Geiranger - hike to Flydalsjuvet from ship?

Posted (edited)

Although I have searched, I was hoping to get some recent feedback on possibly hiking from the cruise port to the Fjord Center, and then on to Flydalsjuvet. Has anyone tried this? It's listed as 3km and 52 minutes from the Fjord Center.  We are in port from noon to 7pm.

The Ho Ho bus would be perfect as it does the same route, but the reviews are so terrible.  We don't want to do a full bus tour. 

Also may consider the E-cars 

image.png.01718405c3db2ca03504aa4f8705fdb6.png

Edited by ColoradoMom!!

Yes, it is possible to walk from Geiranger to Flydalsjuvet - it is a 4 km quite steep road - it will take just over an hour.

It is possible to walk along the road but there should also be a footpath, The climb is very steep, slippery and overgrown with plants, caution is advised.

• Thanks 1

If you don’t mind a slightly different angle, you can avoid the crowds and the roads by hiking up to Vesteråsfjellet. There’s a nice but moderate-level trail that departs from behind the Hotel Union and heads up to Vesterås Farm. From there, there’s an easy walk along a farm road to the overlook.

The local trail map is available online:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/upload/pdf/TurKart.pdf

• Thanks 1

@kaisatsu  Wow I just found a video - gorgeous.  Are we really allowed to just hike along the trail next to the farm and animals?  Do the owners mind?  

The video continued on to an overlook, but the trail looked very rugged and through a stream. I wonder if it is one in the same.  I'll keep investigating but really appreciate the suggestion - I'm glad we can combine it with seeing the Fjord Center.  I'm thinking we should walk the road up to the Fjord Center and on past the Hotel Union, and take the water lined staircase back down from the center when we are done for the day.  Any flaw in that thought?

14 hours ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

@kaisatsu  Wow I just found a video - gorgeous.  Are we really allowed to just hike along the trail next to the farm and animals?  Do the owners mind?  

The video continued on to an overlook, but the trail looked very rugged and through a stream. I wonder if it is one in the same.  I'll keep investigating but really appreciate the suggestion - I'm glad we can combine it with seeing the Fjord Center.  I'm thinking we should walk the road up to the Fjord Center and on past the Hotel Union, and take the water lined staircase back down from the center when we are done for the day.  Any flaw in that thought?

I don't see an advantage to hiking up the road to the Fjord Center.  Just use the staircase by the waterfalls both directions.  It's a nice walk.

I can't help with the rest of the hike up to Flydalsjuvet.  Our tour took us up there and back by bus.  We had the option to walk back down via the staircase, which I did.

We rented the e-car last year and had a lot of fun. Drove all the way up to Dalsnibba. The car is loaded with a GPS that alerts you of all the main sights. We made several stops along the way back, including Flydalsjuvet.

Dalsnibba.jpg

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

Are we really allowed to just hike along the trail next to the farm and animals?

The farm caters to tourists with a small cafe, and it is assumed that visitors would not do anything to intentionally bother the animals.

• Like 1