Asking for a lounger on balcony?

So....I've been considering Explora for some time.  BUT....here's my issue....As it is with most of you, there are two of us. So there's ONE lounger on every balcony until you get to a Serenity Residence.  That is my one must haves is two loungers.  Anyone ever asked for a lounger to be brought to your balcony like what would be on deck? I've done it with Celebrity and it was taken care of. 

3 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

So....I've been considering Explora for some time.  BUT....here's my issue....As it is with most of you, there are two of us. So there's ONE lounger on every balcony until you get to a Serenity Residence.  That is my one must haves is two loungers.  Anyone ever asked for a lounger to be brought to your balcony like what would be on deck? I've done it with Celebrity and it was taken care of. 

I stayed in cabin 7116 (aft deluxe penthouse) and I had 4 chairs, 2 tables and 2 loungers on my balcony 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dolls123 said:

I stayed in cabin 7116 (aft deluxe penthouse) and I had 4 chairs, 2 tables and 2 loungers on my balcony 

Thank you! I actually looked at photos of the one below it 6090, and it wasn't that way.  Perfect! Thanks!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

Thank you! I actually looked at photos of the one below it 6090, and it wasn't that way.  Perfect! Thanks!

If you do a internet search for 7116 and see a pic with hats on the wall that's my room. It does show 1 pic of the balcony furniture. 

• Like 1

In the OT category, which has a balcony of 75 sf, consider a Ocean Grand Terrace Suite which has 115 sf.  Cost more but accomplishes your need. Or go to Penthouse Level which is a significant price hike.  

I fully understand why you want that request.  Smart to think about it now.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

In the OT category, which has a balcony of 75 sf, consider a Ocean Grand Terrace Suite which has 115 sf.  Cost more but accomplishes your need. Or go to Penthouse Level which is a significant price hike.  

I fully understand why you want that request.  Smart to think about it now.  

The GT IS a deeper balcony for sure...deep enough for a lounger....but I can't find a pic with two loungers on it.  Just the one padded longer and a table with two chairs.  

The DP dolls123 stayed in IS about perfect for us...larger cabin(kinda similar to an AF PH on NCL) and has the lounger requirement! 😀

That SR right next to 7116 has everything too but the price is up there! LOL.  The cruise I'm considering is the 8-day Divine Sites and Mayan Temples...nothing we haven't seen before but I like longer than 7 day itineraries and this one would be a good one to get our feet wet with Explora.

• Like 3

On 5/30/2024 at 9:12 PM, dolls123 said:

On 5/31/2024 at 7:44 AM, dolls123 said:

If you do a internet search for 7116 and see a pic with hats on the wall that's my room. It does show 1 pic of the balcony furniture. 

Hey,

I just wanted you to know that your info was so helpful, I just booked it! I let go a NCL AF PH for this!

Any other pointers you'd care to share?

Thank you!

2 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

Hey,

I just wanted you to know that your info was so helpful, I just booked it! I let go a NCL AF PH for this!

Any other pointers you'd care to share?

Thank you!

@chill6x6 Something tells me you made the Right Choice.  I also enjoy NCL, especially the AF PH in the Haven.  I am also sold on this new Luxury brand for many reasons.  So happy we who love cruising have so many choices.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@chill6x6 Something tells me you made the Right Choice.  I also enjoy NCL, especially the AF PH in the Haven.  I am also sold on this new Luxury brand for many reasons.  So happy we who love cruising have so many choices.  

We are going to give it a shot! I think it's going to be a good cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

12 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

We are going to give it a shot! I think it's going to be a good cruise!

We are (were?) frequent Haven cruisers and have no immediate plans to return. We do, however, have three more Explora sailings booked!

As I've stated on these boards, I'm just off Celebrity Apex which was 8 weeks after my second Explora.  The eye twitching is abating but I still have PCSD!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

We are (were?) frequent Haven cruisers and have no immediate plans to return. We do, however, have three more Explora sailings booked!

As I've stated on these boards, I'm just off Celebrity Apex which was 8 weeks after my second Explora.  The eye twitching is abating but I still have PCSD!

