Isle of Skye help and advice

We are on the July 10 Icelandic, Scotland, British Isles tour. We will be in Portree, Isle of Skye, on July 14 for about 5 hours. I have been unable to hire any driver to show us some of the most iconic sites. Everyone is booked - every tour guide, taxi driver, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions to help us?

On Skye I would be really tempted to go with a cruise line excursion. You are going mid July and Skye will be at its absolute busiest then as it’s right in the middle of Scottish school holidays. I mean Skye is busy all season long, truth be told. My sister goes often and will not step foot on Skye between April to October due to overcrowding. Getting caught in traffic and not getting back to the ship would be a major issue for me on Skye. There’s no alternative routes back. The road infrastructure is just not there. 

I know I sound a bit negative but this is the reality. It’s a pity as Skye is really beautiful. To get the best of it though, you really need to be outdoors hiking at the iconic places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Since they built the bridge Skye is longer an island and it is suffering greatly as a result. I was there last year in August, but limited our visit to a trip to Raasay which was bliss.

July is a busy month for visitors and adding a few thousand cruise passengers just adds to demand for services.

In all honesty 5 hours ashore isn't a great amount of time (is this correct as sites are suggesting 9 hours in port). It will be a tender port so that takes time.  Portree doesn't offer much, you can see it in a couple of hours, but it is central so you can get to most visitor attractions in about half an hour.

There are public buses and a trip on the 57A or 57C from Portree on a 2 hour circular trip of the north via Uig could be considered.

If private tours are full you may need to take a ship tour.

Edited by Thejuggler

Thank you everyone for your input and advice. Unfortunately all the ship’s excursions are fully booked and I’ve been unable to contract with any private person or company. I will keep trying, however, and the suggestion from Thejuggler about a possible bus route seems promising. Thank you for that.

On 6/4/2024 at 2:52 AM, Scottishclover said:

On Skye I would be really tempted to go with a cruise line excursion. You are going mid July and Skye will be at its absolute busiest then as it’s right in the middle of Scottish school holidays. I mean Skye is busy all season long, truth be told. My sister goes often and will not step foot on Skye between April to October due to overcrowding. Getting caught in traffic and not getting back to the ship would be a major issue for me on Skye. There’s no alternative routes back. The road infrastructure is just not there. 

I know I sound a bit negative but this is the reality. It’s a pity as Skye is really beautiful. To get the best of it though, you really need to be outdoors hiking at the iconic places.

For whatever reason, the cruise line only has 2 excursions for Skye and they have both been sold out for months.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2024 at 1:13 PM, Cruising on a Sunday afte said:

Did you try Gus’s Taxis?

I don't know about the OP, but I contacted Gus's Taxis and was informed that they (like apparently everyone else) is booked for the day.