Help Choosing Norway Cruise

Looking at two Celebrity Apex cruises to Norway next year. Would appreciate any suggestions between the two. Leaning toward the May 17 cruise with the extra night, but wasn't sure if Flam on the May 10th cruise would make it the better of the two. We have cruised Europe several times, but never to Norway. Also, would May be too early for Norway? Thanks for any help you might give.

May 10, 2025, 7 nights

·  Southampton, England

·  Nordfjordeid, Norway

·  Flam, Norway

·  Geiranger, Norway

·  Bruges, (Zeebrugge)

·  Southampton, England

May 17, 2025, 8 nights

·  Southampton, England

·  Bruges, (Zeebrugge)

·  Olden, Norway

·  Geiranger, Norway

·  Alesund, Norway

·  Bergen, Norway

·  Southampton, England

Both itineraries have two deep fjords - 10 May has the best fjords to Flåm and Geiranger, but Olden is a really good substitute for Flåm.
Flåm has the railway and Olden has Loen Skylift. Almost same fjords - Aurland fjord into Flåm is a UNESCO heritage fjord.
That said, 17 May has a better itinerary as it also includes Bergen and Ålesund - two very nice and interesting coastal cities -  the extra night allows for one more port.

Nordfjordeid is a small and less interesting port.

Personally I would chose May 17.

Weather-wise, there aren't that many differences from May 10 to 17 - roads to viewpoints in Geiranger are probably closed throughout May.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

Personally I would chose May 17.

Weather-wise, there aren't that many differences from May 10 to 17 - roads to viewpoints in Geiranger are probably closed throughout May.

The road to the highest viewpoint opens seasonally between Mid May and early June.  Our cruise left May 18th and we missed the Geiranger road opening by 2 days.  The other viewpoints in Geiranger were really lovely though.

I'd also vote for the May 17th date, with Olden, Geiranger and Flam having been my 3 favorite ports in Norway.  Alesund is much beloved on these forums, but I didn't have the chance to visit.  Have a great trip!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'd pick FLAM for the train ..... been to most place mentioned ...   Flam train

image.thumb.jpeg.0df9c35057e6693861c2660fa44824fa.jpeg

Flam with no cruise ship<s>

image.thumb.jpeg.af007206c25fc5655e60a9aab3440d36.jpeg

But then again I'd not pick a Norway cruise with begin / end in South' ...

cruise 2018_Into_the_Midnight_Sun.jpg

we did return as Bergen Flam <over nite>  Oslo via train/bus/ferry/train/train <Norway in a Nutshell>

cruise 2023.webp

Edited by Capt_BJ

21 hours ago, Eno said:

I’m on the May 10th cruise. Hubby had to have Flam for the train.  

It's a great train and I hope you have a lovely trip!  Just get there early to get good seats - most seats have a good view but a few don't so you want to line up a little early.

Want to buy tickets on my own, worst case will be an excursion through the cruise line.  The train is a must do.  Cancelled an Alaskan cruise when there were issues with the Skagway train.

Thanks for the comments. Still leaning toward the May 17, 8 day cruise because of the extra ports. Torn on Flam since it will not be available going forward.

Is the train pretty much it to do in Flam or are there other things? Is the sail into Flam the main reason to book it.

Thanks. Rick

1 hour ago, rdt10 said:

Is the train pretty much it to do in Flam or are there other things? Is the sail into Flam the main reason to book it.

Mainly The fjord. 

The Aurlandsfjord into Flåm (as well as Nærøyfjord) are two of the worlds most beautiful and dramatic fjords.  

Together with Geirangerfjord they are UNESCO’s World Heritage.

The train is one of several attractions in Flåm.

From January 2026, 'Zero Emission zones' will be introduced in the Norwegian UNESCO Heritage fjords and the possibility of visiting these fjords on a cruise will be severely limited.

• Like 1

I would choose the 17 May for the variety. You still get two popular fjord ports, but Bergen is a wonderful port to explore and Ålesund brings another different flavor with its art deco architecture.

I like Flåm, and the train is a fun trip even though you don’t get much fjord scenery, but I wouldn’t trade the other ports on the 17 May itinerary for it. Especially since it’s also easily accessible on a land trip (You can connect to the Flåmsbana from the main rail line between Oslo and Bergen).

this pretty much shows everything in FLAM ... at the top of the mountain is the train station (connect to Bergen <> Oslo) and that's it ... On the Flam railway is one ski resort near the top and a zipline attraction. One popular activity is to take the train up then bike DOWN which can be combined with the zip ... but the bike ride is not ALL on roads so be aware . .  .

flam map.jpg

Thanks for all of the input. We booked the 8 night cruise. Would have liked to go to Flam, but will enjoy the ports on the longer cruise.

• Thanks 1