Dress code/theme question

Lozzzzz

As a newbie to Cunard, and choosing it for my perception of a 'more-encouraged dress for dinner' way of life, please can anyone confirm whether it's acceptable for black tie and long frock any night, or just themed nights. So many frocks, so few opportunities!

Always prefer to be overdressed than underdressed, but I appreciate there is a level! Thanks in advance 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lozzzzz said:

As a newbie to Cunard, and choosing it for my perception of a 'more-encouraged dress for dinner' way of life, please can anyone confirm whether it's acceptable for black tie and long frock any night, or just themed nights. So many frocks, so few opportunities!

Always prefer to be overdressed than underdressed, but I appreciate there is a level! Thanks in advance 

Most gents wear black tie only on formal nights, whether themed or not. For women there is much more variety, and I have seen quite a lot of long dresses on informal nights. Indeed, I may even have worn one myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the above, and as a male, I would normally wear a tie on smart attire nights, though probably not black tie. Ties certainly aren't a requirement on smart attire. However I don't think you can be overdressed in the evenings, and particularly a long frock would work well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Lozzzzz said:

Our last QM2 trip I wore ivory tux on two "smart attire" nights and didn't feel out of place. I'll wear that plus the two black ones over all fourteen nights on our next trips. My wife will wear a mix from mini dresses/skirt to gown, although we've made sure all her gowns are just short enough to dance in 2½" to 3" heels, as she needed to peg one of them up last time and she can't "heel turn" in anything higher.

She's likely to be in gowns six nights (three gala, three smart attire). The 20s Gala is earmarked for a calf length fringed dress.

I don't know about the other ships but I felt some of our photos were ruined by how casual I looked last time and we're keen to avoid that the next times.

Edit; I should have said I really like how you describe the dress code!

Edited by D&N
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1