Last minute deals P&O

22 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Whilst I am under no illusion that launch prices are no longer the cheapest that you will ever get a cruise for, I’m surprised that the cruise is cheaper 8 months out, which is usually an expensive time to book. I’d expect it to be a lot higher than launch prices now, with big price drops kicking in after balance due date, although I guess that longer cruises are more challenging to fill with last minute bookings. 

The price per night still seems quite steep for Iona though. I wonder if the fact that there are only 7 Caribbean ports has resulted in less early take ups than they might have expected? 

There currently aren't many cabins left on this cruise.  A handful of outsides on deck 4, 2 on deck 5, only midship insides, a couple of deck 11 front facing deluxe balconies and clusters of midships balconies.  It's sold very well.  I'm guessing they expect it to sell out so are trying to move the remaining balconies in particular.

If you look at a lot of the cruises until March there are balconies left but the insides and outsides are sold out.  I think it's becoming likely the "new" cruisers aren't prepared to pay high balcony prices, the changing demographic (just for you Zap!) seems to be not prepared to think the balcony is worth it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Not necessarily a deal, just a comparison. We booked G501 Caribbean 35 nighter on Iona on board at launch and paid £4526pp with £250pp for a GC grade select balcony. This is now £4199pp with extra, but unspecified OBC.

I just took a look at inside select fare for this and it starts at £3099 which is £400 pp more than launch price plus less OBC, there are not many insides left and I would not now pay select as the OBC is only £330 and the difference between select and saver id £950.

I have noted that this cruise is now more expensive (£180 pp) than the Ventura equivalent that goes the week before, every time I have looked Ventura was the most expensive. So difficult to do a fair comparison.

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

There currently aren't many cabins left on this cruise.  A handful of outsides on deck 4, 2 on deck 5, only midship insides, a couple of deck 11 front facing deluxe balconies and clusters of midships balconies.  It's sold very well.  I'm guessing they expect it to sell out so are trying to move the remaining balconies in particular.

If you look at a lot of the cruises until March there are balconies left but the insides and outsides are sold out.  I think it's becoming likely the "new" cruisers aren't prepared to pay high balcony prices, the changing demographic (just for you Zap!) seems to be not prepared to think the balcony is worth it.

Those demographical folk don't understand. Us elderly folk don't do cheap. At least that's what DW tells me.🤣

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I’m always a bit sceptical about cabin availability. I can’t help but feel that sometimes cabins are released in batches to make it look as though there is limited availability, in order to encourage bookings. Miraculously, once those cabins are sold another load appear. And so it goes on. It’s a classic marketing tactic. If this cruise has sold that well I’d expect prices be something daft like double the launch prices, as we know can happen with very popular cruise this far out from a cruise. 

I think you make a good point about the new to cruising market. Many of us started our cruising in inside (or, in our case, outside) cabins and as the years went on traded up to a balcony and then never moved back. With P&O targeting the ‘new to cruising market’ with their newest ships, inside cabins are likely to be in high demand. That being said, with cruises of 35 nights and more it’s usually just those of us fortunate enough to be retired who can afford the time (and indeed the cost) of these longer cruises!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’m always a bit sceptical about cabin availability. I can’t help but feel that sometimes cabins are released in batches to make it look as though there is limited availability, in order to encourage bookings. Miraculously, once those cabins are sold another load appear. And so it goes on. It’s a classic marketing tactic. If this cruise has sold that well I’d expect prices be something daft like double the launch prices, as we know can happen with very popular cruise this far out from a cruise. 

I think you make a good point about the new to cruising market. Many of us started our cruising in inside (or, in our case, outside) cabins and as the years went on traded up to a balcony and then never moved back. With P&O targeting the ‘new to cruising market’ with their newest ships, inside cabins are likely to be in high demand. That being said, with cruises of 35 nights and more it’s usually just those of us fortunate enough to be retired who can afford the time (and indeed the cost) of these longer cruises!

ICF is looking at this cruise. Not sure if he booked but held off when the prices rose expecting a drop.  There are very few inside left and unless loads drop out at final payment I do not see this dropping if at all.

Interestingly I booked 35 nights QM2 on release. My balcony cabin (glass not sheltered) was £7200 plus $680 OBC.  That's now well over £10,500 as is the 2026 QV version.  Cunard insides aren't selling like P&Os which indicates the new clients over there may be some of the disgruntled looking for a more refined cruise.

Interesting times indeed. 

Meantime I'm hoping my upgrade comes through for Aurora.  If it does it will be £1200 ess than the quoted price when I booked.  I took select only to choose dining to tie in with the family and if Saver had been a proper option booking now would be £300 less than our outside select.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I just took a look at inside select fare for this and it starts at £3099 which is £400 pp more than launch price plus less OBC, there are not many insides left and I would not now pay select as the OBC is only £330 and the difference between select and saver id £950.

I have noted that this cruise is now more expensive (£180 pp) than the Ventura equivalent that goes the week before, every time I have looked Ventura was the most expensive. So difficult to do a fair comparison.

We are booked on the Ventura January cruise next year.  I have not looked at the price differences, but that Ventura cruise is the US/Caribbean itinerary, going to New Orleans and also a lot of other ports we have not been to previously.  Ventura goes on the standard Caribbean cruise in February 2025, which is similar to others that are widely available on both P&O and other cruise lines as round trips from the UK, so nothing unusual.  

Admittedly probably better weather in the Caribbean itinerary for those who do not care where the ports are, but not everyone will want that.  More comparable to the Iona  itinerary with less ports though IMO.

Edited by tring

30 minutes ago, tring said:

Ventura goes on the standard Caribbean cruise in February 2025, which is similar to others that are widely available on both P&O and other cruise lines as round trips from the UK, so nothing unusual.  

Admittedly probably better weather in the Caribbean itinerary for those who do not care where the ports are, but not everyone will want that.  More comparable to the Iona  itinerary with less ports though IMO.

That Ventura cruise is also now cheaper than Iona, in theory Iona is cheaper to run than Ventura both in scale and fuel consumpion/type. I have not tried a dummy booking on either of the Ventura cruises to see what availability there is. It will be interesting to see how the prices hold up over the next few months.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

That Ventura cruise is also now cheaper than Iona, in theory Iona is cheaper to run than Ventura both in scale and fuel consumpion/type. I have not tried a dummy booking on either of the Ventura cruises to see what availability there is. It will be interesting to see how the prices hold up over the next few months.

I see that Iona is doing another 35 night cruise in January 2026, so will be interesting to see what happens with that also, especially after reviews come out from the cruise next January.  From what Molecrochip has said in the past, that Iona itinerary next year was connected to a refurb and closure of Ocean Terminal, (hence leaving her without a home over here), rather than soley a decision to do a big cruise with her at that time next year. 

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in 14 days on Iona in Nov 24, there's been a big price drop in recent days.  A deck 9 Conservatory for 9 to 23 Nov is now £4098 for 2 with £460 OBC and the OBC on that one is more than the price difference between Saver and Select.  For 23 Nov to 7 Dec, a deck 9 Conservatory is £3738 for 2 Select with £460 OBC.  Both were £5K plus when we looked a few weeks ago, with £550 OBC.

Select balconies for 2 are from £3058 with £300 OBC on the first and from £2298 with £300 on the second, for which the OBC equals the difference between Saver and Select price.

So, for those who benchmark pppn, Conservatory Mini Suite on the 23 Nov cruise is £133.50 pppn and balcony is £82 pppn, without factoring OBC into either.

• Like 1