Question on Combo Cruises

cmaasfamily

We just booked "Iberian and Mediterranean Odyssey" on the Vela in October 2025. It is a combination of "Iberian Explorer" and "Mediterranean Odyssey". I've heard that when you book back-to-back cruises on a ship, excursions on transition days are minimal. This cruise is marketed and sold as a single cruise and lists a full slate of excursions for both days in Barcelona. Just wondering if that's really what we'll find on the second day when passengers are leaving and boarding or if excursions will be reduced or perhaps more chaotic. World cruisers experience this phenomenon many times, of course. How should we set our expectations?

I'll get the ball rolling.

The website uses generic pages to describe ports visited.

When it comes time to book shore excursions, you will not be able to book excursions for turnover day. That will be done for all continuing guests on board the ship. The number of choices offered may depend on the number of continuing guests.

Remember that it is one included tour per port,  not one per day.

When it comes time to book shorex and dining, you book for the entire cruise, not segment by segment.  

Barcelona is ideal for exploring on your own or taking an independent tour. The port is close to the start of La Ramblas where everyone should walk the length of  once in their lifetime.

In case you missed it, here is my review of the our Mediterranean Odyssey cruise from last year (Venice to Barcelona)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2927474-almost-live-viking-sky-mediterranean-odyssey-april-2023/

We just completed a cruise like this, and it was 3 segments sold as one cruise to us. So we had a turnover day in Rome & Venice (which we were docked for 2 nights there). When we got on board, we could go to guest services to book excursions for Venice. However, because people who got on the week before us could do that already, there were some excursions already sold out. There were several excursions each of the 3 days we were there though. But like @Peregrina651 said, you only can have ONE included excursion for the port, so it didn't matter that we were there 3 days. You can still book an optional one every day if you want though. For Rome, they put pieces of paper in our room that explained the options, you had to fill it out and return it to guest services.

And yes, you'll book all your excursions when you're window opens for all the other days. Same with your dining and spa reservations, it's for the entire cruise. However, when you get on board, you'll only get your tickets for the first week. And then, each week after that, they'll deliver your tickets for excursions to your room.

Thanks, all. That's good info on only one included excursion per port (not per day). I wasn't aware of that, although frankly, we don't do included excursions often, especially not in a major port like Barcelona. 

Posted (edited)

We just got off the Orion in Vancouver, which we took from Bangkok.  It was 3 separate cruises, Bangkok to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Tokyo and Tokyo to Vancouver.  When we booked our excursions before boarding, Hong Kong and Tokyo only had excursions 2/3 days we were in port for these days…the first and last day.  Excursions for the second day were scheduled not long after we got onto the ship though a form we received from Guest services.  
On that second day, there were some of the same excursions that were available on days 1 and 3.  We did do some jockeying around of excursions, exchanging ones we had booked on day 1 for day 2 because the other ones we wanted weren’t offered on day 2.  In Hong Kong, DH and I decided to split up on excursions, so both of us got waitlisted for 2 different excursions on that first day.  It all worked out for us.  
Usually we for included excursions around what we want to see.  If we can’t fit it in, then we pass on it.

Edited by Mich3554

9 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

We just got off the Orion in Vancouver, which we took from Bangkok.  It was 3 separate cruises, Bangkok to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Tokyo and Tokyo to Vancouver.  When we booked our excursions before boarding, Hong Kong and Tokyo only had excursions 2/3 days we were in port for these days…the first and last day.  Excursions for the second day were scheduled not long after we got onto the ship though a form we received from Guest services.  
On that second day, there were some of the same excursions that were available on days 1 and 3.  We did do some jockeying around of excursions, exchanging ones we had booked on day 1 for day 2 because the other ones we wanted weren’t offered on day 2.  In Hong Kong, DH and I decided to split up on excursions, so both of us got waitlisted for 2 different excursions on that first day.  It all worked out for us.  
Usually we for included excursions around what we want to see.  If we can’t fit it in, then we pass on it.

We are booked on a Tokyo - Hong Kong cruise next year. I’m interested to know what excursions you took in Japan and how you rate them. Thanks In advance.

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We are booked on a Tokyo - Hong Kong cruise next year. I’m interested to know what excursions you took in Japan and how you rate them. Thanks In advance.

I second the request but ask that you not bury the answer here where no one will ever think to look for it. I suggest that you answer the question in this thread dedicated to all things FAR EASTERN HORIZONS. It has a strong following of folks who would like to hear from folks who have already taken this trip

Watching for your answer and TIA.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I second the request but ask that you not bury the answer here where no one will ever think to look for it. I suggest that you answer the question in this thread dedicated to all things FAR EASTERN HORIZONS. It has a strong following of folks who would like to hear from folks who have already taken this trip

Watching for your answer and TIA.

OK, I'm not who was asked, but we were on the Orion April/May for the Far East and Alaska, which includes this trip. I'll post this over on the FEH board, but am attaching it here as well. Hope it's of some use to others! 🍺🥌

Far Eastern Horizons.pdf

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, cmaasfamily said:

Thanks, all. That's good info on only one included excursion per port (not per day). I wasn't aware of that, although frankly, we don't do included excursions often, especially not in a major port like Barcelona. 

We also don't do that many included tours.

However, the included tour we had in Barcelona was actually one of the best included tours we've done with Viking.  Yes, there was a short bus ride for orientation and some out of the way sites, but the majority was a good walk tour of Barcelona - easily 3 hours of walking.  We got to see quite a bit, and had a wonderful guide.   I do think many of the more immobile people were disappointed that there was walking involved, but it was perfectly described.

• Like 1