Sydney Swans Princess Cruise.

Posted (edited)

Just saw a news article that the Princess cruise I have booked for January is going to now going to be hosting a Sydney Swan fan events. Hopefully I'll be able to avoid this as much as possible 😅.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1555381/princess-cruises-sydney-swans-unveil-unique-fan-experience

Edited by CountessCookie

The ship should be half full of regular cruisers already, so you won't be alone. The member events will be easily avoided, but there is a risk of footy paraphernalia in the dining room each night.

We have done a dedicated P&O Melbourne State of Origin P&O cruise, and much of it was like any other P&O cruise, with the addition of footy jumpers in the dining room. If we chose to, we didn't have to attend any of the events or even go to the match.

Our last P&O cruise wasn't actually dedicated to footy, but the State of Origin was on the big screen on the Lido Deck. We just avoided the area whilst it was on. Footy jumpers were in evidence in the dining room, but that was pax wearing them!😂 Didn't really impact us at all.

4 hours ago, CountessCookie said:

Just saw a news article that the Princess cruise I have booked for January is going to now going to be hosting a Sydney Swan fan events. Hopefully I'll be able to avoid this as much as possible 😅.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1555381/princess-cruises-sydney-swans-unveil-unique-fan-experience

One thing it will do is take some of the public spaces at various times for Swan centric events. Otherwise, it will just be a lot of the pax in Swans gear.

• Like 1

We had 4 day P&O cruise booked for my 50th birthday a few years ago, Moreton island return, many of my friends had booked to come along, many more planned to.

Then P&O announced the sponsorship deal with South's NRL team, and the cruise would be a South's members cruise, with some Legends attending. Apart from lots of South's crap everywhere and a bit more of à NRL fan demographic, it was similar to any other cruise. The occasional bar was cordoned off for an event.

The fares for all cabin categories almost doubled, some of my friends planning on booking decided not to. Still had a big crowd but not as big.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The fares for all cabin categories almost doubled, some of my friends planning on booking decided not to. Still had a big crowd but not as big.

I called Princess and it is a group booking so pricing is different when I looked the Princess website the prices have not changed for those not involved with the Swans group.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

I called Princess and it is a group booking so pricing is different when I looked the Princess website the prices have not changed for those not involved with the Swans group.

As yet they may not have changed but due to demand, as categories become scarcer, the prices will rise, just like on any popular cruise.

5 hours ago, CountessCookie said:

We are on this cruise too. Luckily DH supports Swans, but me I am not sure🤔

• Like 2

Glad to know it should mostly be avoidable and shouldn't impact normal activities too much. It could encourage a slightly younger demographic and I'm younger than the average cruiser, which could benefit me. I'm sure their will be plenty of partners who aren't big into footy and are coming along just for the cruise. 😅

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CountessCookie said:

Glad to know it should mostly be avoidable and shouldn't impact normal activities too much. It could encourage a slightly younger demographic and I'm younger than the average cruiser, which could benefit me. I'm sure their will be plenty of partners who aren't big into footy and are coming along just for the cruise. 😅

We booked this cruise (prior to this announcement) as part of a B2B. Might be a bit livelier than normal on a quick TAS cruise. We got a great price too, will be interesting to see current pricing.

5 minutes ago, resordanis said:

We are on this cruise too. Luckily DH supports Swans, but me I am not sure🤔

At least it is his team, wouldn't be got to find out a rival team was having their event on your cruise.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, resordanis said:

We booked this cruise (prior to this announcement) as part of a B2B. Might be a bit livelier than normal on a quick TAS cruise. We got a great price too, will be interesting to see current pricing.

I feel I got a pretty good price for my booking too. This cruise is my replacement for a cancelled Vorgin Voyages cruise. Got balcony for a similar price as the solo inside cabin on VV. A little lively wouldn't be too bad for me.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Lots of blue medallions, and it should take them a few days to find the best haunts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

We had 4 day P&O cruise booked for my 50th birthday a few years ago, Moreton island return, many of my friends had booked to come along, many more planned to.

Then P&O announced the sponsorship deal with South's NRL team, and the cruise would be a South's members cruise, with some Legends attending. Apart from lots of South's crap everywhere and a bit more of à NRL fan demographic, it was similar to any other cruise. The occasional bar was cordoned off for an event.

50th deserved 50 days.

One of my workmates did one of those cruises, his one & only. He is a mad Souths fan, but found out he is not a fan of sea sickness. 😂 I am not sure how regular, but P&O is still a Souths sponsor, and have plans for more member cruises. It would be a good time for a Ronny Coote 😉

I like the Princess idea, as it reads that at least some of the current squad will be aboard.

I was still working, as was many of our friends and family that came along. A long weekend cruise fitted well.

Definitely not a South's fan, in fact they are actually one of the NRL clubs I like to see lose, along with Manly, Brisbane and Melbourne.

• Like 1

Just now, MicCanberra said:

I didn't start following rugby league until in the 80s.

He is one of the best to ever play rugby league. Played for Australia, NSW, and competed in 9 grand finals for 6 wins over an 11 year period. He was pretty good, and I was lucky to see him play for Australia at the SCG when I was a rather young fan.

Like many famous and infamous VFL/AFL players, there was a tendency to use their names as rhyming slang, like feeling a bit Kevin Sheedy after a big night out.

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I was still working, as was many of our friends and family that came along. A long weekend cruise fitted well.

Definitely not a South's fan, in fact they are actually one of the NRL clubs I like to see lose, along with Manly, Brisbane and Melbourne.

Not Wicky’s Waiders, though 

• Haha 2