Cozumel's Current Taxi Rates from the SSA International Cruise Terminal

Huck Finn

Posted (edited)

On the Harmony of the Seas and will be docking at the International pier in Cozumel on 6/21. I'm looking for the current taxi rates from the terminal to other island destinations, but everything I've found is either outdated or unclear. I know the the taxi stand outside the terminal has a sign that has the taxi rates itemized by destination. Wondering if someone can snap a picture of that sign and post it to the forum.  The rates from the Puerta Maya Pier are probably very similar (if not identical), so that would also be useful. For reference, I am attaching a picture of what I believe is an outdated Puerta Maya sign (this will help everyone know what I'm talking about).  Thanks in advance and enjoy Cozumel!!

old-cozumel-taxi-rate-sign.jpg

Edited by Huck Finn
clarification
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

This was sent to me by our Genie, Bing Bai, on the Harmony of the Seas. Thanks Bing, you're phenomenal.

As of June 15, 2024, these are the posted Taxi Rates from the International Pier to the listed destinations around Cozumel. Note that the prices are in U.S. dollars and are broken down into groups up to 4 passengers and groups of 5-8 passengers. You need to know the rates because some taxi drivers will quote a higher rate, hoping you do not know the correct rate. They CANNOT charge more than the posted rates. Confirm the rate with the driver before you get in the taxi.

If the taxi does not pick you up / drop you off at one of the three cruise piers (eg., at a hotel or business nearby), there is a different, significantly less expensive rate, that is quoted in pesos and is determined by the "zone" in which you were picked up and the "zone" or hotel to which you are going. Those rates are based on the City's Center, so if 5 passengers are traveling from a hotel in Zona Sur 3 to a hotel in Zona Norte 2, they would add the two rates to get the correct total (you essentially pay the rate from your pick-up location to the city center plus the rate from the city center to your destination).  I have posted that official rate sheet as well.

And finally, I am also attaching a copy of the taxi rates from the Punta Langosta Pier (where Carnival and other ships dock). This was the sign posted as of April 2024 and comes courtesy of a post on another cruise blog. The rates are the same as the International Pier since they are almost side-by-side.

Happy cruising, and don't pay more than you should be paying for a taxi ride around Cozumel. Just remember to give the driver a fair tip!

CozumelTaxiRateApril2024-PuntaLangostaPier.thumb.jpeg.62c3b314446b16c2dadf78a2e6e72bcf.jpeg.

Cozumel Taxi Rate June 2024 - International Pier.jpg

Cozumel Taxi Rate by Zone - Official Sheet.png

Edited by Huck Finn
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/15/2024 at 3:14 AM, Huck Finn said:

This was sent to me by our Genie, Bing Bai, on the Harmony of the Seas. Thanks Bing, you're phenomenal.

As of June 15, 2024, these are the posted Taxi Rates from the International Pier to the listed destinations around Cozumel. Note that the prices are in U.S. dollars and are broken down into groups up to 4 passengers and groups of 5-8 passengers. You need to know the rates because some taxi drivers will quote a higher rate, hoping you do not know the correct rate. They CANNOT charge more than the posted rates. Confirm the rate with the driver before you get in the taxi.

If the taxi does not pick you up / drop you off at one of the three cruise piers (eg., at a hotel or business nearby), there is a different, significantly less expensive rate, that is quoted in pesos and is determined by the "zone" in which you were picked up and the "zone" or hotel to which you are going. Those rates are based on the City's Center, so if 5 passengers are traveling from a hotel in Zona Sur 3 to a hotel in Zona Norte 2, they would add the two rates to get the correct total (you essentially pay the rate from your pick-up location to the city center plus the rate from the city center to your destination).  I have posted that official rate sheet as well.

And finally, I am also attaching a copy of the taxi rates from the Punta Langosta Pier (where Carnival and other ships dock). This was the sign posted as of April 2024 and comes courtesy of a post on another cruise blog. The rates are the same as the International Pier since they are almost side-by-side.

Happy cruising, and don't pay more than you should be paying for a taxi ride around Cozumel. Just remember to give the driver a fair tip!

CozumelTaxiRateApril2024-PuntaLangostaPier.thumb.jpeg.62c3b314446b16c2dadf78a2e6e72bcf.jpeg.

Cozumel Taxi Rate June 2024 - International Pier.jpg

Cozumel Taxi Rate by Zone - Official Sheet.png

Thanks for this.  Huge pet peeve of mine is the outrageous rates cabs try to charge.  We always walk a ways and flag one.  I get really tired of that and the gas station trying to overcharge.  Im saving it to my phone.

Global inflation is alive and well. It was $17 to go to Nachi Cocom in October (now $20).

Small bonus that we're trying Paradise Beach this time, it's $2 less, lol. Just need to find a couple to split it with now.

Posted (edited)

Thanks @Huck Finn

Interesting that the official tarifa in pesos is still the one from 2016 when taxi fares were last officially increased as far as I know. Pity that that is only a very small section of it.

It would also be interesting to know where he got these from. I notice there is no exchange rate for the port boards despite saying you can pay in pesos.

Edited by c-leg5

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2024 at 11:34 AM, c-leg5 said:

"It would also be interesting to know where he got these from."

C-Leg5, it's unclear to what you are referring to. The signs are posted at the taxi stand outside each of the cruise terminal. You are correct that the official rates for the island has not changed since 2016. Of course, in 2016, the taxis had a monopoly on for-hire transportation. Now, I believe there are other ride services, including an Uber-type service (see https://www.reddit.com/r/cozumel/comments/1bijoax/new_ubertype_taxi_app/) which began service around March 2024.

I don't know anything about Eiby, except that the app ("Eiby Taxi Cliente") can be downloaded from both the Apple and Android app stores. From what I've read, it's still a bit buggy, and I'm not sure if the drivers service the cruise terminals. Apparently, you can either pay in cash or through the app. I don't know how the Eiby rates compare to the "official" taxi rates.

For those interested, I'm posting a more comprehensive look at the taxi rates for zone to zone passengers which the government authorized in 2016. 

Cozumel Zone Rate Sheet.jpg

Official Cozumel Taxi Rate 1.jpg

Official Cozumel Taxi Rate 2.jpg

Official Cozumel Taxi Rate 4.jpg

Official Cozumel Taxi Rate 4.jpg

Edited by Huck Finn