Gotta Getaway - Semi Live From NCL Getaway - June 16th-25th

Oh my gosh yall, I’m so sorry I’ve been completely MIA!

It’s been virtually non stop go go go go go and I needed to take a little bit of a phone break but I’m back! 

Where were we? Oh yea, lunch! 

Ok so this lunch was really nice. We entered Monte Due Torri which was absolutely beautiful! One room with stunning stone walls looked like it was being prepped for a wedding reception. 

We on the other hand entered a more simple room but stunning nonetheless. Perhaps where the cocktail hour would be held. The room was set up with large round tables set for 8 with bottles of water and wine stationed around and a pasta making station on wheels.

The first part of our lunch was a pasta making lesson. Very simple with flour, extra virgin olive oil  and water (no eggs) we watched them knead and roll out the mixture by hand. Hand made, hand rolled and hand cut they made gnochetti right before our eyes. 

Next up a delicious fresh corn and tomato salad simply dressed with a touch of EVOO and a sprinkling of salt. We also received some grilled bread and guanciale. 

Finally our main course was presented a homemade pasta lasagne with a delectable meat sauce and gnochetti in a light tomato sauce. 

You could taste the simplicity of the few ingredients used as well as the deliciousness and freshness. All 4 of us all but licked our plates cleaned. 

Next up we were offered a fresh tiramisu and cafe. 

One thing after the next everything was incredible!

Finally we boarded our bus and made our way back to the ship. Because of the very high temperatures and poor air quality there was a heavy thickness in the air and we debated whether we would pool or nap. Nap won that debate and shortly after reboarding the Getaway, I was tucked into bed and napping away!

Tonight’s dinner would be at ocean blue with our friends for 8:30 so I had a solid hour, hour and a half to relax before having to get ready for dinner. 

We met our friends at sugarcanes for a pre dinner mojito before waking over to the restaurant. 

Dinner at OB was very good! We started with the Pan Seared Scallops and clam chowder before having the surf and turf for our main. 

I finished my lobster but 3/4 of the way through my steak, I had to throw in the towel as lunch had me stuffed. I even had to pass on dessert but the rest of the table shared the 4 options.

After dinner we decided to check out the ice bar as I’ve never done it before. It was a cool experience but probably not one I’d do again as I personally was not a fan of the 3 drink offerings. However the bartender was phenomenal and as we were the only ones in there was a little loose with the rules and allowed all of us to try each of the 3 drinks as well as a shot of Vodka. We hung out in there for about 30-40 minutes before we decided we were too cold to last much longer. 

After the ice bar, we decided to check out the decades party up at spice for a little while. But no one was dressed up, not even the crew so we didn’t last long before we agreed to call it a night.

We had to meet up at 7:30 tomorrow morning so going to bed at 11:30 was a good idea!

• Like 4

Today, we’re in Naples! And our plans today will have us in Pompeii but first, Limoncello! 

Our first of a few stops today was a limoncello factory. We had the opportunity to tour through the factory and learn how limoncello is made. They only use the lemon peel, water, sugar and alcohol. And we had the pleasure of watching the peelers make work of these lemons for production. After the tour we had a chance to try 3 different samples, traditional limoncello, melon-cello and and a lemon liquor of sorts. We also got to sample some chocolates and lemon candy. Everything was very tasty. 

After limoncello, we had an opportunity to visit a woodworks factory and spend some free time in Sorrento. Naturally Gelato was a part of our free time and shortly after it was time for lunch. 

We visited a very interesting restaurant equipped with some unique donkey artwork. 

Again our tables were dressed with bottles of water and wine. Shortly after sitting we were presented with ricotta and spinach stuffed cannelloni which was absolutely delicious!

After our pasta course, we had a chicken entree with tomato, spinach and cheese in a brown sauce paired with potatoes and some greens. Everything was very yummy. 

For dessert, we had a sliver of lemon cake but sadly no cafe! Oh well.

Our last stop of the day would be Pompeii.

Pompeii was quite busy and we congregated at the cammeo shop before entering the archeological site. 

Once we entered the site, our guide pointed out many of the old shops, homes and bakeries. Currently excavations are still occurring in various site trying to determine what type of shops were in production at that time. We also learned the importance of the many fountains and how the “cross walks” were giant slabs with separations to allow for the carriages to proceed through.

We visited the baths and the theater and learned a little about the gladiators of that time.

It was extremely interesting to learn the history and see the site of Pompeii. After about an hour we made our way back to the bus to head towards the ship.

As we started at the furthest point and worked our way back slowly, we were already close to the ship and only had about 30 minutes drive back. 

This time pool won the nap/pool debate but as we discover broadway unplugged would be playing in the illusionaroum at 7pm we only had about 45 minutes before we had to start getting ready for the show. 

• Like 3

Broadway unplugged was very good as the cast from million dollar quartet put their own spin on many classic broadway hits with a bit of broadway history. Aside from the fact that hubs knows little to nothing of broadway, we all throughly enjoyed ourselves and there was only one song I didn’t know.

After the show we made our way to La Cucina for dinner. Tonight it would just be hubs and I. Shortly after sitting though I hit a wall and exhaustion crept up on me. So much so that I left the majority of my dinner untouched. I did however devour my mozzarella and tomato’s and Gorgonzola and pear salad. 

