Disappointing tour in Reykjavik

Worst tour ever. We recently took a NCL cruise, in part to visit Reykjavik. We had done a lot of research and found a company called Prime Tours. There were many emails going back and forth, and we booked a 7 ½ hour tour of the Golden Circle. We agreed on a driver, who would also act as a tour guide, dinner at a typical Icelandic restaurant and a Mercedes-Sprinter van. We did get a very nice van.

In the hours that we spent in the van, we received a total of maybe 15 minutes of information about Reykjavik and the Golden Circle. When we arrived at each location, the driver spent 10-15 minutes telling us about each historical sites We had a very good driver. However, she had absolutely no background as a tour guide. After about 3 ½ hours she thought that the tour was over.

She had no idea that we were supposed to be going to an Icelandic restaurant for dinner. She called Auour, who I believe was one of the partners, and he said that the tour included dinner at a typical Icelandic restaurant. We wound up at a tomato hydroponic greenhouse. Everything on the menu consisted of tomatoes and there was no fish or any other typical Icelandic food.

We have been on over 25 cruises over the last 15 years. This was the most disappointing and worst tour that we have taken.

• Thanks 1

Sorry you had a bad experience!   Where did you find this company?  I hang out on the TripAdvisor Iceland forum -- we've been to Iceland 5 times (so far) and I don't recall that company ever being mentioned there.  I'd estimate that board is at least 5x as busy as this one, possibly more, so the info is current and useful.

The TA Iceland forum is a very strong one, with locals and other regular visitors recommending tour companies, rental cars, hotels, etc.  Definitely worth running something as important as this by the group over there.   Same with many other locations, you can't just trust websites and Facebook or whatever for recommendations.

Honestly, there are VERY few complaints about tour companies in Iceland.  You might want to repost your experience there to give folks a heads up.

I ate at the tomato farm on our last visit.  It's a hard reservation to get!   I'm also not a tomato fan, but I wasn't making all the choices.  I had the pasta, I don't mind tomato sauce, and the bread was SO good I enjoyed the meal overall

I did a search on the TA forum and the few posts mentioned that they are the private transfer contractor for Flybus, though their website does offer tours.  I suspect they are more of the driver and car type of service, and do not have a deep pool of true guides.

Sorry you had a bad experience.  For anyone else looking, please go over to TripAdvisor and ask questions.  I agree there is much more experience over there.