Trunk Bay...again

Hello can anyone please advise how much walking i would have to do to get from Crown Bay Terminal to get to Trunk Bay,

We plan t take a taxi to RedHook and then ride the ferry to Cruz bay and then taxi over to Trunk Bay. I am a new widow traveling with my 19 year old daughter and I have a heart condition so no fast walking for me.  I am just wondering how much walking would need to be done once inside trunk bay to get to a lounger and just relax? I can seem to find the answer anywhere.  I realize I would have to allow more time to make it to St John.  ur ship docks at 12:-8:00 Do we have enough time to o and spend a couple of hours at the beach and then gt back for someshopping

Thank you

Have you looked to see if there is a ship excursion to get over to St. John? Once you are over, there are many open air taxis to take you back and forth to Trunk Bay. We did the whole thing on our own once, and it was kind of a hassle. 

It would be much easier if the ship can get you over and back, without being dependent on ferry schedules. 

There is not much walking one you are actually at Trunk Bay. It is a pretty narrow beach. 

• Like 2

My wife and I did this a couple weeks ago. The walking is not bad and can be done at your own pace. When you get to Trunk you will pay $5.00 to get in, I believe they didn't take cash for that. You walk in a short distance and you can rent a chair more like a lawn chair there were no loungers on the beach. You have to carry your chair after you leave a  drivers license or credit card as deposit plus the charge. There are no umbrellas and not a lot of shade. I don't want to discourage you because this a wonderful beach, I just want you to be aware it's not like they have loungers set up waiting for folks to show up. They also close at four so you have to take the chair back to get your card back from them. The over all trip including 4 taxi rides and round trip ferry went very smooth for us. YMMV

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ship excursions take care of the transport for you and sometimes the ferry even leaves from the downtown Charlotte Amalie rather than Red Hook.  Both Magens Bay and Sapphire Beach may be a better fit for you.

You would need to check the ferry schedule, but the Water Island ferry leave from a bar just to the right of the Crown Bay port (last ferry back is 6:15, $15 roundtrip cash only).  Ten minutes to the island, walk up and over a small hill and you are on Honeymoon Beach.  Very sheltered bay, lots of trees, and quiet except on weekends.  We have been there where the only other people were a couple of guys stocking the bar.

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 2

We only did this as a ship.excursion years ago..ferry was right there at dock for us.  I don't remember any chairs at the beach...we all just piled our stuff in the same area and went snorkeling.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Autiemom said:

Hello can anyone please advise how much walking i would have to do to get from Crown Bay Terminal to get to Trunk Bay,

We plan t take a taxi to RedHook and then ride the ferry to Cruz bay and then taxi over to Trunk Bay. I am a new widow traveling with my 19 year old daughter and I have a heart condition so no fast walking for me.  I am just wondering how much walking would need to be done once inside trunk bay to get to a lounger and just relax? I can seem to find the answer anywhere.  I realize I would have to allow more time to make it to St John.  ur ship docks at 12:-8:00 Do we have enough time to o and spend a couple of hours at the beach and then gt back for someshopping

Thank you

Honestly if all you want is a couple hours at the beach, just go to Magens then shopping.  Or, look for a tour that does this.  No need for ship excursion.