electrical outlets in Southampton hotels

I will join the QM2 in autumn 2025.  We plan to stay in Southampton for 2-3 nights prior the crossing.

I haven't booked a hotel yet (too early?).  Is the hotel apt to have universal outlets?   Will we need electrical converters for recharging our phones, kindles, etc?

Thank you!

Hotels will all have standard UK 3-pin plug sockets for which you’ll need an adapter.

Many modern & refurbished hotels will also have USB ports but it’s a bit of a lottery.

1 hour ago, DRS/NC said:

I will join the QM2 in autumn 2025.  We plan to stay in Southampton for 2-3 nights prior the crossing.

I haven't booked a hotel yet (too early?).  Is the hotel apt to have universal outlets?   Will we need electrical converters for recharging our phones, kindles, etc?

Thank you!

You will need adapters not converters. All modern chargers are dual voltage.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Many modern & refurbished hotels will also have USB port

And, for my pet irritation, many modern hotels do not have a shaver socket in the bathroom. So, I have a shaver to three pin adapter. 

Response also in UK cruisers forum

If its a modern or recently refurbished hotel you will probably find USB outlets whuch are ideal for charging, just don't forget your cables. Otherwise you will need a converter.

Many hotels have them at reception as so many people leave them behind!

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, gnome12 said:

You will need adapters not converters. All modern chargers are dual voltage.

I haven't needed a converter in Europe for years.  Adapters are small, light and cheap.  I always take at least 2 for each country, in case one disappears along the way.  I also throw in a USB plug with two slots.  UK ones are usually fairly robust and work well; of course there's always the challenge of 'turning on the outlet' from a switch somewhere.  Often, in Western Europe, you need to use two adapters, the socket may be 'too deep' or loose.  I've been known to prop the whole shebang up on books so the weight of the adapter(s) doesn't keep loosening the connection.  A live outlet is the first thing I check when arriving at the room and usually plug in my toys immediately.  Be sure to verify that your device is indeed being charged and not just sitting there plugged in.  I never leave anything plugged in while I'm out.  When you're ready to depart, remove the adapter from the outlet first so you don't inadvertently leave it behind.  

Edited by jsn55

5 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

UK ones are usually fairly robust and work well;

When I was in Vietnam (I think) the hotel had universal outlets that are supposed to fit most plug types. I tried to use my North American plugs, but they wouldn't stay in. Ultimately, I added the UK adapter, and that really held everything in tightly, so I was able to charge my phone with no issues.

• Like 1