YC Tips

brovol

On 6/5/2024 at 10:02 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

"Social Norms and Etiquette

Culture in the USA is also built around different social norms and etiquette (which may be new to you). Let’s take a look at some basic cultural behaviors and best practices to be aware of when interacting with people in America.

You forgot Never talk politics or religion!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Nailed it. ^^^.  When in Rome, don’t try and change it to Australia. 

... need to remember that works both ways though and don't try to export US tipping to other countries...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

OP here,  Who would have thunk my post, asking only whether gratuities were included in the YC price, would turn into such an evolved thread.  LOL. 

The auto-gratuities have been a thing on all cruise lines for many years now.  I like it personally, but we still give a cash tip, on the last evening of the cruise, to those crew who have been personal to us, if they have done at least a decent job.  Room stewards, dining wait staff, sometimes head waiters, or the wine guy. If we get a good bar waiter or bartender who has been solid I will give him/her cash now and then during the cruise.  It does tend to prompt very attentive service thereafter, but I only do it when they have been attentive and accommodating in the first place. 

Ive never been a showy tipper; but especially today, I appreciate hard work, because you see it less and less.

Edited by brovol
  • Like 3

On 6/4/2024 at 11:55 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

"The common feature of all forms of tipping is the voluntary and discretionary nature of the tip: the consumer is free to choose how much to tip, if at all. This definition excludes service charges, imposed gratuities, and imposed tips which have nothing in common with voluntary tipping."

"I (Azar) categorize tipping in six different categories: reward-tipping, pricetipping, tipping-in advance, bribery-tipping, holiday-tipping and gift-tipping, and discuss the economics of each of these categories. "

https://econwpa.ub.uni-muenchen.de/econ-wp/lab/papers/0309/0309002.pdf

Thank you for posting several papers to read. I found them very enlightening and will adjust my tipping behavior going forward. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/7/2024 at 10:32 AM, brovol said:

OP here,  Who would have thunk my post, asking only whether gratuities were included in the YC price, would turn into such an evolved thread.  LOL. 

The auto-gratuities have been a thing on all cruise lines for many years now.  I like it personally, but we still give a cash tip, on the last evening of the cruise, to those crew who have been personal to us, if they have done at least a decent job.  Room stewards, dining wait staff, sometimes head waiters, or the wine guy. If we get a good bar waiter or bartender who has been solid I will give him/her cash now and then during the cruise.  It does tend to prompt very attentive service thereafter, but I only do it when they have been attentive and accommodating in the first place. 

Ive never been a showy tipper; but especially today, I appreciate hard work, because you see it less and less.

You did give us an interesting read! Initially when I clicked on topic I thought it was about “YC tips” and not “YC tips!”

• Haha 3

On 6/4/2024 at 10:55 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

"The common feature of all forms of tipping is the voluntary and discretionary nature of the tip: the consumer is free to choose how much to tip, if at all. This definition excludes service charges, imposed gratuities, and imposed tips which have nothing in common with voluntary tipping."

"I (Azar) categorize tipping in six different categories: reward-tipping, pricetipping, tipping-in advance, bribery-tipping, holiday-tipping and gift-tipping, and discuss the economics of each of these categories. "

https://econwpa.ub.uni-muenchen.de/econ-wp/lab/papers/0309/0309002.pdf

Where does "cow tipping" fall into this definition of tipping?? LOL

28 minutes ago, Gamppy said:

It doesn't. "If you try to tip a cow, it will likely brace itself or lean into you, making it even harder to tip. According to one source, it could take up to six people to overcome the force of a cow standing there, and she'll probably get bored and either kick you or walk away."

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gamppy said:

"Cow tipping is the prank of sneaking up on a sleeping cow and pushing it over onto its side for entertainment. The idea is based on the belief that cows can sleep standing up, but in reality, they can only doze off lightly in that position and need to lie down for REM sleep. Evidence suggests that cow tipping is not possible, or at least very difficult, for a single person to accomplish:

• Physics
  • Farmers"
  • It appears many off us get different "kicks off of Route 66 ".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2