Ketogenic eating on a cruise ship

Leaving on Radiance tomorrow Alaska southbound and my doctor just put me on keto. Is this even possible on a cruise ship? I’m pretty disciplined. It’s not for weight loss, but I  don’t think I can get fresh avocado and evoo. I would prefer to eat healthy fats if possible 

7 minutes ago, velocepede said:

Leaving on Radiance tomorrow Alaska southbound and my doctor just put me on keto. Is this even possible on a cruise ship? I’m pretty disciplined. It’s not for weight loss, but I  don’t think I can get fresh avocado and evoo. I would prefer to eat healthy fats if possible 

It's pretty easy to eat keto on a cruise, just stick to meat and veggies. Hopefully you've been on it for a bit now and are not just starting it the day before you leave. Can be pretty miserable for a few days as you get used to it. 

• Like 3

I usually follow a keto-esque diet focusing on healthy fats, and while I would stop short of saying it's impossible on a cruise ship, it definitely wouldn't be easy. I get most of my fats from guacamole, evoo and nuts, and while guacamole is easy if your ship has El Loco Fresh, that's about the only place I see avocado in any form. No nuts, and while you might see oil and vinegar in the Windjammer, I doubt it's evoo. 

You might have to settle for a more standard low-carb diet for that week if you don't want to overload on meat and cheese. 🫤 Since I only cruise twice a year, I don't get too stressed over my diet while onboard, but I will say my body is happy when I get back to my usual! 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@velocepede I would try asking someone in the windjammer for avocado as I have seen them serve avocado toast in the morning and tacos in the afternoon with guacamole as a side. The worst they can tell you is no they don’t have it is cruise.  As for evoo again ask windjammer/dining staff if you want to wait until on board.  

You could also try emailing RCCL about your dietary needs before you cruise.  I cannot remember who you would email, but someone on CC will probably post it, otherwise call RCCL and ask who to email.

Edited by Cherful59
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, velocepede said:

I have always able to get olive oil when I ask for it, for salads and even for use on baked potatoes.

Your wait staff will figure it out quickly when you tell them no bread and a side of veggies instead of starch. Always broccoli available and almost always asparagus. Substitute all you want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1