Hyatt Place-10th St.Canceled Reservation

Received an email 5/1/24 from value trips stating Hyatt place overbooked and our reservation for 2 rooms fpr 5/17-18/24 is canceled.  Has anyone experienced this?  Don't understand how a reservation confirmed on Jan 16. suffers the loss, does not make sense.

Called hotel and was told they have a top floor room with 2 beds for $600.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomnsgirl said:

Received an email 5/1/24 from value trips stating Hyatt place overbooked and our reservation for 2 rooms fpr 5/17-18/24 is canceled.  Has anyone experienced this?  Don't understand how a reservation confirmed on Jan 16. suffers the loss, does not make sense.

We are contacting you regarding your above reservations for May 17 for 1 night.

The hotel has contacted us and, unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, they have informed us
that they are oversold for May 17 due their airline crew contract.

Because of this, they have had to cancel your Reservations.

6 hours ago, Tomnsgirl said:

We are contacting you regarding your above reservations for May 17 for 1 night.

The hotel has contacted us and, unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, they have informed us
that they are oversold for May 17 due their airline crew contract.

Because of this, they have had to cancel your Reservations.

Never happened to us.
They do have airline crew contracts.

Could they honor the rate at another Hyatt Place nearby?  Was this VT?
Worth a call to them.  Let us know.

6 hours ago, Tomnsgirl said:

I had made a VT reservation some months back, for a date this October. The reservation was booked and VT sent me the official confirmation Email. I then called the hotel to make sure they had the booking and was informed that our booked date was blacked out and VT shouldn't have allowed it to be booked. I don't know if it the cause, but Taylor Swift is closing down south Florida for concerts right on our dates, and the HP is selling for many times what we had booked through VT.  To this date, VT have not sent us a cancellation notice for our reservation.  VT is a great deal for sure, but I will ALWAYS call the hotel once I book to confirm things.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tomnsgirl said:

Sorry to hear you lost your room. Had the wife call tonight just to confirm our 5/18, 5/19 5/30,5/31 stays a week from now pre and post cruise. I have only heard of this 1 other time back about 5 years ago. Someone posted that when they arrived at Hyatt Place they were told it was overbooked and H.P. put them up in another hotel. We have been there countless times and have never had a problem.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I never book hotels through a third party....hotels give all priority to people that have booked direct.

This, exactly. I retired from the hotel biz, early on at the property level, then many years in  corporate.

Of course they will take care of their contract and frequent customers first. 

Next will be property direct reservation bookers.

Last, and most likely to be cancelled, are third party reservations from sites like VT, Expedia, etc. The third parties demand a huge discount (sometimes up to 40% plus) from the hotel, and then mark it up to sell it to you. 

Lowest rate will be the first to get cancelled. Every time. 

Even if you shop on line and find a room at a few $ cheaper on a third party site, call the property and speak to someone who can make rate decisions. Chances are, they will meet the rate you found (as long as it's legit). They still come out ahead, revenue wise. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bajathree said:

I never book hotels through a third party....hotels give all priority to people that have booked direct.

Like I said above . We have be there countless times(7-8 Pre and Post) over the last 10 years and have only heard of this happening 1 time. Mistakes do happen and they did put them in another hotel. At least O.P. was notified. We have saved well over $2,000. using Value Trips Rate. 

We were cancelled out of Hyatt Place - 10th street in 2022, and "walked" to a nearby and much less desirable hotel.  Even though we had called to confirm a few days before, and made the reservation on American Express.  Same nonsense "overbooked" even with a guaranteed late arrival.

AmEx was superb, refunded our one night's cost. Wouldn't trust a late arrival reservation to anyone else.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 11:11 AM, newcruzer2 said:

What a nightmare, sorry hope you are able to get something  else at a reasonable price. Makes me question dealing with vt

Despite the HUGE increase in hotel prices in the area for that October period, we lucked out. As soon as I found out we didn't have a valid reservation at the HP, I was able to grab the much-admired Riverside for a "normal" price before they also raised their prices. Sadly we arrive into FLL quite late so we won't be able to take advantage of the local sites and amenities, and will be heading to PE bright and early the next morning. For our following trip, in Feb, we are back at our regular Renaissance, 10 feet from Princess Terminal 2 at PE.