Best Bridge camera for 2024

What bridge camera are you happy with?  I’m heading to Alaska in July and want something with a better zoom than my iPhone.   I can’t do compact camera because I have a hard time with the grip.  Same problem with my iPhone, I just can’t get comfortable taking pics with it.  I do not want to change lens.  Also, my pick would have been the Panasonic FZ300 until I noticed it came into production I’m 2015.  However, it seems to do everything I want it to do.  🤷‍♀️.  The newer model DC FZ 1000 II  is way more expensive, but could swing it.    Any other models that I’m overlooking. Thanks for your help.

The current bridge cameras have all been out for several years - I don't recall seeing recent announcements.

You may want to consider rental or used equipment instead of purchase.

The FZ300 / FZ330 / Leica VLux 4 is a small sensor camera - it is weather sealed, with a constant f/2.8 aperture zoom lens. I would rate it as 'most likely to replace my FZ50'. The compact size, reasonable price and bright lens for the zoom range are all tied to the smaller sensor.

The Nikon P950 and P1000 are the kings of zoom magnification - they put a huge lens in front of the small sensor.

The 'one inch' sensor cameras Panasonic [FZ1000, FZ1000mk2 [Leica VLux5], FZ2500] and Sony RX10 series have a different set of compromises. The larger sensor requires a larger lens for the equivalent zoom range, along with larger overall size. The Sony RX10mk4 is weather sealed, and has the fanciest electronics so is most suited for action photos.

11 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

The current bridge cameras have all been out for several years - I don't recall seeing recent announcements.

You may want to consider rental or used equipment instead of purchase.

The FZ300 / FZ330 / Leica VLux 4 is a small sensor camera - it is weather sealed, with a constant f/2.8 aperture zoom lens. I would rate it as 'most likely to replace my FZ50'. The compact size, reasonable price and bright lens for the zoom range are all tied to the smaller sensor.

The Nikon P950 and P1000 are the kings of zoom magnification - they put a huge lens in front of the small sensor.

The 'one inch' sensor cameras Panasonic [FZ1000, FZ1000mk2 [Leica VLux5], FZ2500] and Sony RX10 series have a different set of compromises. The larger sensor requires a larger lens for the equivalent zoom range, along with larger overall size. The Sony RX10mk4 is weather sealed, and has the fanciest electronics so is most suited for action photos.

Thank you so much, I’ve been researching all day and still can’t decide to take my iPhone 13 max or buy a bridge or compact camera for Alaska. Wish I could just drop dollars on the Sony RX 10, but a few vacations a year doesn’t justify it for me.  In the mean time, I’ll keep reading and learning.  Thank you for posting 

My opinion of course, for Alaska go with a bridge camera with a long optical zoom lens.  I have a canon powershot SX540 which I'm very happy with. I believe the current model of my camera is the SX70 HS and Walmart has it online for just under $600.

Cell phones mostly a use digital zoom for distance pics which reduces image quality. Compact cameras don't have the super long optical zoom lens.  If you like the Panasonic FZ300 then buy it and don't second guess yourself.

I like my Canon SX740 with a 40X zoom.  I bought it because it is small enough to fit in my pocket.  Very happy with the options a picture quality.