pre-book dining (speciality and MDR) at various timings throughout the cruise so that's helpful. The rest of it, I will just cross my fingers and ignore the cold-soup options (which I don't like, and American cruise lines seem to love 😂)

Edited by Cloudyrain

10 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

I have always thought the current P&O offerings are pretty good, and think they are so much better than they were 10 years ago: maybe I am easily pleased 😂

As I said I have been able to pre-book dining (speciality and MDR) at various timings throughout the cruise so that's helpful. The rest of it, I will just cross my fingers and ignore the cold-soup options (which I don't like, and American cruise lines seem to love 😂)

I don't wish to be confrontational but myself and wife started cruising back in 2002 and whilst they always say your first cruise is the one you remember the most we have had many excellent cruises with P&O since. However I believe the reverse is true of what you say with regards to cruises getting better. When we first cruised ladies had toiletries in a little P&O bag to greet them in the bathroom. You had a turndown every night with a chocolate on your pillow. The biscuits you were provided with the tea and coffee were better than now. Things like tours of the bridge and galley were free. You had chocoholics tea one afternoon where the display of cakes and pastries and an ice carving were wonderful. It was laid out buffet style and you helped yourself to as much as you wanted. Tea and coffee was served at your table. Menu wise if you didn't like anything on the main course you could ask for a steak. These were much better than the things dished up now. The first cruise we even had a guy giving information over the tannoy system about the port you were entering and the daily paper had port information in them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I don't wish to be confrontational but myself and wife started cruising back in 2002 and whilst they always say your first cruise is the one you remember the most we have had many excellent cruises with P&O since. However I believe the reverse is true of what you say with regards to cruises getting better. When we first cruised ladies had toiletries in a little P&O bag to greet them in the bathroom. You had a turndown every night with a chocolate on your pillow. The biscuits you were provided with the tea and coffee were better than now. Things like tours of the bridge and galley were free. You had chocoholics tea one afternoon where the display of cakes and pastries and an ice carving were wonderful. It was laid out buffet style and you helped yourself to as much as you wanted. Tea and coffee was served at your table. Menu wise if you didn't like anything on the main course you could ask for a steak. These were much better than the things dished up now. The first cruise we even had a guy giving information over the tannoy system about the port you were entering and the daily paper had port information in them.

Don't worry, I don't think it's confrontational to have a different opinion 😊

I think a lot of it comes down to personal preferences though: I personally don't miss evening turn-down as I don't think it's necessary, and I don't care if the quality of the biscuits had declined because I find the food available elsewhere is good enough that I don't eat a biscuit (or chocolate, when they were left) in the cabin. In fact I used to save them up over the course of the holiday and take them in to the office for my "holiday souvenir" - so maybe my colleagues aren't happy because now they get nothing 😂 And I always use my own toiletries, I don't use those provided anyway.

From 2013 to now I have found the food options have improved overall: although they have certainly reduced the number of choices in the MDR, I think what remains is mostly better. I also think the dining system as a whole is improved, as is the quality/variety of the entertainment.

After our first P&O cruise we said never again. The only reason we gave them another chance was due to circumstances, and I am glad we did as I find they are now a lot more suited for our tastes. I don't think they get everything right, but they offer a food product for the price - especially when compared to land-based hotel holidays.

Although I am looking forward to trying Princess as the price we have paid is less (all things considered), and it's nice to open up a few more options of port/ship etc - I currently like P&O, but I am not a loyal customer when it comes to cruises 😂

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
Just now, Cruisemeister2002 said:

That's not confrontational at all

Worth saying though that  in real terms the pricepoint for cruising now compared to 2002 will be SO MUCH lower it's actually hard to believe at a time when the rest of the things we pay for in real terms in the world have increased so dramatically

And my other point is on our recent cruise with  Princess we had to pay gratuities of 16 us dollars per person per night (standard room gratuities). It's more for more expensive rooms. 

