First Viking Ocean Cruise

VICKIB114

Hi Everyone

I have just booked our first Viking Oceans cruise for February 2026. We will be doing Greece Odyssey on the New Vesta Viking. I will be great being on a new ship. I have done other cruise lines but am really looking forward to this one. I will be celebrating my 50th birthday and my Husband and I will be traveling from Australia. We will be doing the 4-night pre-cruise extension in Athens, and this will be the last 2 weeks for our 4 weeks in Europe. I look forward to reading all the advice on the forum.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, VICKIB114 said:

Hi Everyone

I have just booked our first Viking Oceans cruise for February 2026. We will be doing Greece Odyssey on the New Vesta Viking. I will be great being on a new ship. I have done other cruise lines but am really looking forward to this one. I will be celebrating my 50th birthday and my Husband and I will be traveling from Australia. We will be doing the 4-night pre-cruise extension in Athens, and this will be the last 2 weeks for our 4 weeks in Europe. I look forward to reading all the advice on the forum.

We took the 4 day Greece extension last year. Here is the writeup: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2906353-almost-live-viking-sky-journey-to-antiquities-jan-2023/?do=findComment&comment=64628536

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Thanks for that OneSixtyToOne our 4 day Greek Extension is a bit different to yours. We are at a different hotel as well one of our tours is different as well. But I did love your review. Thank you

6 hours ago, VICKIB114 said:

Thanks for that OneSixtyToOne our 4 day Greek Extension is a bit different to yours. We are at a different hotel as well one of our tours is different as well. But I did love your review. Thank you

Hotels are always subject to change so this doesn’t surprise me. We have had hotel changes on about half of our extensions.

I’m curious as to the tour change you mentioned. The website still lists the same tours we took. The tours are run by an independent operator contracted by Viking and they may alter the days of the tours (as in our case) but the content was unchanged.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, travelingJimmy said:

I too just booked our first Viking cruise for November of this year.   Any of tips, tricks, must do's or should avoid on the ship from the Viking loyalists would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest you read this thread. It’s long but informative. It started pre-COVID so some might not apply  but the latter part is very valid.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I suggest you read this thread. It’s long but informative. It started pre-COVID so some might not apply  but the latter part is very valid.

Perfect!   Thank you

2 hours ago, travelingJimmy said:

I too just booked our first Viking cruise for November of this year.   Any of tips, tricks, must do's or should avoid on the ship from the Viking loyalists would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my review after returning from our first one. This is just general things about the cruise & ship...

I also  did a post about making excursion reservations for those of us doing it the first time, it could help you as well.

2 hours ago, travelingJimmy said:

Perfect!   Thank you

Don't waste time starting from the  beginning.  Most of the pre-COVID discussion is out if date and even many of the post-COVID protocols have disappeared.

I suggest going back to January, 2022 and reading to the end.  If after that you are still curious, go back to Post#1 and read until you have had enough (just remember that at this point the information is pretty much outdated and you are reading for the nostalgia factor). 

Then start working you way through this forum reading the topics from the last 18 months that appeal.  Anything older than 18 months or so can be outdated (and therefore misleading).  Stick with recent information.  

Also, don't forget to join the roll call for your saildate and if you don't participate, at least follow it -- because you never know where you will learn something helpful or important. (Click FOLLOW and chose Daily Digest as your notification method).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I am certain that you will enjoy your Viking cruise.  Bet you only wish it was sooner!

I sure do wish it was departure date was closer

1 hour ago, VICKIB114 said:

I sure do wish it was departure date was closer

Well, you can always book another cruise and they will move your payment date out to 6 months prior for your 2026 cruise.

• Like 1