Vancouver, Canada questions

We are flying in on 5/16 for our cruise on 5/17. We are staying at the Pan Pacific Hotel. We are looking at taking the SkyTrain from the airport to downtown. First question is how far away is the station from the Pan Pacific? Is it walkable? Second question is some recommendations for local places to eat that's close to the Pan Pacific? Thank you all for your input.

John

19 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Easily walkable and mainly flat (slightly downhill).

What would you like to eat and how 'fancy'?

We are pretty open when it comes to eating. Not looking for anything too 'fancy'. Just a nice sit down dinner. 

Posted (edited)

Do yourself a favor and use Google maps to map the transit directions from YVR to the Pan Pacific.  Looks like you'll get off the train at the Vancouver City Centre Station and you'll walk about 5 blocks to the hotel.  Google Maps will give you a really good idea of time distance and walking route.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ds5tkHSRNhZ4PHVG6

Edited by jeromep

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jeromep said:

Do yourself a favor and use Google maps to map the transit directions from YVR to the Pan Pacific.  Looks like you'll get off the train at the Vancouver City Centre Station and you'll walk about 5 blocks to the hotel.  Google Maps will give you a really good idea of time distance and walking route.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ds5tkHSRNhZ4PHVG6

This is a good example of why directions given by on-line maps (and gps for that matter) should not be taken as gospel.

The Canada Line from YVR terminates at the Canada Line Waterfront Station (near corner of Granville and W. Hastings).  Canada Place/Pan Pacific is a very short and easy walk from there.

For a decent sit down meal, try Five Sails, Chop Steak House or ARC.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sitting at YVR as I type...  SkyTrain could NOT be easier.  Ends at Waterfront Station, Pan Pacific is simply minutes away. Tons of places nearby to eat & drink.  Tons.

• Like 1

I'd agree that Waterfront is much closer than City Centre - and am genuinely bemused at the google map link above, because every time I enter those same points on Google myself it suggests to get off the train at Waterfront! Something weird with the mobile version!?

Anyhoo - for some more moderately priced dining options, there's nice Vancouver pub grub (i.e. all the typical fare plus at least a few Asian dishes like sushi & noodles; also salmon and halibut is typical as well as the classic cod for fish & chips) I'd hit up Tap & Barrel (sit outside if nice weather) or Rogue (inside Waterfront station, more US beers than T&B); for something a little bit swankier try Cactus Club which has huge windows so you get a nice view even if its chilly. All of these have multiple branches around town, as well as the super-convenient ones within 5 mins walk of the PP - so if you want to stretch your legs before dinner, you could try other locations e.g. English Bay CC if its close to sunset gets some fine views.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone. I am typing this from my room at the Pan Pacific hotel. I will have to say that using the sky train was the best decision I made. Easy to purchase the passes and left me off about a couple blocks away which was super easy to walk. I was able to find a nice moderately costing location to eat for the whole family. 

• Like 2

Would you mind sharing which restaurant you ate at - would be nice to have it for a reference and perhaps some of us locals might want to use it if we haven't already.