Solo in the Grills?

Clewgarnet

I've just put in a bid for a Grills upgrade, but I'm travelling solo and starting to have second thoughts about dinner. Is it acceptable/welcome to make conversation with people around you, or will I be sat like a Billy No-Mates with just my social anxiety for company? (My bid is so low that I very much doubt this will be an issue, but I don't want to end up shelling out that much money just to eat in my room every night!)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

I've just put in a bid for a Grills upgrade, but I'm travelling solo and starting to have second thoughts about dinner. Is it acceptable/welcome to make conversation with people around you, or will I be sat like a Billy No-Mates with just my social anxiety for company? (My bid is so low that I very much doubt this will be an issue, but I don't want to end up shelling out that much money just to eat in my room every night!)

You can get them to put you on a table for six or eight, but, if not, most people chatter a lot to those at adjacent tables. So don’t worry about that.

• Like 2

It's rarely a problem, however you do it. If your bid is successful, the dining staff will be guided by your table preference and once on board you can look at that table and if necessary change it from a 2 seater to say an 8 seater. One thing to bear in mind is that the people around you may arrive earlier or later than your preference, so that aspect isn't under your control.

If you are on a 6 or 8 seater table then usually you would engage naturally with the other people on the table. This is usually quite an easy process and very soon - during the first meal - you will be chatting away. I don't think anyone needs to worry about that, it just happens on my experience (this is also true of Britannia and Club).

For 2 seaters then depending on the ship then there is a greater risk that the neighbour table won't be occupied while you are there, and if it is then there is also a risk that the people on that table aren't particularly chatty - their English may not be very strong for example. But mostly you can say "good evening, have you had a good time today?" or something about the weather, and then gauge the response. If they want to chat it will become obvious in whether you get a one word or 100 word reply.

Though this is a bit of a last resort, you can ask for a table change mid sailing, there usually a way around problems. But mostly you will be fine.

• Like 1

I've always been on a 6- or 8-seater in Britannia in the past, so more than happy to make conversation with strangers, but I'd got the impression that smaller tables were the norm in Club/Grills.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

I've always been on a 6- or 8-seater in Britannia in the past, so more than happy to make conversation with strangers, but I'd got the impression that smaller tables were the norm in Club/Grills.

They are very common, but there are still usually a couple of larger tables.

• Like 1

You won't feel like Nigel No Friends whether you are on a 2 top or an 8 top in QG (or presumably PG) based on my recent experience. My husband has various health issues and on some occasions I would be dining alone (by choice) at our assigned table. Not only did our table neighbours invite me to join them but the Maitre D offered to accomodate me at a larger table for the evening that had extra space if that was my preference. Either way it is up to you how social you want to be but you will not be looked down on if you prefer your own company at meal times. 

• Like 4

Yes there are some larger tables in PG and QG - not many but in the case of QV and QE they are often in a plum spot as far as the windows are concerned (some middle of the restaurants but by the window). QM2 is more middle-middle, but on all three the tables can and are moved between sailings. The large table is often like a default for solo passengers. So it's there if you want it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Yes there are some larger tables in PG and QG - not many but in the case of QV and QE they are often in a plum spot as far as the windows are concerned (some middle of the restaurants but by the window). QM2 is more middle-middle, but on all three the tables can and are moved between sailings. The large table is often like a default for solo passengers. So it's there if you want it.

On our last two QV cruises last year, the larger tables in QG  were not by the window apart from two large tables set up for a large family celebratory holiday [teens who were a credit to their parents] in July. We have found this not unusual post Covid as the plum spots now seem to be  given over to two tops.

The position of all tables varies according to passenger requirements.

I was just solo in a PG on QM2 and was placed at a table for 6.  I was never alone except for maybe 10 minutes before others joined me.  The only thing to remember is not everyone will come at the same time.

• Like 2

I alway travel solo in Grills and ask to be placed at the largest table.  I have found that the people you meet there are often the most memorable part of the voyage.  They are the one constant in my daily routine and our conversations are an excellent way to share and compare experiences.   

Have a great trip!

• Like 3

My last QV : I  ( solo )  got a not so pleasant table  and close to me a table with 3 Germans, refusing to talk ( they had problems with English : not understanding the menu in full ) , despite i do speak  German fluently.