Which we don't have to pay on P and O of course

So thats 176 pounds for the seven nights for 2 people

I think the chocolate and biscuits and toiletries cruises provided each night would likely only account for less than 6 pounds of that cost? If that?

And come to think of it we didn't actually get any biscuits or chocolate any night on Ruby Princess in our standard rooms?

We did get our room cleaned in the evenings though as often in the mornings I would work on my laptop in the cabin

So maybe  biscuits and a chocolate only applies to higher standard cabins?

We didn't get ANY biscuits or chocolates of any kind left in  our cabin morning or night last week AT ALL?

(Ps assuming my wife didn't keep stealing them all. Lol)

Which I've just checked and she assures me we didn't get any at all

No tea or coffee making options in the cabin either? No idea if they normally offer that on Princess ?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

41 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Worth saying though that  in real terms the pricepoint for cruising now compared to 2002 will be SO MUCH lower it's actually hard to believe at a time when the rest of the things we pay for in real terms in the world have increased so dramatically

And my other point is on our recent cruise with  Princess we had to pay gratuities of 16 us dollars per person per night (standard room gratuities). It's more for more expensive rooms. 

I think the chocolate and biscuits and toiletries cruises provided each night would likely only account for less than 6 pounds of that cost? If that?

And come to think of it we didn't actually get any biscuits or chocolate any night on Ruby Princess in our standard rooms?

We did get our room cleaned in the evenings though as often in the mornings I would work on my laptop in the cabin

We didn't get ANY biscuits or chocolates of any kind left in  our cabin morning or night last week AT ALL?

No tea or coffee making options in the cabin either? No idea if they normally offer that on Princess ?

If you had the Princess Plus your gratuities would have been included.  Was that not part of your gift? 

There is of course - yes it's controversial- the opportunity to remove or reduce them.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

American sailings generally don't have them. European and UK departures do.  Not sure about Princess but certainly on Celebrity I asked for a kettle and it was provided with lots of teabags, coffee and fresh milk every day.

Re chocolate and biscuits, nightly turndown generally you can request these on the Medallion. I always have them delivered along with ice in the evening turndown.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, Megabear2 said:

If you had the Princess Plus your gratuities would have been included.  Was that not part of your gift? 

There is of course - yes it's controversial- the opportunity to remove or reduce them.

Yes we won premium plus for our cabin so didn't have to pay for our gratuities 

(We paid the cabin steward some extra cash in dollars though as he was good)

But we paid the gratuities on the cabin for our daughter and her boyfriend (as they were on a tight budget)

And I'm not relying on winning the raffle every time I travel on Princess! Lol

My point is the same that the value of P and O including gratuities FAR outweighs any of the things they no longer put in the cabin

IMO

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

(We paid the cabin steward some extra cash in dollars though as he was good)

But we paid the gratuities on the cabin for our daughter and her boyfriend 

And I'm not relying on winning the raffle every time I travel on Princess! Lol

But again you could have removed them or reduced them, there's no embarrassment in doing so and then tipping who and where you like.

I'll get shot down for saying that but it is a personal choice in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

But again you could have removed them or reduced them, there's no embarrassment in doing so and then tipping who and where you like.

I'll get shot down for saying that but it is a personal choice in my opinion.

Will consider that next time as we always like to tip the cabin steward personally in cash regardless 

The way we dine in different places all the time we don't get relationships with any other staff. Other than gym staff we also tip if we do classes with them all week

What's the process for removing them MB?

And does it impact your own personal cabin steward if you do?

Do you know?

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Will consider that next time as we always like to tip the cabin steward personally in cash regardless 

What's the process for removing them MB?

And does it impact your own personal cabin steward if you do?

Do you know?

