Queen Mary 2 - Possible Newbie Questions

Liao

Hi All, Thank you in advance for any information provided.  I'm generally a Celebrity TA cruiser with a very occassional winter cruise to the Caribbean, though those itineraries are getting very tiresome.  I honestly primarily cruise for the ship and sea days, which most of my TA's are 8 total and at some ports I don't leave the ship.  Thus my long held interest in trying a true transatlantic on QM2.  I'm very happy with the service level on Celebrity and hoping QM2 is equal too.  I'd be booking a Queen's Suite (I usually stay in upper suites on Celebrity) if that makes a difference.  The webiste is not as detailed as I thought it might be, so any information you can share in this level, benefits of etc. would be appreciated.  I sail solo but am an outgoing and friendly person, 64 yo, and as much as I really enjoy meeting new folks, I also enjoy my own quiet time as well, so I am hoping for the best of both worlds in both regards.  Would it be appropriate to ask to be seated with others on some nights and alone on others, sometime I just want to eat quietly.  I suppose some of this comes from politely needing to get away if table mates are wanting to get to engaged in politics, societal issues, religion, sharing family photo albums (kidding on this one...sort of).  I've read mixed reviews on the recent refurbishment, curious as to thoughts on that, although, it will not stop me from making a booking.  I just want to guage where she is at I suppose.  Anyway, sorry for being so long winded and while I know none of this gets you to "know" me, I just hope my cruising style comes through and will appreciate hearing from others, especially those who have also made a similiar leap.  Cheers!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cunard seems to fit your cruising style very well. It’s true that Cunard’s marketing is sometimes wordy without getting to the point about Grills benefits. Attached is a brochure form the website. 

The only problem I see about your mealtime arrangements is it would be hard to change seating because every passenger has an assigned table for the voyage and it’s “anytime” dining. It may be difficult to eat solo one night then change tables to eat with others the next. Solution - request a table to sit with others as your main table then on solo nights, order room service from the same menu in the QG and eat in your suite. Just communicate with the M’d or head waiter. You still then have the whole ship and Grills Lounge at your disposal. 
Others who have a more Grills experience than I can add more. 
Also remember that Cunard is more formally attired than Celebrity so try to embrace that attire. However, it’s not as formal however as years past and there is a calm and relaxed vibe onboard. 
Sounds like you’re making a great choice. 

Grills .pdf

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, NE John said:

Cunard seems to fit your cruising style very well. It’s true that Cunard’s marketing is sometimes wordy without getting to the point about Grills benefits. Attached is a brochure form the website. 

The only problem I see about your mealtime arrangements is it would be hard to change seating because every passenger has an assigned table for the voyage and it’s “anytime” dining. It may be difficult to eat solo one night then change tables to eat with others the next. Solution - request a table to sit with others as your main table then on solo nights, order room service from the same menu in the QG and eat in your suite. Just communicate with the M’d or head waiter. You still then have the whole ship and Grills Lounge at your disposal. 
Also remember that Cunard is more formally attired than Celebrity so try to embrace that attire. However, it’s not as formal however as years past and there is a calm and relaxed vibe onboard. 

Grills .pdf 29.11 MB · 2 downloads

If you book a grills suite, you can dine down stairs so to speak in the main Britannia dining room at a table for one using the newish anytime dinig option (Reservation required) Ambiance is excellent, food good but not as varied nor will there be table side carving etc. But you will get the quiet table in a very fine dining space on a very fine ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On a recent QG trip on QE, we arrived to the dining room to be told we had been assigned a table of 8, much to our horror. We asked for a table for 2 and were immediately changed to a fabulous window table. We interacted with our neighbouring diners on most occasions. They were usually finishing up as we were leaving but it was a nice light chat each time we saw them. Depending on the time you like to dine, if you are at a larger group table who regularly dine at say 6pm you can always arrive later when they have finished their meal and have the table for 8 pretty much to yourself. 

Alternatively as NE John said, as you can have course by course QG dining as room service in your cabin, anytime you don't feel particularly social.

Another good option is either the Verandah or Speciality Restaurant pop ups if you want to dine solo, both at a minimal extra cost.

QM2 QG restaurant has tables for 2 close together.. at least ours were. We were effectively on a table for 2 but also on a table for 6 when we wanted to be (chatting to the tables on either side). Best of both worlds and sounds exactly what you are looking for. Ask the maitre'd for a table in the middle of a row of tables for 2...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

QM2 QG restaurant has tables for 2 close together.. at least ours were. We were effectively on a table for 2 but also on a table for 6 when we wanted to be (chatting to the tables on either side). Best of both worlds and sounds exactly what you are looking for. Ask the maitre'd for a table in the middle of a row of tables for 2...

