Queen Anne Naming Ceremony

safarigal

It's been the same every time a new ship gets launched. The Arcadia was a travesty as it didn't have much of an atrium. The Britannia was big and ugly with an annoying layout (it is, but people don't really care anymore). QV was a cruise ship not an ocean liner. 

Don't get me wrong, I love a good discussion about what could have been done better, and even better, what could easily and immediately solve issues that become evident. Some of the flailing of arms when a new ship launches is laughable though. Folks hate change. It's always been thus. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, 57eric said:

It was almost a parody of a naming ceremony.  I burst out laughing several times.  I suppose the mean-spirited might say Queen Anne is a parody of a Cunard ship.

A parody is a' humorous  imitation for comic effect'.

As far as I'm concerned, the modern twist given to the naming ceremony on Monday suited the 2024 Queen Anne.

I'm sure it didn't suit traditionalists but then I doubt the ship will suit either so that's OK. 🙂

26 minutes ago, King Amo said:

Folks hate change

These three words nail the crux of most issues of angst on this Cunard CC site: dress codes, cutbacks, Cunard being too American/too British (posh), new ship changes for QA (i.e. QR and Prom Deck), and on and on…

We can’t go back to the past, even though going back to semi-formal/formal dress codes would make things much easier. So we roll forward, try our best, and be respectful to everyone (especially staff) once onboard. Beforehand, we can battle it all out here!!

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

A parody is a' humorous  imitation for comic effect'.

As far as I'm concerned, the modern twist given to the naming ceremony on Monday suited the 2024 Queen Anne.

I'm sure it didn't suit traditionalists but then I doubt the ship will suit either so that's OK. 🙂

Well, I don’t know. I’m pretty traditional and I like it, or almost all of it. 😀

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, I don’t know. I’m pretty traditional and I like it, or almost all of it. 😀

Ah but prefacing it with 'pretty' denies 'dyed in the wool die hards'! 😃

I'm fairly traditionalist and I liked [not loved] a lot of it too.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

Just now, Victoria2 said:

Ah but prefacing it with 'pretty' denies 'dyed in the wool die hards'! 😃

I'm pretty traditionalist and I liked [not loved] a lot of it too.

The only ship I’ve really loved was QE2, and I cried when we got off her for the last time. But I should probably hate her now. So few balconies, no forward observation lounge or any indoor forward view, very strange chairs in the Queens Room, etc, etc.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2024 at 11:50 AM, jaypo63 said:

I have to say, was completely underwhelmed by the ceremony, I don't know what I was expecting but it just all seemed tasteless,apart from Bocelli 

A friend e-mailed me a link to some excerpts of the ceremony. He said: "Is this the worst naming ceremony ever?"  Well, I wouldn't go that far. I have seen excerpts of some dreadful ones in Florida. 

As someone who is opposed to making any national anthem into a pop song I was not pleased with the version of God Save the King (except for the orchestral part which we were allowed to hear). Perhaps it was a blessing that Their Majesties were not present. It could have been worse, of course.

Today I have refreshed my memory by looking at excerpts of the ceremonies for the naming of the other three Cunard Queens.  Those were classy events.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

A friend e-mailed me a link to some excerpts of the ceremony. He said: "Is this the worst naming ceremony ever?"  Well, I wouldn't go that far. I have seen excerpts of some dreadful ones in Florida. 

As someone who is opposed to making any national anthem into a pop song I was not pleased with the version of God Save the King (except for the orchestral part which we were allowed to hear). Perhaps it was a blessing that Their Majesties were not present. It could have been worse, of course.

Today I have refreshed my memory by looking at excerpts of the ceremonies for the naming of the other three Cunard Queens.  Those were classy events.

Yes, I think because the other Cunard ship naming ceremonies were so classic, I was expecting more of the same,oh well,at least we didn't have the rest of the spice girls bouncing about on the stage 😂🤣

I think the point here is that Cunard have not had a new ship for around 14 years and in that time much has changed, both in the world in general and the cruising world in particular and even more so within in Carnival.

The QA naming was along similar lines to that of P&O's Arvia a couple of years ago and to me is another sign of the Americanisation of Carnival UK

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1