We have never really been "loyal" to any particular cruise line.  We alway go with what works best with the time I can get off for vacation and try not to duplicate itineraries.  I don't like standing in lines and I like to have sodas/water/beer/etc in my fridge in our cabin as I would at home without having to "work" the system.  Last requirement is two lounge chairs on our balcony with a table and two table chairs.  Nothing different than I have at home. Sounds simple! Not so on a cruise ship! LOL

So to get all that(not really that much, IMO) we've been mostly in HAL Pinnacle suites, Royal Star Class, and NCL Haven(working the system for drinks and careful to book suites with loungers/tables). Star Class prices have increased to a point that is ridiculous. Pinnacles suites don't really have the service you pay for, and with NCL one has to really purchase "Free at Sea Plus" to include WATER in ones drink package! LOL! Water!  So this lead us to either Virgin Mega Rock Star OR right HERE with Explora.

Deciding between Virgin and Explora took me several days(weeks?/Months?) to decide.  As with any decision you really CAN'T get everything one wants but you can come pretty close. Both are really lacking a little with the bathroom area. Two sinks should be standard with an over $10,000 suite.  So equal here.  Suite storage...It looks as if Explora is definitely a step up here. Virgin looks to have better entertainment.  Explora has so many pool areas, NICE! So it came down to itinerary as it does many times. I didn't want to go to San Juan three times in a row no matter how much I like it! So we took the 8-day Cozumel. Belize City(haven't been here in a while), Cayman Brac(never been), and Key West(love Key West!) itinerary.

Really looking forward to this cruise! Next up is HAL Rotterdam though which should prove to be a nice cruise!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

We have never really been "loyal" to any particular cruise line.  We alway go with what works best with the time I can get off for vacation and try not to duplicate itineraries.  I don't like standing in lines and I like to have sodas/water/beer/etc in my fridge in our cabin as I would at home without having to "work" the system.  Last requirement is two lounge chairs on our balcony with a table and two table chairs.  Nothing different than I have at home. Sounds simple! Not so on a cruise ship! LOL

So to get all that(not really that much, IMO) we've been mostly in HAL Pinnacle suites, Royal Star Class, and NCL Haven(working the system for drinks and careful to book suites with loungers/tables). Star Class prices have increased to a point that is ridiculous. Pinnacles suites don't really have the service you pay for, and with NCL one has to really purchase "Free at Sea Plus" to include WATER in ones drink package! LOL! Water!  So this lead us to either Virgin Mega Rock Star OR right HERE with Explora.

Deciding between Virgin and Explora took me several days(weeks?/Months?) to decide.  As with any decision you really CAN'T get everything one wants but you can come pretty close. Both are really lacking a little with the bathroom area. Two sinks should be standard with an over $10,000 suite.  So equal here.  Suite storage...It looks as if Explora is definitely a step up here. Virgin looks to have better entertainment.  Explora has so many pool areas, NICE! So it came down to itinerary as it does many times. I didn't want to go to San Juan three times in a row no matter how much I like it! So we took the 8-day Cozumel. Belize City(haven't been here in a while), Cayman Brac(never been), and Key West(love Key West!) itinerary.

Really looking forward to this cruise! Next up is HAL Rotterdam though which should prove to be a nice cruise!

@chill6x6 Chuck, well done.  Love the evaluation you did.  All cruise lines are adjusting all aspects of their offering.  The lack of cruising and loans due to covid will do that to a company.  This is happening to all main stream cruise brands. Whether MSC, NCL, Celebrity, and the list goes on.  This is even more true with the "Ship-in-a-Ship" or upper suite areas.  I could write a book why I think this is happening but who am I anyway.  Just opinions.  The fact is with many brands, prices have goon up, and cost saving measure are clearly apparent.  So Pay me more, for less concept.  I don't care that the brands took a hit from covid.  I evaluate what is really provided and compare to other brands even new brands. 

Loyalty to brands.  A very long time ago, when I first did a Haven suite followed by a Retreat suite I LOVED the concept.  They solved many of my issues I was having on Food, drinks, and personalized service.  I loved it so much I became a cheer leader for the concept.  When the prices rose, I realized, I had to look at the pros and cons of other brands especially brands that included items that the Main Stream Offerings were charging for.  This lead to starting to list, what you got vs. what you did not get from each brand.  Took a very long time but worth the study.  

The conclusion was in every case, as you indicated, there was some benefit and some loss of benefit.  It was never a clear path.  The one thing was, as much as I love the Ship-in-a-Ship concept for my way of cruising, it has to make a good business decision for me. When the price reach its current levels, it was clear, Luxury Cruising with all that is provided could actually be the "NEW" value approach to cruising for my wants and needs.  That is why in the past I cruised Crystal Cruises, Oceania Cruises and now Explora Journey.  Would I consider Haven or Retreat or Yacht Club; sure but not at current investments.  

