New Cagney’s Menu…

Seems like most of what has been removed from different menues are the things I would order. Oh well, it's not like I have to go hungry anyway. Just a little less happy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The items removed does not surprise or shock me.  The prices for each item do shock me.  If someone was the pay for an appetizer, steak, 2 sides, and dessert would be $100 per person easily. In the old days 2 people could eat at Cagney's for $50 and that included everything.

If they dumb these menus down any more it won’t be worth the extra cost.  It’s too bad this happened 2 weeks before I’m sailing.  I’m all about specialty dining and some of the cut dishes were things I was planning on trying.  Oh well.  

6 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

The items removed does not surprise or shock me.  The prices for each item do shock me.  If someone was the pay for an appetizer, steak, 2 sides, and dessert would be $100 per person easily. In the old days 2 people could eat at Cagney's for $50 and that included everything.

I think last night's bill (they make you sign it with 0 due) was $132 and we had just an entree and dessert each - no appetizers. 

4 hours ago, zqvol said:

Seafood is never “fresh”. Federal,law requires it to be frozen to a certain temp, and held at that temp for a period of time before being sold to eliminate “bugs”. 

This may pertain to certain seafood - I am not sure.  But I am sure it does not pertain to all sea food.  Case in point, lobsters, crabs, and shellfish are often sold live.  Clearly, they have not been frozen.

This US FDA web page also indicates seafood can be sold without having been frozen.

Selecting and Serving Fresh and Frozen Seafood Safely | FDA

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

In the old days 2 people could eat at Cagney's for $50 and that included everything.

Yeah, but now everybody is eating there for free so the published prices are just marketing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yeah, but now everybody is eating there for free so the published prices are just marketing.

This is an important point.  I feel like a lot of the specialty dining is quality and choices that used to be included in the main dining room.  A lobster tail night, a decent steak.  

Separating out the better quality items into "upcharge specialty dining" is just another way to milk a few dollars out of things that used to be included in the base price. Yes, everyone gets "free at sea" -- But they milk out a few extra dollars in service charges. Then some people upgrade beyond the 1-2 included FAS meals.  (and if more than 2 people in the cabin.. paying for those people).  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

True but there are some people that are paying those prices.  Some people may not have the meal package since its only offered for the first 2 guests.

Just my comment from the peanut gallery.  Also its worth to buy a meal package even if you decline the "free" at sea offer.   The steak prices are reasonable but if it was a land restaurant that price would include sides and maybe an appetizer.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Aren't they free?

It’s not free if you’re like me and bought the FAS upgrade to get two more and then a 2 meal dining package on top of that!  Only two of the six would be “free” minus gratuities.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

It’s not free if you’re like me and bought the FAS upgrade to get two more and then a 2 meal dining package on top of that!

True.  I don't do any of that. On a B2B, I get six free specialty dining, even in steerage.  That's enough.  The food just really isn't that great.

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

The steak prices are reasonable but if it was a land restaurant that price would include sides and maybe an appetizer.

The steak prices might be reasonable if it was consistently great quality.  That certainly hasn't been my experience.  It's just marketing to encourage folks to think they are getting a $100 meal for free.  They aren't.  I've seen folks proudly post their dining receipts here as if that bottom line is some fantastic gift from NCL.  A bunch of fancy names for food and a bunch of fancy prices.  At the end of the day, they are nice venues with great staff that roll out hit or miss food.  That's okay.  Like I said.  I'm not paying anything extra for it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The steak prices might be reasonable if it was consistently great quality.  That certainly hasn't been my experience.  It's just marketing to encourage folks to think they are getting a $100 meal for free.  They aren't.  I've seen folks proudly post their dining receipts here as if that bottom line is some fantastic gift from NCL.  A bunch of fancy names for food and a bunch of fancy prices.  At the end of the day, they are nice venues with great staff that roll out hit or miss food.  That's okay.  Like I said.  I'm not paying anything extra for it.

Can vouch for this. First time at Cagney's they overcooked the steak. A steakhouse that can't cook medium is not impressive. It was better the second time. I guess they needed practice.

26 minutes ago, slidemaster5 said:

Can vouch for this. First time at Cagney's they overcooked the steak. A steakhouse that can't cook medium is not impressive. It was better the second time. I guess they needed practice.

I've not had a bad steak. But then, I can eat it from Medium down to Still Mooing. My wife, on the other hand, must have a bright, pink Medium. She's learned to enjoy everything else and take the steak however she gets it. She did try the trout once, never again. No surprise to her that it's gone.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Pablo Diablo said:

It appears the Le Bistro menu has been updated as well.  It also now combined Appetizers, Soups and Salads into one group.  Selections that have been removed include the pan seared bay scallops (appetizer)  , roasted maple leaf duck breast (entree) and marrons et clementines (dessert).

No new menu items have been added.

I always order the duck at Le Bistro.  Do you have the link for the new menu? I’ll need to decide whether to bother going there on my next cruise if there’s no duck. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Just came to say that taking away onion rings is just wrong. 

Agreed. We used to take a couple back to the cabin to play Ring Toss later...

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, havoc315 said:

Yes… seems they are changing it from an included 4 course meal to a 3 course meal. 

On Joy in March it was 3 courses.

The waiter made it very clear as we placed our order. 

4 minutes ago, DrUrsula said:

On Joy in March it was 3 courses.

The waiter made it very clear as we placed our order. 

Which directly contradicts the website:

IMG_3174.thumb.jpeg.c8dce98b09234572691896b9c52ad011.jpeg