Preferred Pronouns & Name for trans cruiser?

We're taking the family on a spring break cruise on Discovery Princess. One of my kids (age 22) is transgender but has not yet gotten around to processing a legal name change. His college and his employer haven't had a problem with utilizing the legal name when needed (e.g., bank and tax records) but respecting the preferred name/pronouns otherwise. So we 100% understand that the name on the passport (the birth name) must match the name on the booking. What we're trying to figure out is the onboard experience. I found this passage in an article here on Cruise Critic:

"Princess Cruises has a very cool feature where you can set your preferred name via the Princess Cruises Medallion app, though your legal name remains on screens outside your door and on staff devices. Princess Cruises confirmed that its Medallions -- devices used oboard and ashore in lieu of keycards -- need to match passengers' legal names. 'Regarding the Medallion itself, it is an official identifier that has to match a guest’s passport for security purposes,' the line said in a statement." https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/tips-for-trans-cruisers

Sounds great that the Medallion app lets you set a preferred name. What confuses me is: what good does setting the preferred name in the app do if staff devices still show the legal name? Or do the staff devices show both?

And is there a way to delete the legal name from the door display?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Note: based on no first hand information 

The preferred name would be what you wanted non-security to call you I believe, other cases would be like if you name is Robert but you want people to call you Bob or if you went by your middle name instead of you first name for whatever reason 

So while security may call them by their eventual deadname, the other crew would probably use whatever their preferred name is ☺️

Posted (edited)

No idea about your situation.  But, I would be careful about your child attending the the comedy shows.  Some of the comedians poke fun at this stuff, which your child could potentially take offense to.  There's at least a two comedians where the gist of their joke is how to proclaim a "man overboard" in today's world when you have to be politically correct in terms of gender references.

Edited by SCX22

"And is there a way to delete the legal name from the door display?"

Phone call to guest services, wait five minutes. This part anyway is easy. Have done so many times.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

But, I would be careful about your child attending the the comedy shows.  Some of the comedians poke fun at this stuff, which your child could potentially take offense to.

And not just that child. What a stupid, unfunny joke.

For pronouns, some of my friends who are non-binary/trans have a pin with their pronouns (i.e., she/they) for interacting with people who don't know them and it seems to work well.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, walkingsoon said:

"And is there a way to delete the legal name from the door display?"

Phone call to guest services, wait five minutes. This part anyway is easy. Have done so many times.

If zi remember correctly from my last cruise full names are no longer shown on the door display 

5 hours ago, memoak said:

If zi remember correctly from my last cruise full names are no longer shown on the door display 

Correct, full names aren’t displayed. Display shows first name and first letter of last name, 

19 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

Correct, full names aren’t displayed. Display shows first name and first letter of last name, 

And I believe you can use your preferred name rather than the name on your passport