Ship time or shore time

Hello, I’m due to board a cruise on Celebrity Solstice in Vancouver shortly. I notice that the ship time is 1 hour behind the shore time. Do I board at the given hour shore time or ship time?

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Interesting question, and I have personally never come across this before where there is a published difference at embarkation of ship and shore time.

A few questions:

1) Is this a cruise itinerary that is part of a longer world cruise or something that you are getting on mid-way?

2) Where is this cruise ship headed after it leaves Vancouver?

3) Where were you alerted to this difference in ship vs. shore time?

My thoughts and opinion are:

Whatever time you are given to board, do so based on the shore time in Vancouver.  Navigating a difference between ship and shore time for those boarding a ship would only cause mass confusion and who would know when you were to board.

The only other advice is that once underway, monitor closely if there is a difference between ship and shore time and that you are looking at when you need to be back at the ship so you don't miss sail away.

Today smart watches and phones will adjust time automatically to shore time when you arrive in port.  Be very careful that this adjustment is not out of sync with ship time.

Edited by CDNPolar

6 hours ago, Finsabroad said:

Hello, I’m due to board a cruise on Celebrity Solstice in Vancouver shortly. I notice that the ship time is 1 hour behind the shore time. Do I board at the given hour shore time or ship time?

I'm curious how you have determined what time the ship will be using when you board. Regardless, you should use Vancouver local time (PDT). That is the time the ship will be using when it docks. It will change as it heads North to Alaska which is 1 hour behind PDT.

7 hours ago, Finsabroad said:

Alaska and BC are in different time some , probably when you check the app the ship was probably sailing in Alaska time zone 

When the ship is in Vancouver it will be in BC time zone 

Many thanks to you all.

The Celebrity app gives the current ship time and when I looked at it, it was displaying an hour before the current time in Vancouver.

Of course Solstice is actually on a cruise in Alaskan waters so you all make the point that the time may well be adjusted on return to Canadian waters.

I will use local time to board. 
Again many thanks