There is a form to complete at reception.  The gratuities are supposedly shared by all and in my experience no one is personally impacted.  If service has not been good elsewhere on the ship but some have excelled I would prefer to reward them, but as I say it's personal choice.  There will be many who will advise you it would be wrong.  Incidentally you can reduce rather than remove gratuities and I have on occasion done that and then tipped those who have been directly helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

There is a form to complete at reception.  The gratuities are supposedly shared by all and in my experience no one is personally impacted.  If service has not been good elsewhere on the ship but some have excelled I would prefer to reward them, but as I say it's personal choice.  There will be many who will advise you it would be wrong.  Incidentally you can reduce rather than remove gratuities and I have on occasion done that and then tipped those who have been directly helpful.

If it's not directly impacting the steward then I would have less worries about reducing or removing 

But I get all the politics involved

Also based on Princess I would have considered reducing due to the standards not being as great as I hoped or expected tbh

Never felt like that before at the end of a cruise

Think I just expected better than we got

The buffet all week was really poor

The roasts dry and overcooked every day. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

If it's not directly impacting the steward then I would have less worries about reducing or removing 

The questionnaire is more important to the staff. That really does impact and is one of the reasons some cruise directors and captains are not shy in asking for scores of 5.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The questionnaire is more important to the staff. That really does impact and is one of the reasons some cruise directors and captains are not shy in asking for scores of 5.

The cruise director on Princess at the farewell theatre show said that named reviews for staff can help earn the following rewards for the staff:

Promotions

Speciality meals

Shore excursions

He had over 100 staff on  stage behind him

He actually said "please name as many as you can if they have impressed you!"

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It is indeed true that P&O cruises are a lot cheaper in real terms than they were, but you must keep in mind that you get a lesser product now than you used to.

Some people tend to fixate on chocolates on pillows and evening turndown (neither of which we miss) as being the sole things that have changed when, in reality, they are but two of at least a couple of dozen cutbacks. Many are minor and there are workarounds for others, but some are more significant. Those who have only commenced cruising with P&O in the past 10 years or so won’t know that many of these things have gone and, for what it’s worth, with my business head on, I think that P&Os new direction of being the principal mass market / budget operator in the U.K. makes a lot of sense. My point is simply that real terms prices are just one of many aspects in the changed P&O cruise experience, and not all the changes are positive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, Selbourne said:

It is indeed true that P&O cruises are a lot cheaper in real terms than they were, but you must keep in mind that you get a lesser product now than you used to.

Some people tend to fixate on chocolates on pillows and evening turndown (neither of which we miss) as being the sole things that have changed when, in reality, they are but two of at least a couple of dozen cutbacks. Many are minor and there are workarounds for others, but some are more significant. Those who have only commenced cruising with P&O in the past 10 years or so won’t know that many of these things have gone and, for what it’s worth, with my business head on, I think that P&Os new direction of being the principal mass market / budget operator in the U.K. makes a lot of sense. My point is simply that real terms prices are just one of many aspects in the changed P&O cruise experience, and not all the changes are positive. 

Of course

I personally like the fact that on the large ships I have so many options to elevate my experience through choice should I wish by spending more on things I value 

As do other guests of course

I think the standard/entry offering is such great value now compared to other holidays and the costs of flying and adding baggage etc

If you can find the right cruise you can start with a very  low entry price then slowly upgrade and add to improve your own personal experience

Whereas in real money terms the starting point would have been far higher in the past and options to upgrade and elevate nowhere near as many

The value of speciality restaurants for what you pay on P and O far better than Princess as well

35 us dollar cover charge per person in their Italian. Plus further upgrades for more desirable courses.

15 us dollars on top for fillet steak

5 us dollars on top for smoked salmon starter

And the quality and service not as good as epicurean either 

Overall I think we have it better than when we first cruised with RCL

Albeit I've enjoyed and valued every cruise we've done

I've been cruising about 16 years ish I think

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Princess Plus includes gratuity internet and drinks and is very good value. 

6 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Sailing from Southampton we’ve always had a tea and coffee tray. Sailing from other foreign ports we’ve requested a kettle and always had one provided. 

6 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

• Like 1