Great advice!  Thank you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

On a recent QG trip on QE, we arrived to the dining room to be told we had been assigned a table of 8, much to our horror. We asked for a table for 2 and were immediately changed to a fabulous window table. We interacted with our neighbouring diners on most occasions. They were usually finishing up as we were leaving but it was a nice light chat each time we saw them. Depending on the time you like to dine, if you are at a larger group table who regularly dine at say 6pm you can always arrive later when they have finished their meal and have the table for 8 pretty much to yourself. 

Alternatively as NE John said, as you can have course by course QG dining as room service in your cabin, anytime you don't feel particularly social.

Another good option is either the Verandah or Speciality Restaurant pop ups if you want to dine solo, both at a minimal extra cost.

I really like that approach the larger group could provide reason to casually just move to another conversation.  If full meal service is provided I would definitely enjoy in my room on a couple nights.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NE John said:

Grills .pdf 29.11 MB · 8 downloads

I do like the idea of dressing up and I actually bought a new tux last year thinking I was going to try QM2 then.  

• Like 2

I should point out that this is very easy to do in Britannia, not Club though. With Open dining you are asked each night whether you prefer to share a table or not, so you can swap from night to night. As a Grills passenger you can have breakfast and lunch in Britannia, but not the evening dinner.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I should point out that this is very easy to do in Britannia, not Club though. With Open dining you are asked each night whether you prefer to share a table or not, so you can swap from night to night. As a Grills passenger you can have breakfast and lunch in Britannia, but not the evening dinner.

Ok so they don’t automatically assign a table for the duration?  Or is that optional on request?

10 minutes ago, Liao said:

Ok so they don’t automatically assign a table for the duration?  Or is that optional on request?

No, that isn't how Open Dining works. Those on fixed sittings do get a fixed table, but on Open you are asked every night.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Liao said:

Are you asking about Grills or Britannia? For the Grills you are assigned a table and wait staff for the duration of your voyage and that is your and only your table for the duration. To me, that is very appealing.
Britannia is the beautiful Art Deco MDR that is divided between fixed and open seating. There is a busier atmosphere there but no table-side theatrics of the Grills. In addition, you can also sneak in very good pub lunches at the Golden Lion pub and lighter breakfast/lunch bites at the Carinthia Lounge. There are plenty of places to take a solo break from the Grills. 
Plus, since you are from the US, make sure you take advantage of the Grills Promo covering drinks up to $12 and paid gratuities. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, NE John said:

Are you asking about Grills or Britannia? For the Grills you are assigned a table and wait staff for the duration of your voyage and that is your and only your table for the duration. To me, that is very appealing.
Britannia is the beautiful Art Deco MDR that is divided between fixed and open seating. There is a busier atmosphere there but no table-side theatrics of the Grills. In addition, you can also sneak in very good pub lunches at the Golden Lion pub and lighter breakfast/lunch bites at the Carinthia Lounge. There are plenty of places to take a solo break from the Grills. 
Plus, since you are from the US, make sure you take advantage of the Grills Promo covering drinks up to $12 and paid gratuities. 

I believe Grills, if that is the designated restaurant for Queen level suite?  I love the sound of the pub, me and pub grub get along really well!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Liao said:

I believe Grills, if that is the designated restaurant for Queen level suite?  I love the sound of the pub, me and pub grub get along really well!

Yes Queens Grill is your designated restaurant and that comes with a fixed table throughout, though in extremis you can be moved if your original allocation makes you uncomfortable. Open dining is for Britannia, where swapping tables is the norm, and that's different to Queens Grill. The point I am attempting to make is that if table flexibility is a big factor for you then Britannia may work better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate this information about how open dining (in Britannia) works.  For our TA I booked late, and that's all that was left, although I suspected it might be a better choice for us anyway.

I'll be traveling with my teenage daughter.  I reckoned:  

She might not want to commit to a regular schedule.

She might not always (ever?!) want to eat with other people.

She might not always want a long fancy-restaurant style dinner.

Thanks to Pushpit, I'm thinking that some nights we'll go together and see how she'd want to socialize; other nights I could go by myself and ask to sit with others; and perhaps still other nights I could go by myself and read my book!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tattycoram said:

I appreciate this information about how open dining (in Britannia) works.  For our TA I booked late, and that's all that was left, although I suspected it might be a better choice for us anyway.

I'll be traveling with my teenage daughter.  I reckoned:  

She might not want to commit to a regular schedule.

She might not always (ever?!) want to eat with other people.

She might not always want a long fancy-restaurant style dinner.

Thanks to Pushpit, I'm thinking that some nights we'll go together and see how she'd want to socialize; other nights I could go by myself and ask to sit with others; and perhaps still other nights I could go by myself and read my book!

That’s the perfect way to cruise!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Liao said:

That’s the perfect way to cruise!

