Ruby princess 5/21 to alaska dining questions

I tried to reserve dining options through the phone for my entire cruise trip. The person on the phone did that.. or so i thought. When i realized that he only did it for one day, it was too late to add the other days because it was all reserved. Im cruising with some older folks that cant wait to eat at 820pm. 

According to the cruise reps, my only choice is to go on the ship and ask customer relations to reserve everyday at 6pm. 

what is my best course of action to accomplishing this?

can i go a day earlier to pick up my medallion so i dont have to wait in the blue line?

am i able to pick up medallions for my other guests?

what time should i arrive in order to be near the first to embark?

thank you! 

If medallions were not ordered they must be picked up on the day of sailing by each individual who must also have their passports with them. In a some cruises you can substitute ID and original birth certificate for passports 

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Cruise critic and the Princess forum.

Did you download the Princess Cruises App?  You can select dining on there or there is a website version of the App on the website, under your cruise personalizer…

If you used a TA, they could help too.

If they like to eat early…go when the MDR opens on the first night and ask the host/hostess if they can get you a table  every night at 5 pm, or whatever time they like.  They are very helpful and may see another MDR that is available.

You cannot go a day early, they are not going to checkin for the sailing until the actual sailing date.  You will go through a line to get inside, then follow tje blue line to pick up the medallion.  All guests do have to checkin, show passports and required documents. 
It usually goes pretty fast.  We get to the port about 10-1030 and get inboard by 1100 or so.

If the older guests need a wheelchair, you can request one from an agent from Princess, they’ll bring it around for them to board.

Edited by PacnGoNow

Once on board, you can check your app daily to see if there is any dinner time slot available at one of the three MDRs. Empty tables do come up for grab if people cancel or make changes to their dinner plan.

15 hours ago, Normantdpt said:

Thanks for the info. 

if I go line up around 930am, what are my chances of securing dinner at 6pm every night? 

I don't quite understand you question. There will not be anyone at the DRs at 9:30am. There will be one DR open on boarding day from noon until 1:30 serving lunch. You could go there and speak with the head waiter for information. There is usually a time posted in the events listing where you can get in line and meet with the Mait're' d and discuss your evening dining.  You could show up at 5pm at anyone of the 3 DRs and discuss your dining preferences. I will mention from experience that 6pm is a difficult time to enter the DR. Most DRs fill up by 5:30. Another option is to call the dining line and discuss with them.

Regarding boarding: Every person must show up, provide their passports, and have their photo taken. It's an easy and quick process. What is slower is that you will have to go through security and U.S. Immigration before you get to that point.   

9 hours ago, skynight said:

I don't quite understand you question. There will not be anyone at the DRs at 9:30am. There will be one DR open on boarding day from noon until 1:30 serving lunch. You could go there and speak with the head waiter for information. There is usually a time posted in the events listing where you can get in line and meet with the Mait're' d and discuss your evening dining.  You could show up at 5pm at anyone of the 3 DRs and discuss your dining preferences. I will mention from experience that 6pm is a difficult time to enter the DR. Most DRs fill up by 5:30. Another option is to call the dining line and discuss with them.

Regarding boarding: Every person must show up, provide their passports, and have their photo taken. It's an easy and quick process. What is slower is that you will have to go through security and U.S. Immigration before you get to that point.   

i meant if i go line up for embarkation at 930am, go bluelane to pick up medallion, and then board the boat, go to the dining room or customer relations, what are my chances of getting the 6pm dinner reservations? Ive got a balcony suite if that means anything (heard it allows you on the boat earlier?)

12 hours ago, Normantdpt said:

i meant if i go line up for embarkation at 930am, go bluelane to pick up medallion, and then board the boat, go to the dining room or customer relations, what are my chances of getting the 6pm dinner reservations? Ive got a balcony suite if that means anything (heard it allows you on the boat earlier?)

If you have an actual full suite then you are in Reserve dining and reservations are not needed or even allowed   Are you in a suite or a balcony cabin ?

29 minutes ago, memoak said:

If you have an actual full suite then you are in Reserve dining and reservations are not needed or even allowed   Are you in a suite or a balcony cabin ?

My ticket says ME. It is a mini suite

24 minutes ago, Normantdpt said:

My ticket says ME. It is a mini suite

That is a regular mini suite so you should  be able to make dinner reservations through the app or the online version of the app 

18 minutes ago, memoak said:

That is a regular mini suite so you should  be able to make dinner reservations through the app or the online version of the app 

The agent i spoke to only made reservations for the first day unfortunately despite me telling him i wanted the whole week. Now its too late as its all taken on the app.