I’m considering the queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton then a quick flight to Amsterdam and uniworld Amsterdam to Bucharest. 
I would have to fly back to NY

Is this too much at once?

Hard to say if it's "too much" - this shows as your third post here at CC forums, but you may have done previous multi leg vacation trips and enjoyed them.

Based on my crossings on QM2, I would try to arrange things so the trip finished with the westbound crossing to NYC [Brooklyn]. That way you arrive home without jet lag - and have five 25 hour days out of the seven for a typical crossing.

2 hours ago, Shipperz said:

I’m considering the queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton then a quick flight to Amsterdam and uniworld Amsterdam to Bucharest. 
I would have to fly back to NY

Is this too much at once?

No - but the way I usually do things like that is to fly over, travel in Europe and come back on the QM2 - better to get the flight over first, and not have it to look forward to - also, I find it easier to adjust to time changes on eastbound flights.

• Like 1

I find leaving US by air is awful. The security people in Europe have a much better approach. The minute I start the security process in US it’s non stop yelling. Put your cellphone here,no liquids there. I don’t mind the instructions but the yelling and attitude is just so unpleasant. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I kind of agree with others, and I would opt to fly to Europe and reposition back to North America.

Are "attaching" both the repositioning cruise and the river cruise too much?  NOT AT ALL in my mind.  If I had the vacation time, I would definitely do it.  

I am Canadian, and our airports are fairly mild at security.  I have experienced the "yelling" at US airports, but also have experienced the same at busy airports overseas.  Heathrow is one for sure when you are transiting that is a royal pain just because liquids have to be in their bag and you can only have one bag.  I brought home with me bags so when flying through Heathrow in the future I will pack this bag in advance.

Other European airports are not yelling free either....

Too much depends on you!  We have done much more ambitious trips (including long cruises plus river cruises plus independent land trips) and enjoy the longer (measured in weeks or months) varied trips.   And by the way, one very interesting trip involved a TA to Europe, a driving trip to a 14 day River Cruise (Amsterdam to Budapest) and finally a repositioning cruise back to the USA :).  DW and I have really enjoyed our trips where we can cruise both ways across the Atlantic.  In fact, one idea (on our bucket list) is transpacific cruise (we have done a few), independent land time in NZ and/or Australia, and another Transpacific home.

Last year, while cruising in Asia on a longer HAL cruise, we met small crowd of similarly minded cruisers/travelers.  Most evenings we would gather at a bar to talk about our experiences and future ideas.  Two of those couples had actually sold their home and spent their lives just traveling (cruise and land) all over the world.  I mention this, because there is almost no limit to what can be planned once you open your mind (and your wallets).

Hank

• Like 2