Please keep in mind the a big part of the premium price paid for being in the Queens Grills (and Princess Grill too) is the higher level of dining experiences you will have there. So while enjoying other dining venues, make sure you focus most of your eating time in QG. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NE John said:

Please keep in mind the a big part of the premium price paid for being in the Queens Grills (and Princess Grill too) is the higher level of dining experiences you will have there. So while enjoying other dining venues, make sure you focus most of your eating time in QG. 

Indeed. On our crossing we went to Steakhouse once, but ate every other meal in QG. Will do one or two options on QA in a few weeks.

@Liao I think you'll be fine in QG restaurant; I think the first timers are given tables that are "separate" but are only apart by about 30cm. It worked great for us - we could chat with others when they or us felt like it, but you don't have to as you are on your own table. Grills in QA looks a bit less cosy

• Like 2

@Liao, you have come to the right place. This forum is the headquarters for a wealth of Cunard information and opinions. I am a new disciple, having only two sailings under my belt, but I have booked another FOUR voyages with Cunard! There are many well-travelled and knowledgeable Cunarders on this site, just keep asking and you will get accurate answers. Please book a Transatlantic on Cunard, I have booked mine for 2026 and I am pretty sure it will be a once in a lifetime experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

@Liao, you have come to the right place. This forum is the headquarters for a wealth of Cunard information and opinions. I am a new disciple, having only two sailings under my belt, but I have booked another FOUR voyages with Cunard! There are many well-travelled and knowledgeable Cunarders on this site, just keep asking and you will get accurate answers. Please book a Transatlantic on Cunard, I have booked mine for 2026 and I am pretty sure it will be a once in a lifetime experience.

"Veteran" Cunarders have vast experience thru their Loyalty to the Cunard Line.

Many passengers want to try other Lines and Ships but Cunarders are Loyal Repeaters voyage after voyage. Even taking advantage of inquiring on board and booking while on board. Even always looking forward to the next year(s) ex. 2025, 2026, 2027 sailing schedule of cruises.

When on board, there is even a challenge of finding enough space for those Platinum and Diamond members at the CWC Gatherings. "We Are Cunarders, We Are Loyal"....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

"Veteran" Cunarders have vast experience thru their Loyalty to the Cunard Line.

Many passengers want to try other Lines and Ships but Cunarders are Loyal Repeaters voyage after voyage. Even taking advantage of inquiring on board and booking while on board. Even always looking forward to the next year(s) ex. 2025, 2026, 2027 sailing schedule of cruises.

When on board, there is even a challenge of finding enough space for those Platinum and Diamond members at the CWC Gatherings. "We Are Cunarders, We Are Loyal"....

Ah ok but loyal cruisers on other lines do the exact same.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 8:35 PM, Liao said:

The webiste is not as detailed as I thought it might be

I actually read the benefits of dining at the Grills level and the marketing material is confusing. It states you can dine at your Grills restaurant anytime between 6:30-9:30 pm. They don’t mention (and should highly emphasize) that you have that table for the entire voyage and you can dine anytime when the restaurant is open for all three meals. This fact may seem obvious to those who have enjoyed that experience but one may not appreciate that benefit from the lack of detail, as the OP, noticed. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NE John said:

I actually read the benefits of dining at the Grills level and the marketing material is confusing. It states you can dine at your Grills restaurant anytime between 6:30-9:30 pm. They don’t mention (and should highly emphasize) that you have that table for the entire voyage and you can dine anytime when the restaurant is open for all three meals. This fact may seem obvious to those who have enjoyed that experience but one may not appreciate that benefit from the lack of detail, as the OP, noticed. 

Thank you, NE John, as you are correct, that was not clear, well to me anyway.  I've been reading back on a number of different posts here, have been helpful, while I must also admit, some have made me chuckle!  I've narrowed down to two cruises, Oct 2025 or Nov. 2025, both show availability for the suite level I am interested in.  Do QM2 crossings typically sell fast and/or frequesntly sail full?  If sailing full, does the ship feel crowded, or is it still a comfort level of easy maneuvering?  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Liao said:

Thank you, NE John, as you are correct, that was not clear, well to me anyway.  I've been reading back on a number of different posts here, have been helpful, while I must also admit, some have made me chuckle!  I've narrowed down to two cruises, Oct 2025 or Nov. 2025, both show availability for the suite level I am interested in.  Do QM2 crossings typically sell fast and/or frequesntly sail full?  If sailing full, does the ship feel crowded, or is it still a comfort level of easy maneuvering?  

TA’s usually sell out and the ship will not feel full. A major exception -  Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room. Get there 1/2 early. It’s busy for a reason too.
There is also a nice Afternoon Tea in the Grills Lounge served with loose tea and everything else. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 3