It was time to crash. Tomorrow (today) our meeting time is 7:20 so every day it’s getting just a little bit earlier! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spinelli1107 said:

Today, we’re in Naples! And our plans today will have us in Pompeii but first, Limoncello! 

Our first of a few stops today was a limoncello factory. We had the opportunity to tour through the factory and learn how limoncello is made. They only use the lemon peel, water, sugar and alcohol. And we had the pleasure of watching the peelers make work of these lemons for production. After the tour we had a chance to try 3 different samples, traditional limoncello, melon-cello and and a lemon liquor of sorts. We also got to sample some chocolates and lemon candy. Everything was very tasty. 

After limoncello, we had an opportunity to visit a woodworks factory and spend some free time in Sorrento. Naturally Gelato was a part of our free time and shortly after it was time for lunch. 

We visited a very interesting restaurant equipped with some unique donkey artwork. 

Again our tables were dressed with bottles of water and wine. Shortly after sitting we were presented with ricotta and spinach stuffed cannelloni which was absolutely delicious!

After our pasta course, we had a chicken entree with tomato, spinach and cheese in a brown sauce paired with potatoes and some greens. Everything was very yummy. 

For dessert, we had a sliver of lemon cake but sadly no cafe! Oh well.

Our last stop of the day would be Pompeii.

Pompeii was quite busy and we congregated at the cammeo shop before entering the archeological site. 

Once we entered the site, our guide pointed out many of the old shops, homes and bakeries. Currently excavations are still occurring in various site trying to determine what type of shops were in production at that time. We also learned the importance of the many fountains and how the “cross walks” were giant slabs with separations to allow for the carriages to proceed through.

We visited the baths and the theater and learned a little about the gladiators of that time.

It was extremely interesting to learn the history and see the site of Pompeii. After about an hour we made our way back to the bus to head towards the ship.

As we started at the furthest point and worked our way back slowly, we were already close to the ship and only had about 30 minutes drive back. 

This time pool won the nap/pool debate but as we discover broadway unplugged would be playing in the illusionaroum at 7pm we only had about 45 minutes before we had to start getting ready for the show. 

I am really enjoying your review! Was this a tour that you booked through NCL?

• Like 2

On 6/17/2024 at 5:10 PM, stellarose33 said:

…being a pescatarian is hard looking at these speciality restaurants. 

I will post menu’s of the specialty restaurants later today or tomorrow. But they can also be found online. If you express to your server any dietary restrictions they will provide guidance. From my memory, there is AT LEAST one vegetarian and one pescatarian option available at each of the Specialties. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 5:24 PM, cruiseny4life said:

First, this sounds like a perfect adventure for me….My question - you spent 25 - 30 minutes there.

Yes, this was a wonderful adventure and likewise felt as though we could have spent hours down there

The time limitation was structured to our tour, however, on looking into the Catacombs website it seems as though generally their tours are kept to 30 minutes with a guide but unsure if you could do a self tour 

We also felt that we could have spent hours down there getting ourselves lost! 

On 6/19/2024 at 9:36 PM, schmoopie17 said:

Who did this tour? 

This tour and much of the ones we did were direct through NCL, but I’m not sure exactly which tour company ran it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spinelli1107 said:

We thoroughly enjoy Limoncello, but the Melon-cello!!  OMG!!  We found it right before we got on the ship in one of the ports in one of the many shops.  We thought we would take a chance on the Meloncello and we were very surprised on how much we like it over the original Limoncello.  On our October TA, one of the must buys is more Meloncello.

• Like 1

Been studying Santori on Google Maps, and have always dreamed of the Greek Isles. Can't wait to hear about it. I see the harbor is a tiny place, and you have to take a cable car or donkey/walking path that winds way up the cliffside!  Must be crazy with 2 ships anchored in the bay.

2 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Been studying Santori on Google Maps, and have always dreamed of the Greek Isles. Can't wait to hear about it. I see the harbor is a tiny place, and you have to take a cable car or donkey/walking path that winds way up the cliffside!  Must be crazy with 2 ships anchored in the bay.

More likely 5 or 6 ships. We were there one day with 11 ships during the day. Wasn’t a problem for us as we were first to arrive at 7:00 a.m. and last to leave at 11:00 p.m. 

• Like 2

Really enjoying this trip report. Thank you for sharing. I'm on Escape in August, stopping in a number of the ports (Naples, Messina, Valletta, Corfu & Split) you have. In general, does NCL suggest taking your passport + shipboard card ashore, and to get back onboard? I'd like to leave my passport in the cabin, use my American driver's license as ID. Thanks!

1 hour ago, JaynBNA said:

Really enjoying this trip report. Thank you for sharing. I'm on Escape in August, stopping in a number of the ports (Naples, Messina, Valletta, Corfu & Split) you have. In general, does NCL suggest taking your passport + shipboard card ashore, and to get back onboard? I'd like to leave my passport in the cabin, use my American driver's license as ID. Thanks!

I always leave my passport on the ship. The one time I didn’t it was stolen in Canada. The good thing was my passport card was on the ship and I had no issue getting home. Took 5 minutes extra. 

4 hours ago, JaynBNA said:

NCL will advise what is required for each port.  I recall a drivers license was ok as ID for all ports that did ID checks.  Beyond that it is a personal decision and everyone has their own view.