Restaurant Reservations-My Silversea

BBGrace273

Hello wonderful advise givers!  My restaurant reservations go live in a few days. Can someone let me know how that works? Is it by day, and then you pick the restaurant? Or is it by restaurant, and then you pick days? Just trying to make sure I get a rezo at the Silver Note, since I hear it can be difficult to get in to. And also because I'm going to be in Alaska, in Sept, and I am hearing some worrisome things about overcrowding due to several large spaces being virtually unusable in the colder weather.  Thanks, ya'll!

4 hours ago, BBGrace273 said:

Hello wonderful advise givers!  My restaurant reservations go live in a few days. Can someone let me know how that works? Is it by day, and then you pick the restaurant? Or is it by restaurant, and then you pick days? Just trying to make sure I get a rezo at the Silver Note, since I hear it can be difficult to get in to. And also because I'm going to be in Alaska, in Sept, and I am hearing some worrisome things about overcrowding due to several large spaces being virtually unusable in the colder weather.  Thanks, ya'll!

Hi BBG 

Yes, by day. 

Also, having been on the Nova for 31 days late last year, I can endorse the Silver Note as one of the best dining/entertainment venues on the ship - we went 3 times and loved it. The food, wines, service and entertainers were all excellent! Once on board, it is as you infer much harder to get into (it's quite small, part of its charm and success) vs booking well in advance. 

We booked other Nova venues in advance but generally, other than the Note, in practice found no need when on board but I'd still suggest booking up all you want when bookings open (on May 15 for the Alaska-Japan depart Sept 12 Nova trip which we are on, is this your cruise too?). (In our opinion, the upcharge restaurants are ridiculously over-hyped and over-priced, not so the Chef's Table though which we thought was excellent and well worth it once per cruise.)

Re all the Alaska top deck. open air doom-mongering here. Our cruise as above was ex NYC in mid-November and then onto Sth America, etc. So our early days were often cold and windy. Please recall: cold and windy days will negatively affect _all_ cruise ships' pool and open-air restaurants and so on. On the Nova, the semi open-air Marquee is a terrific venue in our experience, in all of food, service, wines. Re the 'cold and rain' issues: approximately 30% of the Marquee is more or less enclosed (just one open side) with excellent overhead heaters that work very well. For the open areas, there is no doubt SS erroneously neglected to install something like the 'Vergola' technology within the open-slatted roof so that rain could be prevented from entering that large 50+% of the Marquee's covered area that is exposed to rain. This simply means that with rain this large section cannot be used at all and such creates service disruptions obviously either pre-seating commencing or during it. (NB: As a 'competitive' reference, the Seabourn pool deck open-air restaurants are equally affected by cold and rain.) However, when just cold and not rainy we found that with the excellent supplied blankets we could often enjoy certainly lunch in the exposed areas (in fact the bracing atmosphere was something we liked overall), and ditto an early dinner. We often enjoyed dinner on cold days in the above-noted semi-enclosed Marquee space and occasionally completely in the open space with blankets. Of course, this will not be for everyone and, yes, on cold and/or rainy days a bit more pressure is placed on the main enclosed lower-down restaurants but we never found this in any way a serious problem or inconvenience and our first (colder) cruise sector was 100% occupied. 

Re the Nova - I can promise you that 80++% of persons who cruise on her will love the ship as we did and have just a wonderful time. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Globalia said:

Hi BBG 

Yes, by day.

We booked other Nova venues in advance but generally, other than the Note, in practice found no need when on board but I'd still suggest booking up all you want when bookings open

***Noted, thanks!

(on May 15 for the Alaska-Japan depart Sept 12 Nova trip which we are on, is this your cruise too?).

***Yes, my first cruise ever!

(In our opinion, the upcharge restaurants are ridiculously over-hyped and over-priced, not so the Chef's Table though which we thought was excellent and well worth it once per cruise.)

*** Definitely want to do the Chef's Table. Hoping it'll still be available when we board. I live for tasting menus, and though I have heard the same from others, will probably at least do La Dame, and try for the beginning of the cruise. Planning on Kaiseki for the included lunch.

