travel insurance

frankhi

I seems like I'm must be missing something. A full year Allianz travel coverage, even their executive plan, costs less than their coverage for 1 cruise. 

• Like 2

I wonder if the policy includes cruising. I know of some here that don't for the full year - only land based. We don't travel as much as we used to but in the past always had the full year policy; now we tend to just buy individual policies which include cruise cover when required.

Our annual policy requires that you specifically include cruise insurance. That is common with most Australian insurers.

If you haven’t already, check out the Chase Sapphire Reserve card.  In addition, to dozens of perks worth hundreds of $ a year, each card includes $20,000 of trip insurance which if you travel a few times a year, easily pays for itself. Since this is SS and many trips run over that, I have a card for my wife as well and that doubles our insurance to $40,000. 

• Like 2

I have and (always)used my Sapphire reserve card....thanks.... It's just the annual price quote is so cheap I'll probably just add.($280/yr for premier and $510/yr for executive). I have 4 cruises and a trip to Europe in the next 12 months and similar for year after.

15 hours ago, frankhi said:

I seems like I'm must be missing something. A full year Allianz travel coverage, even their executive plan, costs less than their coverage for 1 cruise. 

If you're talking the Allianz AllTrips Executive plan, just note that the base level of 'Trip Cancellation' insurance is only $5,000.  If you were to bump that to even $10,000 (their max) to cover just part of a cruise (and pre-existing conditions still cap out at $5,000), the cost can jump up ~58%.

Work with their calculator here by typing start date/age/location:  https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/find-a-plan/alltrips-executive.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankhi said:

Thanks, but I just bot the exec plan...I'm not really worried about the cancellation insurance, it's the other coverages I like.

Ah, understand now.  So about $500 per year per person?

Often, when researching the cost of travel insurance, people here in the cruise boards are particularly interested in cancellation insurance since that's such a huge part of the potential cost of any mishaps.

Yeah, I definitely get that. A couple going D2D biz class, for example, might be $30K. The same cruise for me, as a solo P2P (booking my air, transfers, hotel etc separately) is only putting $10K "at risk" for cruise cancelation.

On 5/25/2024 at 6:54 AM, gcornell said:

If you haven’t already, check out the Chase Sapphire Reserve card.  In addition, to dozens of perks worth hundreds of $ a year, each card includes $20,000 of trip insurance which if you travel a few times a year, easily pays for itself. Since this is SS and many trips run over that, I have a card for my wife as well and that doubles our insurance to $40,000. 

What is the coverage for Medical and Emergency Evacuation? For me, those are much more important than trip cancellation.

22 hours ago, canderson said:

Ah, understand now.  So about $500 per year per person?

Often, when researching the cost of travel insurance, people here in the cruise boards are particularly interested in cancellation insurance since that's such a huge part of the potential cost of any mishaps.

Not a huge part of a serious medical situation. I can eat the $30K cancellation but not the $500K for emergency flights and hospitalization in a foreign port.

• Like 1

We have used Chase Sapphire Reserve trip cancellation twice in the past 3 years. Both for eye emergencies for me, 2 days before sailing. It is a pain to use eclaims.com for this, but both times we finally got our money back, once 16000 usd and once 19800 usd. Be prepared for a run around. Keep all receipts. As for evac insurance, take a look at Squaremouth for annual trip insurance. They compare pricing and products. We have the annual Geotrekker coverage with 1000000 evac coverage for 480 usd per year. This evac policy was approved by SS on our Antarctica cruise in 2022. 

As for the CSR coverage, here is an extended conversation about the nuances, if you like drilling down on forums. 

Chase cards Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay insurance benefits (2020-2023) - Page 63 - FlyerTalk Forums

• Like 2

My experience with Allianz travel insurance has been much more positive (three times).  A straightforward claims process, and quick reimbursement.  One time they even reimbursed me for the cost of a camera that I stupidly left on a tour bus!—I didn't really expect to get anything back, but they gave me the full purchase price.  [Four months later I actually got the camera back, thanks to our Scenic river Cruise Director's diligence – so I returned the money to Allianz.]

