Livorno to Pisa and Florence Same Day Possible

realnice46

we did both with the same port time.

My 'plan' was to visit Florence first then Pisa if we had time. (plus if anything went wrong, Pisa is much closer to Livorno so we could easily get a cab to the ship)

BUT we got a late start and missed the train to Florence! so we flipped the itinerary.

When we arrived at Pisa Centrale we took a cab to the Square of Miracles. We may have spent 30-40 minutes there, then took a cab back to the station and hopped on the train to Florence.

Just be very mindful of the train times and allow for a delay in finding a cab. 

• Like 1

We did Florence from livorno a few years ago (shuttle+bus+train) and it felt rushed for us but we could see the highlights. We did pisa with a tour (viator or something similar) and it was much more simple (we spent there 1,30 hours, and could spend more if we had the time because we visited all the sights inside). If you only want to take some pictures and skip the visits inside the buildings it's doable. Pay attention that there are only a few trains in the morning. There are lots of trips (viator, get your guide...) that include both places. We will stop in Livorno but will visit Lucca, btw. 🙂

We did it comfortably, but

- we were early off the ship, taxi from quayside to station (you need to be lucky, because it's a secure port, no walking - and ships' shuttlebuses take you to the city centre & you then need a local bus to the station). We caught a train at about 8.15. Trains terminate at Firenze Santa Maria Novella, right on the edge of the historic centre of Florence.

NB Florence first, Pisa last. Pisa is much much closer to Livorno, there are more trains from Pisa to Livorno than from Florence, taxi from Pisa to ship if necessary  

(I'm very glad we didn't listen to advice to go to Pisa first "because it's crowded later in the day". It wasn't.)

- we weren't fussed about inside visits in Florence. We left around mid-afternoon.

And no chance of climbing the leaning tower in the timescale.

- like yours our ship sailed about7pm.

- you'll get a flavour of both, but not in-depth.

Your train ticket allows you to break your journey, so all you need is a return ticket to Florence.

It's a 20 minute level walk from Pisa Centrale to the Field of Miracles.

Go armed with a list of train times for all options,  https://www.trenitalia.com/it.html and double-check those times when you get to Livorno Centrale. Then you can change your mind depending how the day is panning-out. 

JB 🙂

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Would it be possible to do Pisa and Florence in one day from Livorno? We are in port from 7AM-7PM.

Should you decide that your initial thoughts  would be too rushed and stressful , consider instead combining Pisa and pretty Lucca, both of which can be visited by train more easily  on  a port day.  This is a popular independent sightseeing day with cruise pax. Images and info on Lucca can be found online.

Edited by edinburgher

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

We did it comfortably, but

- we were early off the ship, taxi from quayside to station (you need to be lucky, because it's a secure port, no walking - and ships' shuttlebuses take you to the city centre & you then need a local bus to the station). We caught a train at about 8.15. Trains terminate at Firenze Santa Maria Novella, right on the edge of the historic centre of Florence.

NB Florence first, Pisa last. Pisa is much much closer to Livorno, there are more trains from Pisa to Livorno than from Florence, taxi from Pisa to ship if necessary  

(I'm very glad we didn't listen to advice to go to Pisa first "because it's crowded later in the day". It wasn't.)

- we weren't fussed about inside visits in Florence. We left around mid-afternoon.

And no chance of climbing the leaning tower in the timescale.

- like yours our ship sailed about7pm.

- you'll get a flavour of both, but not in-depth.

Your train ticket allows you to break your journey, so all you need is a return ticket to Florence.

It's a 20 minute level walk from Pisa Centrale to the Field of Miracles.

Go armed with a list of train times for all options,  https://www.trenitalia.com/it.html and double-check those times when you get to Livorno Centrale. Then you can change your mind depending how the day is panning-out. 

JB 🙂

Thank you.

As others have posted, it can be done.  That being said, we have spent many days/nights in Florence and still have not had enough of this wonderful city.  As to Pisa, humbug!  LOL.  I think we might hold the record for the shortest visit to Pisa.  On one cruise visit, we had a rental car and I agreed to take another couple along with us on our planned day trip up to Riomaggiore (Cinque Terre).  They asked if we could possibly stop at Pisa, since they wanted to see the Leaning Tower (and adjacent Field of Miracles).  

We left Cinque Terre a little early, and I managed to navigate the ZTL (limited driving zone) in Pisa, and find a parking spot a few blocks from the Tower.  We all walked over to see the view, our friends took a couple of photos, and we were back in our car...all within about 15 minutes.  That would no longer be possible since, I believe, they have expanded the ZTL in Pisa which makes getting a close parking spot somewhat more problematic.

Hank

On 6/3/2024 at 1:55 PM, realnice46 said:

Would it be possible to do Pisa and Florence in one day from Livorno? We are in port from 7AM-7PM.

As others have said, yes, it is possible.  In my opinion, however, it is not sensible or desirable.  Getting to and from Florence will consume a chunk of your day already so I would skip Pisa entirely.  I don't know what your interests are but there is so much in Florence that I still have not seen it all and you certainly cannot 'do' Florence in one day.  You have to research and choose.

On 6/4/2024 at 5:16 PM, edinburgher said:

Should you decide that your initial thoughts  would be too rushed and stressful , consider instead combining Pisa and pretty Lucca, both of which can be visited by train more easily  on  a port day.  This is a popular independent sightseeing day with cruise pax. Images and info on Lucca can be found online.

This.  We have done both on same day and it worked so well.  Obviously you go to Lucca first - it is so lovely walking the walls.  On the train back you could probably get off at the Campo dei miracoli rather than having to walk from the Pisa main train station.   This is what we did because Lucca to Pisa was a local train. 

It is true that Florence is lovely.  It is like an open air museum, but to do it with Pisa is a bit of a rush.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

This.  We have done both on same day and it worked so well.  Obviously you go to Lucca first - it is so lovely walking the walls.  On the train back you could probably get off at the Campo dei miracoli rather than having to walk from the Pisa main train station.   This is what we did because Lucca to Pisa was a local train. 

Totally agree.We did exactly the same first time.  Lucca first then Pisa.  We also got off at that little second train station as we could see on an online map that it was only a few steps away from the Tower.  We returned from  Central Station and it was quite a bit further to walk.On our second more leisurely visit to Lucca we went directly there and back, as we had already visited Pisa and didn't feel tempted by a rushed visit to Florence.

realnice46, should you decide against including Florence, consider the  Lucca and Pisa option.

Info and images of Lucca will be easily found online, but I have never heard anyone say they "didn't like Lucca" or that "Lucca was a waste of time".

Edited by edinburgher