For me, once I clearly knew what was and was not provided in detail, it made it easy to make a future business decision.  The result, I booked a cruise on a brand I never cruised before, Exlplora Journey.  I booked another cruise with a brand I cruised once, Oceania Cruises.  I knew the pros and cons and feel very comfortable I made the right decision.  Actual results with be the true test and I promise I will write in great details my honest and balanced experiences. Bravo to your post again.  Well done.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

What date is your  cruise 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 3:26 PM, Sthrngary said:

Sorry for the hijack on the lounger question. I too would like two on our cruise.Good morning Gary. I have followed you on your NCL haven post from its inception I believe. I avidly read it in preparation for our first Haven cruise. We too loved the NCL haven concept and cruised it whenever we could afford it. Then in May we ended up in the MSC Yacht club on the seashore. We loved it. The service we received far exceeded any previous experience on NCL including being guests in the 3 bedroom owners suite due to kindness of friends. Perhaps it was the staff. The fact that the chef came out into the dining room during every dinner and talked to each guest to find out what they liked or what they could do better. My butler seeing me enjoying a Dos Equis and when I returned to the cabin finding 3 of the beers in the fridge. The inclusion of water and Wi-Fi and the fridge contents in the price….we cancelled our pending NCL cruises with the plan to book again in the MSC yacht club with our travel friends. Then he saw the Explora Journey. We are now booked on the Explora ll in January. I doubt we will go back to NCL. I feel that they have outpriced themselves compared to what is being offered by the competition for much less cost. Wrapping this up I wanted to thank you for your posts in the past. Cruise on!

Edited by Mommapadraig

2 hours ago, Mommapadraig said:

Sorry for the hijack on the lounger question. I too would like two on our cruise.Good morning Gary. I have followed you on your NCL haven post from its inception I believe. I avidly read it in preparation for our first Haven cruise. We too loved the NCL haven concept and cruised it whenever we could afford it. Then in May we ended up in the MSC Yacht club on the seashore. We loved it. The service we received far exceeded any previous experience on NCL including being guests in the 3 bedroom owners suite due to kindness of friends. Perhaps it was the staff. The fact that the chef came out into the dining room during every dinner and talked to each guest to find out what they liked or what they could do better. My butler seeing me enjoying a Dos Equis and when I returned to the cabin finding 3 of the beers in the fridge. The inclusion of water and Wi-Fi and the fridge contents in the price….we cancelled our pending NCL cruises with the plan to book again in the MSC yacht club with our travel friends. Then he saw the Explora Journey. We are now booked on the Explora ll in January. I doubt we will go back to NCL. I feel that they have outpriced themselves compared to what is being offered by the competition for much less cost. Wrapping this up I wanted to thank you for your posts in the past. Cruise on!

@Mommapadraig So nice to hear from you.  Thank you for acknowledging the topics I wrote about in the past specifically on the NCL Haven. I also want to thank you for giving me a reason to break away from my morning which has become really stressful.  I needed a break and writing about cruises will give me that break.  Here goes.

Some time ago, right after covid, I wanted to choose a brand outside of the NCL Haven that was a 100% luxury cruise.  I wanted to take a "Luxury Cruise Test Drive".  I wanted a ship that everyone when they came out of their stateroom, were treated exactly the same.  I choose Crystal Cruises at the time.

One of the things I started to be uncomfortable with in the Haven was the looks, comments from guest that were not in the Haven.  I also felt the treatment when you leave the Haven was significantly downgraded from when you were in the Haven.  So your cruise did not have a balanced of personalized service. Luxury is all about personalized service from soup to nuts more then any other aspect of a cruise. This opened me up to different brands.  It also opened me up to experimenting with a "Luxury" brand. My Crystal experience although not ideal, showed me what I wanted to see and feel.  I got the difference immediately, and I liked it.

Fast forward, before I choose another brand, I research the heck out of it.  Part of that is doing a price, amenity, ship, and perk comparison.  What most folks don't quite get is the add-on costs you have to pay when you use a Mainstream Cruise company even in the Haven.  Things like waters, specialty coffees, in-suite mini-fridge items that have a cost, gratuities, access to the thermal spa, and the list goes on.  If those item are included, it makes the higher cost per day equal to OR less then those other brands VIP sections.  I did that with my upcoming cruise in February 2025 on Explora 1.  My fare on Explora was equal to or less then the Haven and a real problem was the Haven only has King Sized Beds and I needed two twins.  I know Explora is a new brand but they are in my opinion trying very hard to provide to every guest on their ships, a "Haven On Steroids" experience.  So everything we liked about the Haven and Yacht Club and lots more for the same or less daily cost considering everything. 