Re all the Alaska top deck. open air doom-mongering here. Our cruise as above was ex NYC in mid-November and then onto Sth America, etc. So our early days were often cold and windy.

***Lovely! Actual first hand experience!

On the Nova, the semi open-air Marquee is a terrific venue in our experience, in all of food, service, wines. Re the 'cold and rain' issues: approximately 30% of the Marquee is more or less enclosed (just one open side) with excellent overhead heaters that work very well. However, when just cold and not rainy we found that with the excellent supplied blankets we could often enjoy certainly lunch in the exposed areas (in fact the bracing atmosphere was something we liked overall), and ditto an early dinner. We often enjoyed dinner on cold days in the above-noted semi-enclosed Marquee space and occasionally completely in the open space with blankets.

***LOVE to hear this. Dad and I do not mind colder weather at all. I often sit outside at restaurants in Galway, when indoors are packed, with a nice blanket. Food gets tepid a bit quicker, but I do love brisk night air.

Re the Nova - I can promise you that 80++% of persons who cruise on her will love the ship as we did and have just a wonderful time. 

***I am so very excited!!!!

Thank you so much @Globalia for your detailed reply. ❤️  I commented inside your quote with *** above to individual points. 

Two more questions:

When you make reservations, can you specify the number of people? I ask because I am travelling with my dad who is in a separate room. I had to make all the excursion reservations once through my My Silversea, and then a second time through his. (Even though we are, "connected" inside the system.)

About the pool. Was it heated at all when you were on board your cooler weather segment? I love to swim, but have heard that maybe it isn't heated at all anymore in a effort to be more green. I am hoping that maybe it is more along the lines of people who typically prefer bath water temp pools complaining that it just isn't warm "enough"... in which case I'm probably going to be happy anyway. 

All the best! And again, thanks so much! 

5 hours ago, BBGrace273 said:

Thank you so much @Globalia for your detailed reply. ❤️  I commented inside your quote with *** above to individual points. 

Two more questions:

When you make reservations, can you specify the number of people? I ask because I am travelling with my dad who is in a separate room. I had to make all the excursion reservations once through my My Silversea, and then a second time through his. (Even though we are, "connected" inside the system.)

About the pool. Was it heated at all when you were on board your cooler weather segment? I love to swim, but have heard that maybe it isn't heated at all anymore in a effort to be more green. I am hoping that maybe it is more along the lines of people who typically prefer bath water temp pools complaining that it just isn't warm "enough"... in which case I'm probably going to be happy anyway. 

All the best! And again, thanks so much! 

Hi BBG

1. Yes, you can book the restaurants for multiple numbers, to what upper numerical extent I’m not sure as I booked only up to 4 persons in each case. The system is pretty user-friendly, I’m sure you’ll quickly figure it out! 

2. I think the pool is at least ‘moderately’ heated. Not 100% certain on this as we only swam in hot weather. But I recall one or two persons who swam in the colder periods of our cruise commenting they were very happy with it. 

3. A general point. At present it’s looking like this cruise sector will certainly not be 100% occupied, 70% or so more likely which is quite typical of most trans ocean cruises. The following sector - round trip Tokyo from 1 October - which we are also on is presently 100% booked. If my assessment as above holds, subject to the $ fare and type you have today, do go back and check online with SS or your TA as you may be able to get a cheaper fare on this sailing either now or closer to Sept 12. With a ship of Nova’s size, its economics as such require SS to max out the the total $ revenue yield on board so ‘late flexible price reductions’ are not at all uncommon to incentive price-sensitive cruisers to commit late in the pre-sail months. 

Any other questions - happy to help where I can! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BBGrace273 said:

Thanks! @Globalia. Per your point #3 above. If I have already paid in full, is that still possible? (My TA is literally brand new. She's one of my best friends, and I am her guinea pig.)

