Haven lobsters

16 hours ago, DorothyB said:

So if enough of us complain about missing round hash browns . . . 

Given all the whining already, I'm thinking NCL is holding firm on no greasy hockey pucks. I so miss them! Seriously - they're yummy. And yes, I know many aficionados of the loose hash browns (as Waffle House apparently has) will scoff at my desire for a fried greasy hot potato in circular, triangular, or whatever shaped form. 

15 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Please no!

There is only one place I'll get hasnbrowns.  It's not from any cruise line's restaurant....

https://www.ajc.com/entertainment/dining/your-guide-waffle-house-hash-browns/u6FvGwLoPboYIaz6hFukGP/

Golly, the last time I was in a Waffle House was way back when the Braves were battling the Twins in the World Series and I was in single digits! I have no recollection of the food. Just a grainy, (it was actually) color TV, and some World Series action on the screen. 

Anyway, the only acceptable restaurant hash browns like those come from Snow City Cafe in Anchorage. The rest are just a disappointing mass of uncooked/burnt potato with some oil thrown in. No thank you! I'll have to try a Waffle House next time I'm in the southland to see if they add up - based on photos, I'm thinking no. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

Waffle House has the bets hash browns.  There is not even a second place!

That's a major truth!  Not interested in any round, square, oblong, etc sad hash browns, on NCL...or anywhere else for that matter.

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Anyway, the only acceptable restaurant hash browns like those come from Snow City Cafe in Anchorage. The rest are just a disappointing mass of uncooked/burnt potato with some oil thrown in. No thank you! I'll have to try a Waffle House next time I'm in the southland to see if they add up - based on photos, I'm thinking no. 

Just like a Yankee.  I'll bet grits aren't one of your favorites either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

Just like a Yankee.  I'll bet grits aren't one of your favorites either.

Hahaha - A Yankee from the south...well not me, but my fam! Grits with Velveeta, now that's where it's at! Mmmmm, throw a bit (or a lot) of bacon grease in and I'll be fine eating grits for breakfast every day! Corn bread ain't sweet, either! Collards need salt pork, black eyed peas need a few ham hocks. All learned from a lady from Shelby County, good sir!  I just can't do no chitlins though...that's the Yankee in me! 

Give me that spice, seasoning, and fat. No hash browns on the grill have satisfied me except those I mentioned earlier as they're not properly cooked, have virtually no seasoning, and oil is used. Throw a lot of salt, pepper, butter, and maybe a wee bit of chili powder in them. Now those would be all sorts of yum!

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hahaha - A Yankee from the south...well not me, but my fam! Grits with Velveeta, now that's where it's at! Mmmmm, throw a bit (or a lot) of bacon grease in and I'll be fine eating grits for breakfast every day! Corn bread ain't sweet, either! Collards need salt pork, black eyed peas need a few ham hocks. All learned from a lady from Shelby County, good sir!  I just can't do no chitlins though...that's the Yankee in me! 

Give me that spice, seasoning, and fat. No hash browns on the grill have satisfied me except those I mentioned earlier as they're not properly cooked, have virtually no seasoning, and oil is used. Throw a lot of salt, pepper, butter, and maybe a wee bit of chili powder in them. Now those would be all sorts of yum!

My apologies for calling you a Yankee.  Obviously, you would be perfectly fine here in Alabama.

Personally, I like a couple of over easy eggs mixed in with my hashbrowns.  Pretty good with grits too.

You need to go to a greasy spoon restaurant to get good hashbrowns.  I've yet to visit one which  undercooked the hashbrowns.

You did leave out the chicken fried steak smothered in gravy.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

My apologies for calling you a Yankee.  Obviously, you would be perfectly fine here in Alabama.

Personally, I like a couple of over easy eggs mixed in with my hashbrowns.  Pretty good with grits too.

You need to go to a greasy spoon restaurant to get good hashbrowns.  I've yet to visit one which  undercooked the hashbrowns.

You did leave out the chicken fried steak smothered in gravy.

Oh. My. Gosh! Chicken fried steak! Yes, please....why is southern food so good, but also good for an expanding waist line? Moderation, I know. 

I agree with the over easy eggs - good idea to mix them in. I'll try that next time they're served up to me. Thanks for the suggestion! I absolutely will mix eggs with my grits if eggs are on the menu. Yum...now get me out of NY and on my way south. Or, I just need some time to get in the kitchen. 

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh. My. Gosh! Chicken fried steak! Yes, please....why is southern food so good, but also good for an expanding waist line? Moderation, I know. 

I agree with the over easy eggs - good idea to mix them in. I'll try that next time they're served up to me. Thanks for the suggestion! I absolutely will mix eggs with my grits if eggs are on the menu. Yum...now get me out of NY and on my way south. Or, I just need some time to get in the kitchen. 

Lot's of NY moving south.  Why not you?

BTW, I had chicken fried steak last night at a new dinner that just opened for dinner. They've been serving breakfast and lunches for a few months.  The fried okra and pinto beans were fantastic too.

FWIW, the best Chicken Fried Steak I've ever had was in Camden Arkansas.  I promise, it was a big as a plate.  They served the mashed potatos side in a separate bowl.  Both smothered in white gravey.

there is only 1 place I go to for chicken Fried Steak ( and I don't go out to breakfast except when traveling), and that is Family Pancake House in West Bremerton, Wa.  Just the right amount of seasoning and thickens in the gravy.  Whenever I get to Bremerton, that's on my list.  I dont even try anywhere else, always dissapointed.

3 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

there is only 1 place I go to for chicken Fried Steak ( and I don't go out to breakfast except when traveling), and that is Family Pancake House in West Bremerton, Wa.  Just the right amount of seasoning and thickens in the gravy.  Whenever I get to Bremerton, that's on my list.  I dont even try anywhere else, always dissapointed.

I believe chicken fried steak should have coating similar to KRC extra chrispy.