Luggage thief...Who stole the rum cakes?

jerseyblue

Just returned to the Cape Liberty, NJ pier today from a beautiful week on the Constellation. Drove home and emptied my luggage and found that my tortuga rum cakes and coffee were missing. I usually don't put my purchases in my regular luggage but I did this time and now I'm out. I guess it could have been worse. Always remember not to put your purchases in your check in luggage.

I know this is not a huge loss, but this is another thing terrorism has cost us. We can't lock our suitcases and anyone in the back room can pretty much go through them and take whatever they want and there is not much we can do about it. In your case, for example, someone probably knew that you would not complain about a few cakes and some coffee missing.

I'm not opposed to a beefed up security "out front" and I always do everything they ask of me, gladly, but I wish there was more security "in the back" as well. The same people that took the cakes out of your suitcase could be putting whatever they want into your suitcases as well and you'd never be the wiser until you got home (most of us don't check at the airport).

Too bad "we", the ones paying to travel, have to worry about what we pack because the people we're paying can pretty much take what they like and there's little we can do to prove who did it.

Tom

Just returned to the Cape Liberty, NJ pier today from a beautiful week on the Constellation. Drove home and emptied my luggage and found that my tortuga rum cakes and coffee were missing. I usually don't put my purchases in my regular luggage but I did this time and now I'm out. I guess it could have been worse. Always remember not to put your purchases in your check in luggage.

Is is possible they were removed because of it being a food/plant item?

Dave

Sorry to hear about your cakes...How was the weather from charleston to new jersey on the open sea? Was it warm enough for any outdoor swimming. Heading out on the Connie in 11 days just trying to get a feel what to expect. Thanks

I have just purchased the approved locks. Prior to last cruise (NOT on Celebrity ), I used the orange plastic "can be cut with scissors" locks, and to identify my luggage put on Yellow plastic name tags, and three different coloured plastic straps.

Put the cases outside my door as normal, when I went to pick them up at the port disembarkation point, I found one had the orange lock removed, the yellow plastic name tag had been pried open and one of the straps totally removed and a second one partly cut through.

Given the stacks of luggage piled on flat bed trolleys at the facility, I can only conclude that it was while the luggage was stored overnight on the ship, and that the cutting was done by a member of the crew.

Whoever did it must have been interupted because they did not complete the job and the contents were intact. In fact the case only contained my clothes so their haul would not have been worth the effort.

Next week the cases will have secure need a key to open approved locks and the straps will have locks that can only be opened by Security key or the number code.

What a shame, sorry you lost your purchases. I did have some clothing taken once from the outside pocket of a suitcase, wasn't a big loss. However, I always carry all my purchases off the ship, can't really trust anyone.

I also found that items I purchased in Charleston,SC port were missing as well. As I said, absent minded me put them in the luggage by mistake. The rum cakes are all sealed up and people usually purchase them to bring home. I'm sure that you can bring them through customs.

We put our luggage out around 11:00PM and we saw it was immediately taken away. So it was somewhere between the ship and cape liberty port that it was taken. Most likely not another passenger. It's not a lot of money, but it's just annoying to know that someone went in our luggage and stole stuff. The comments that everyone made above are helpful. Hopefully, people will be reminded to get the approved luggage locks or keep the good purchases with them. I sent an email to Celebrity cruises customer service so they are aware of this. Just for the record, I want them to know my luggage was opened and items were taken.

The seas were rough the day between Charleston and Cape Liberty. Take precautions just in case.

Thanks for all your comments...... Jerseyblue

Just a suggestion - rather than email, write a letter to Celebrity's Corporate Guest Relations Department, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, Fl 33132.

Luggage locks, even when we could lock our baggage was more for mental security as most any key could open a suit case. Luckily, I have never had a problem with theft on a ship, only at airports. A few times I've actually locked my luggage when I put it out at night, then when I claim it, I remove the locks and replace it with the plastic tags for the flight. I also use a luggage strap around each suit case, secured with another plastic tag. If that's removed, I can take appropriate action at the pier. Bet there are a few people with TSA keys on the ship, too.

Sorry about the rum cakes - saw them at the Emporium, and was tempted to pick up a few. However, we plan to cruise to Bermuda in a few months, so I'll wait to buy them at the Bermuda Rum Cake Factory - these are the best - and you can buy them online for shipment to the US.

Darcy

Back when I was a smoker... (goin on 3 years now... yay!)...

I would invariably get at least 2 or 3 packs of cigarettes stolen from my luggage on every trip I took... and based on the current price of cigarrettes... that was a significant loss!!!

(good thing I don't smoke anymore... ;))

In past experience, any time our bags have been opened a customs inspection notice was placed inside the bag. At least, I am assuming that is the only time they are opened. I did once have a small checked bag with three missing items-a new tee shirt, my bathing suit and a Hard Rock Cafe baseball cap. They were all in a side pocket. Hope they enjoyed them.

Robb

After reading the posts, i am going out tomorrow to buy approved locks. I have only had my bag opened and checked once (that i know of) at the Bejing airport and they left an inspection paper inside.

I never thought of, if they can take things out, just think would they could put in.

It is sad that these things are happening. The cruise lines are aware of this potential theft problem and warn us in writing when giving embarkation and disembarkation info. LETS ALL TRY AND REMEMBER NOT TO PACK ITEMS THAT MAY BE TEMPTING TO OTHERS.

If they do that, don't they leave an official looking note in there saying that your bags were opened?

Ususally if they suspect you are smuggling food items into the country, you are required to go through a separate USDA screening during the customs process. This happened to me about 10 years ago upon my return from China & South Korea. One of the agents believed I was bringing in beef jerky and so my entire suitcase was emptied in customs and every item searched through.

It turned out to be my bar of soap, that had been well used and developed cracks. So I was thrilled to have my dirty laundry scattered around OHare Customs for something so silly. :D

I know times have changed since then, but IMHO, you wouldn't have an unapproved food item removed without a stern talking to by Customs/USDA and a possible fine.

Sorry to hear about your loss of such yummy tasting momentos.

If they do that, don't they leave an official looking note in there saying that your bags were opened?

There was no official note in the luggage from customs or the cruise line. The rum cakes are those tortuga ones. You can buy them on the ship, in the ports or online. I'm sure you can bring these in.

As I write this, I'm sure the thief is eating and enjoying them right now.

Or do you think they sold them on ebay?

We always lock our luggage with zip ties before we put them out in the hallways - that way as soon as we collect our luggage, we can tell if they've been opened. Sorry about your rum cakes and coffee ... I'm sure you made somebody's day brighter!:p

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Archived