My Haven Threat you are referring to started in 2019, was then and now one of the most read and commented OP-ED on all of CruiseCritic.com  I rewrote it in 2022 to revise the things that changed.  The revised OP-ED is even more popular then the original.  It would be safe to say that I was an unofficial advocate of the NCL Haven Brand.  Yet, here I am with my next cruise on Explora and the cruise after that on Oceania.  I am still an advocate for the NCL Haven and the MSC Yacht Club, however my wants, needs and quest to enhance my future cruising experience plus quite frankly the companies offering a ship-within-a-ship concept ever increasing cost, make evaluating and selecting other brand especially in the luxury category simply a good business decision. It is clear, we both seem to feel the same way.  

Hope that all makes sense.  Thank you for allowing me to write my thoughts to your post.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2024 at 7:06 PM, chill6x6 said:

Sorry,I’m late to this thread.

I’m OCD about studying deck and cabin plans. And then matching them to cabin videos on YT.

I thought I would share some of my observations .

7116 should meet your needs.As others have stated, It has an oversized veranda both in width and depth. Accommodating the second lounger. And an outstanding view of the aft pool and wake - especially at night. Conversely the veranda is less private as it can be seen from the same aft deck and pool. And noise (if any) from the pool area could travel up to the verandah. Because of the stepped back layout of the decks the verandah does not get as much shade as you would get on the side of the ship. Of course that varies depending on the direction the ship happens to be headed.

And as with any cabin at the rear of a ship you feel the thrusters. And from what folks have reported  on these threads and from personal experiences you do feel them. EJ  uses the thrusters to maintian postion while tendering.

All that said, If it stays available I’m going to try to get an upgrade from PH to this suite on the second leg of our 14 day cruise. I think the view is worth it.

FWIW 6090, one deck down, has the same cabin layout but does not have the oversized deck and the view of the aft pool area is partially cutoff by an extended awning on the deck below. Both 7116 and 6090 are different than the other PH & DPH layouts as it’s wider and the sleeping area is screened from the other parts of the suite by a partition.

Bernie

51 minutes ago, boooomer said:

I’m OCD about studying deck and cabin plans. And then matching them to cabin videos on YT.

7116 should meet your needs.As others have stated, It has an oversized veranda both in width and depth. Accommodating the second lounger. And an outstanding view of the aft pool and wake - especially at night. Conversely the veranda is less private as it can be seen from the same aft deck and pool. And noise (if any) from the pool area could travel up to the verandah. Because of the stepped back layout of the decks the verandah does not get as much shade as you would get on the side of the ship. Of course that varies depending on the direction the ship happens to be headed.

And as with any cabin at the rear of a ship you feel the thrusters. And from what folks have reported  on these threads and from personal experiences you do feel them. EJ  uses the thrusters to maintian postion while tendering.

All that said, If it stays available I’m going to try to get an upgrade from PH to this suite on the second leg of our 14 day cruise. I think the view is worth it.

FWIW 6090, one deck down, has the same cabin layout but does not have the oversized deck and the view of the aft pool area is partially cutoff by an extended awning on the deck below. Both 7116 and 6090 are different than the other PH & DPH layouts as it’s wider and the sleeping area is screened from the other parts of the suite by a partition.

Bernie

Thanks Bernie for the info! I was able to book that exact suite, 7116.  I think it will be perfect.  I had wondered about the sun...but I'd rather have the two loungers and we will deal with the sun and pick mornings or afternoons to be on the balcony as required!

Stern thrusters...I've certainly felt them....we almost always stay in aft suites.  Don't worry, felt and heard the stern thrusters with every glass and coat hanger vibrating.  But for us, the unprecedented view and balcony space is worth it.

4 hours ago, boooomer said:

Bernie

3 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

Thanks Bernie for the info! I was able to book that exact suite, 7116.  I think it will be perfect.  I had wondered about the sun...but I'd rather have the two loungers and we will deal with the sun and pick mornings or afternoons to be on the balcony as required!

Stern thrusters...I've certainly felt them....we almost always stay in aft suites.  Don't worry, felt and heard the stern thrusters with every glass and coat hanger vibrating.  But for us, the unprecedented view and balcony space is worth it.

Gentlemen: (boys?)

I don't want it being said that I never gave you anything ....

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/stateroom-details.php?ship=Explora-I&cabin=7116#google_vignette

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1