LIVE - Legendary Alaska - 28 days with The Inside Cabin - Westerdam

7 minutes ago, josumello said:

Is port valet offered on all HAL cruises? We are doing Koninsdam Hawaii South Pacific 35 day cruise in Feb round trip San Diego. 
Thanks Pete for all your knowledge. Much appreciated. 

Port valet is arranged/offered by the Port of Seattle - not HAL.    Seattle is the only port where something like this is still available free to guests.  As far as I know. 

There have been similar services at other ports in the past but they were never free.   

Luggage forward offers a similar service - definitely not free- on the world cruise only.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DonnyD-JJ said:

Is it a long walk from where Seattle Express drops you off and the entrance to your airline area? 

Unlike FLL, Seattle only has one terminal and you get dropped off in the center right by Delta Checkin.   If you are not on delta there's more of a walk. 

22 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Luggage forward offers a similar service - definitely not free- on the world cruise only.  

Luggage Forward offers the service on all Holland America ships. It has a special website for HAL: https://app.luggageforward.com/cobrands/GMYHNE9MV7K2?cpn=HC2MYDWECE6X&utm_campaign=holland-america-line%2Fz7743f26tpnmmcey&utm_id=HC2MYDWECE6X&utm_medium=strategic_partner&utm_source=holland_america_line

You pick your cruise from drop-down menus, and put your luggage out the night before like always. However, your bag(s) are shipped, not delivered to the airport to go on your flight. Just FYI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Luggage Forward offers the service on all Holland America ships. It has a special website for HAL: https://app.luggageforward.com/cobrands/GMYHNE9MV7K2?cpn=HC2MYDWECE6X&utm_campaign=holland-america-line%2Fz7743f26tpnmmcey&utm_id=HC2MYDWECE6X&utm_medium=strategic_partner&utm_source=holland_america_line

You pick your cruise from drop-down menus, and put your luggage out the night before like always. However, your bag(s) are shipped, not delivered to the airport to go on your flight. Just FYI.

Does using LF on other cruises require you to reclaim them in the terminal before handing them over to UPS/FEDEX?    That was the big benefit of LF on the world cruise.  

5 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Does using LF on other cruises require you to reclaim them in the terminal before handing them over to UPS/FEDEX?    That was the big benefit of LF on the world cruise.  

That was my concern. Having to claim luggage in terminal and bring it ourselves to luggage direct delivery reps would defeat the purpose. Might just as well deal with luggage on our own. ☹️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, josumello said:

That was my concern. Having to claim luggage in terminal and bring it ourselves to luggage direct delivery reps would defeat the purpose. Might just as well deal with luggage on our own. ☹️

There is still the advantage that you can enjoy the day in the city , without luggage, if you have a later flight.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much Pete and Judy, I totally enjoyed following your Live From, now to hit the heat of San Diego. Although San Diego is not getting near as bad as we are here in Las Vegas. Actually your weather looks amazing right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2024 at 7:52 AM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I don't know. Last fall I boarded the Zaandam in Montreal, but shipped a suitcase with LF to Fort Lauderdale, where I was continuing on. I carried it myself from the Zaandam to the Zuiderdam a few months later and then shipped it home at the end of the world cruise. So I know you can book one-ways to/from various ships.

Posted (edited)

SALMON FOLLOWUP

As I reported earlier on July 2nd, Judy caught a Chum Salmon.   Here is some information about Chum Salmon as it seems to have a bad reputation.  Judy's Salmon was in the Silverbrite stage as noted below.  

"Chum salmon, also called keta, dog or silverbrite, tends to be the least known of the five Pacific salmon species and receives little love – this may be because of its “dog” moniker, based on sled dogs being fed chum in the north and the sharp dog-like teeth of spawning males. But don’t be fooled, fresh or flash-frozen chum caught during the silverbrite phase (see below) should be on your salmon rotation despite misconceptions that it isn’t a “good” salmon. It’s high time we shed chum’s pet food image!"

image.thumb.png.c6528aefc08e5734ce6aa5eef7d92c68.png

This silverbright chum (top) was still a long way from the spawning grounds while the dark, striped chum (bottom) was in it’s spawning phase ready to spawn and die within the week.

The Salmon arrived via overnight FEDEX today.   Shipping and handling was $175.   We received 7 filets weighing 3 lbs 7 ounces.  Or about $50 a pound or $25 a filet.   

Here is Judy with the salmon on the boat

judychumsalmon.thumb.jpg.a4de7c61ce6431e26ca6ca15aee42a61.jpg

Here is the box as received today

salmonbox.thumb.jpg.1c2717806f1e24b1d52b86785c7a2016.jpg

Box after opening

openbox.jpg.5830161526bb352d901a3ba30750d973.jpg

Seven Filets

7filets.jpg.c10de104eb1b664a479c257547af2b19.jpg

Close up of one filet

salmonfilet.thumb.jpg.293d54c1ed4c2234940233c56d08f68f.jpg

We are going to have some for dinner tonight!

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Nice healthy fillets.  Enjoy

My son did the same thing back in 2012 when he went Salmon fishing in Alaska and said it was as fresh and tasty as it was when he first caught others on the trip. He also said it was well worth the money.

• Thanks 1

Pete,

Could you do a compare and contrast between a Grand and a Legendary voyage?  I was on this year’s Grand Australia and am signed up for a Legendary (Ultimate Mediterranean) next year. I was just curious what you found to be the same and what was different. TIA!

And thank you for all of your great reports!  They are always so informative.