Crab on Alaska cruise

On 5/21/2024 at 3:17 AM, cruisequeen4ever said:

Is Princess serving crab on Alaska cruises this year? If so, is it in the dining room or in Crown Grill? 

Only at Crab Shack (in Crown Grill).

We sailed AK on the Discovery 2 years ago & the MDR DID have a different fresh salmon each night. Not just different preparations, but different kinds--sockeye, pink, soho, etc. It was amazing!

I recommend crab at Tracey's crab shack in Juneau or Crab House in Hoonah/Icy Strait Point.

On 5/21/2024 at 8:21 PM, cruisequeen4ever said:

I know about the Crab Shack; I meant free crab, like pre-Covid. 

No! If you want crab legs, you'll have to get them in town... be prepared to pay $85 a leg for king crab

On 5/23/2024 at 7:35 AM, EDDY0827 said:

I think that most of the King crab has been replaced by Dungeness crab.

Yes....alot of work no meat! All it does is make me mad!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

Yes....alot of work no meat! All it does is make me mad!

Sorry but I maintain that fresh, local Dungeness crab is far superior to the frozen king crab caught several months earlier.  Most of the king crab currently offered for sale to tourists in Alaska is not even from Alaska.  Previously it has come from Russia, but that source has been banned, so it will likely be from South America. If you’re thrilled by the idea of coming to Alaska and paying $100 for a leg or two of frozen, foreign crab, go right ahead.  It leaves more of that delicious Dungeness for the locals at much cheaper prices.

• Like 2

As with all crustaceans (shrimp, crab, lobster) the colder the water the better and fuller the flavour. Maine lobster over rock lobster every time. Icelandic shrimp over buffet style farmed 'rings' any day. And the higher the price, of course.

On 5/30/2024 at 1:47 PM, wolfie11 said:

Sorry but I maintain that fresh, local Dungeness crab is far superior to the frozen king crab caught several months earlier.  Most of the king crab currently offered for sale to tourists in Alaska is not even from Alaska.  Previously it has come from Russia, but that source has been banned, so it will likely be from South America. If you’re thrilled by the idea of coming to Alaska and paying $100 for a leg or two of frozen, foreign crab, go right ahead.  It leaves more of that delicious Dungeness for the locals at much cheaper prices.

I will forgo that crab and do lobster, scallops, shrimp, prawns......too many less aggravating shell fish!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 3:47 PM, wolfie11 said:

I AGREE.

Had King Crab at Tracey's for $85 for 2-4 legs (clearly it's weight). It was good. (bizarre in late Sept tho--they only had a handful of shell crackers for ALL customers to share. Sadly I think people toss them & they had few at the end of the season. But they guarded them with their life! They did NOT offer them...had to ask. Not sure how they thought we would open those tough shells...)

Then had dungeness at Crab House in Hoonah (Icy Strait Point)--OMG SO much sweeter & flavorful!!

Edited by KKB

On 5/21/2024 at 11:18 PM, EDVM96 said:

There has never been free king or snow crab on any Princess ship. At least not in the past 15 years. What free crab are you talking about?

Back when we started cruising on Princess in 2004 and few years after they used to have King Crab split open in the buffet one day. It was awesome. My husband and I was just talking about how we missed those days. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2024 at 2:50 PM, coops said:

Back when we started cruising on Princess in 2004 and few years after they used to have King Crab split open in the buffet one day. It was awesome. My husband and I was just talking about how we missed those days. 

I had remembered those days but also noted it may not last long!

I remember the gluttony of some cultures who walked away with a mountain of crablegs legs on their plate! It was so tacky!

• Like 2