electrical outlets in hotels in Southampton

DRS/NC

I will join the QM2 in autumn 2025.  We plan to stay in Southampton for 2-3 nights prior the crossing.

I haven't booked a hotel yet (too early?).  Is the hotel apt to have universal outlets?   Will we need electrical converters for recharging our phones, kindles, etc?

Thank you!

I'm sure I've  never stayed in a UK hotel that had anything other than our standard 3-pin sockets. So you'll probably need a plug converter, just as I do when I travel to the States or other European countries

If its a modern or recently refurbished hotel you will probably find USB outlets whuch are ideal for charging, just don't forget your cables. Otherwise you will need a converter.

Many hotels have them at reception as so many people leave them behind!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having the plugs that fit shaver might help with the voltage as shaver sockets are often 110V.  Modern electrical equipment can sometime handle different voltages.  This will be in the handbook for each item.

Regards John

3 hours ago, john watson said:

Having the plugs that fit shaver might help with the voltage as shaver sockets are often 110V.  Modern electrical equipment can sometime handle different voltages.  This will be in the handbook for each item.

Regards John

The saver socket really is for just that or perhaps a toothbrush. To stop you electrocuting yourself, it's very low current (200ma) and will blow if abused. 

Do not attempt to use it for anything like a hairdryer, hair straighteners etc!

Virtually all chargers for phones, Kindles etc can run on a wide range of voltages (100-250 is typical), and all you will need is a adapter plug/socket.  If you're stuck, ask at reception, as they usually have lots left by pervious guests!

On 6/15/2024 at 4:06 PM, fruitmachine said:

The saver socket really is for just that

And bear in mind that many modern hotels do  not have shaver sockets. I presume it's to do with the fact that most shavers are now rechargeable, so they've saved a few quid by not installing the socket. It's a pain as I prefer to use mains power to shave and don't want to have to carry the charger when travelling. I do have an adapter plug that's shaver to three pin which is fine in the UK and, of course, I can then use a further adapter to another country's system if needed.