@BBGrace273, yes, if you’ve paid in full it’s harder but still not impossible in my experience, depends upon circumstances of a particular cruise and/or period when SS want to ensure pax don’t feel justly upset when in effect way over-charged when they see a much-reduced fare arrive for their cruise. The core economics of cruise companies in their most compelling form is their certain knowledge that they must get cruisers coming back for multiple more cruises - every year finding many ‘new to cruise’ customers is just too expensive for them, repetitive business is crucial. Also the possible opportunity I mentioned frankly depends upon the depth of your TA’s links in with key SS local staff - these relationships where strong can produce wonders to our benefit at times.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BBGrace273 said:

Thanks! @Globalia. Per your point #3 above. If I have already paid in full, is that still possible? (My TA is literally brand new. She's one of my best friends, and I am her guinea pig.)

And if you find that a particular reservation that you want don’t despair. The policy is that 50% of the reservations are kept until on board. So when you board make the reservations you want early. Ring reception or get your butler to make the reservations.

• Like 1

I'll do everyone a favor by sharing when does Restaurant Reservations open for Silver Nova on the Vancouver to Tokyo sailing.

First off... I have to say that Silversea Customer Service does not pass off a good vibe that it is a high end cruise line. Talking to them is like pulling teeth with complete inexperienced people.

Restaurant Reservations will open tonight at 8PM EST or 2am Monaco time.

• Thanks 2

One thing that Silversea does not allow you to do is to make reservations for multiple venues on the same day.

For example, I would like to go to Silver Note at 7pm have some bites then head over to The Grill later for some hot stones steak. I am not able to do that. 

10 hours ago, agape01 said:

One thing that Silversea does not allow you to do is to make reservations for multiple venues on the same day.

For example, I would like to go to Silver Note at 7pm have some bites then head over to The Grill later for some hot stones steak. I am not able to do that. 

Nor, IMO, should you be able to. A bit selfish to take two spots in one evening in reservation restaurants.

Silver Note starts at 8pm anyway.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, agape01 said:

Hi, Silver Note opens at 8pm so that is why you can't go at 7.

13 hours ago, agape01 said:

It would make more sense to book The Grill for dinner, then later pop into Silver Note and sit at the bar to listen to music.  No booking required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Nor, IMO, should you be able to. A bit selfish to take two spots in one evening in reservation restaurants.

Silver Note starts at 8pm anyway.

Your timing is wrong 

Silver Note opens at 7pm and there are 3 seatings of 1hr for each seating.

Screenshot_2024-05-15-22-32-58-49_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.9ccfdcf9cb3caff3a039d63bdef02d4c.jpg

They must have changed it and it usually takes way more than an hour to eat there.

Having been multiple times, it has never been open at 7. 

3 minutes ago, Lois R said:

They must have changed it and it usually takes way more than an hour to eat there.

Having been multiple times, it has never been open at 7. 

Thanks for the heads up. This is my first Silversea cruise and I don't know what I am expecting. 

4 minutes ago, agape01 said:

Thanks for the heads up. This is my first Silversea cruise and I don't know what I am expecting. 

My best suggestion is to check after you board the ship. See the previous post......I have to agree with it. Every cruise I have taken, Silver Note opened at 8.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, agape01 said:

Your timing is wrong 

Silver Note opens at 7pm and there are 3 seatings of 1hr for each seating.

Screenshot_2024-05-15-22-32-58-49_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.9ccfdcf9cb3caff3a039d63bdef02d4c.jpg

Those times are the arrival times to the restaurant, to stagger output from the kitchen. They do not mean you have an hour to eat your meal!   The 7pm opening is new to many of us though.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Those times are the arrival times to the restaurant, to stagger output from the kitchen. They do not mean you have an hour to eat your meal!   The 7pm opening is new to many of us though.

New specifically for Silver Note, I hope that is what you meant. All the other restaurants do open at 7.

I think the illustration is the same for all the restaurants requiring reservations. If you choose "early" 7-8 for Silver Note it will be confirmed, but you won't be able to enter until 8. And if door doesn't open until 8, you can't sit at the bar for a drink either (before 8). IIRC

• Like 2