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 2ws said:

We have used Chase Sapphire Reserve trip cancellation twice in the past 3 years. Both for eye emergencies for me, 2 days before sailing. It is a pain to use eclaims.com for this, but both times we finally got our money back, once 16000 usd and once 19800 usd.

Always good to hear about first-hand experiences with claims, so thanks for sharing this. 

On 5/25/2024 at 6:54 AM, gcornell said:

Will 2 cards cover $20,000 per person? Or, will you be traveling with 4 persons at $10,000 each for a total of $40,000??

1 minute ago, billc23 said:

Will 2 cards cover $20,000 per person? Or, will you be traveling with 4 persons at $10,000 each for a total of $40,000??

$20,000 per trip for each card which generally covers or almost covers all of the non cancellable, non refundable or non future credit part of the trip.  In 55 years of traveling I have never had to cancel so I look at it this way…. Even if it cost me a few extra bucks because I wasn’t fully covered I am still tens of thousands ahead.  

2 minutes ago, gcornell said:

$20,000 per trip for each card which generally covers or almost covers all of the non cancellable, non refundable or non future credit part of the trip.  In 55 years of traveling I have never had to cancel so I look at it this way…. Even if it cost me a few extra bucks because I wasn’t fully covered I am still tens of thousands ahead.  

I have had the card for a long time and love the benefits. The non refundable part of my trips are usually well over $10,000 per person. So my question is: If my wife get a CSR, in her name, will we be covered for more per person? My last trip exceeded 90 days so the card offered no coverage as far as I could tell. 

I got you.  Hoping to do those trips when kids are gone. Not rushing it though.  I would really hate to give you wrong info especially with that much money involved.  Perhaps check the website as I found calling  just has them read the terms and conditions verbatim over the phone with absolutely no variance from the script. I guess I understand why.  They are great cards and I think they have gotten better especially for frequent travelers such as yourself. I take advantage of pretty much every benefit it offers and easily get a return of 20x the annual fee each year. 

On 5/26/2024 at 10:14 AM, CJANDH said:

Not a huge part of a serious medical situation. I can eat the $30K cancellation but not the $500K for emergency flights and hospitalization in a foreign port.

On 5/26/2024 at 10:14 AM, CJANDH said:

Yes, exactly. My husband was hospitalized in Paris and air ambulance home. Total cost....$17,500 hospital, $15,000 missed cruise, $5,000 missed return flight on Delta and $112,500 for air ambulance. Hospital paid by United Healthcare, everything else paid by our Nationwide annual policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Off subject, but BTW...I just booked a United Polaris seat one way lis-iad for 124K CSR pts transferred to my united account. The flight would have been $2667

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, frankhi said:

Off subject, but BTW...I just booked a United Polaris seat one way lis-iad for 124K CSR pts transferred to my united account. The flight would have been $2667

OT... but... CSR is great! BOS - ORD - HND (Boston to Tokyo) for 200K CSR points. The cost would have been $6990!! 

• Like 1

the Allianz annual plan has limited trip cancellation coverage.  The coverage amount is per year, not per trip.  We pay extra to upgrade our trip cancellation coverage to $10,000 per year.  For more expensive trips, I also put on our Delta Amex card which has coverage also.  Figure if we need to cancel one expensive trip on short notice, I won't be out too much.  If need to cancel trips later in the year, usually will be within refund period because we space our travel out.  Just a risk/benefit analysis and how much you are willing to risk.  Still our annual policy is less than what we have been quoted for covering one trip.

Have had to make two small claims and both paid quickly.  My parents had Allianz annual plan and my dad had a heart attack on board.  His Medicare supplement paid 80% of medical, and Allianz reimbursed the rest (medical, hotel, flight change).  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We use Chase Reserve also for cancellation/interuption but it doesn't have much for medical.  We use GeoBlue (https://go.geobluetravelinsurance.com) for Medical.  They have a 1 year (multi-trip) Trekker policy ($1,000,000 in coverage with a $100 deductible) that was less than $400 for my wife and I.  

I have no affiliation with GeoBlue btw.

Edited by Winemaker_1
  • Like 1