Old Canal Excursion from Colon

Let me know your thoughts on the excursion below. Doing NCL Bliss full transit next February.  This would be the day prior to crossing from Colon.  Bliss would be going through the new locks, and this sounds like it would be a chance to see the old locks.  Never been to Panama, never done the canal, may never do it again.  I'm thinking this allows me to see it both old and new.  But I would welcome any feedback from people who've been there and done that!

Panama Canal by Ferry

Experience the full wonder of crossing the Panama Canal by ferry boat on this daylong adventure. You’ll travel by ship's tender to the Gatun Yacht Club to board your transportation for the narrated drive through the isthmus to the small village of Gamboa. Here, you’ll board your ferry for your canal transit through two sets of locks. 

You’ll cross the Gaillard Cut and enter the Pedro Miguel Locks, which will lower your vessel 28 feet on its way to the Pacific. Your boat will settle on Miraflores Lake and then you’ll sail over to the Miraflores Locks. Enjoy a light lunch during your scenic cruise of the lake and locks. Your canal experience ends at the port of Balboa where you'll board your transportation back to the ship.

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

This sounds like an excursion for a partial transit...."you will travel by ship's tender to the Gatun Yacht Club". Not an excursion for a full transit. 

I get that, but I'm going to do a full transit the next day about the cruise ship.  This sounds like it might be an opportunity to see the old locks, and from a different perspective in a smaller vessel.  That was what had me curious. 

Is there a suggestion of a better way to experience the canal with a day to kill from Colon?

2 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I get that, but I'm going to do a full transit the next day about the cruise ship.  This sounds like it might be an opportunity to see the old locks, and from a different perspective in a smaller vessel.  That was what had me curious. 

Is there a suggestion of a better way to experience the canal with a day to kill from Colon?

My point is that they wouldn't offer this excursion on a full transit. They may offer a variant that transports you from Colon through some, or all of the old locks, or takes you by bus to the Gatun Yacht Club where you do the rest of the excursion as described.

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

My point is that they wouldn't offer this excursion on a full transit. They may offer a variant that transports you from Colon through some, or all of the old locks, or takes you by bus to the Gatun Yacht Club where you do the rest of the excursion as described.

I'm not sure what to tell you. It's listed by NCL as an excursion for the day we are in Colon, which is the day prior to Bliss doing the full transit.

Posted (edited)

Sounds like a cut and paste from a partial transit excursion list.  Chances are they will bus you to Gamboa where you get the ferry, and then bus back from Miraflores locks to Colon.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

1 minute ago, Essiesmom said:

Sounds like a cut and paste from a partial transit excursion list.  Chances are they will bus you to Gamboa where you get the ferry, and then bus back from Miraflores locks.  EM

Yep, that's what it sounds like to me too.  I guess what I'm asking from those who have been there before is does this sound like a worthwhile excursion from Colon to see the old locks, since our transit will be through the new locks?  I have no experience with this and was hoping someone might be able to give some feedback.

I think it would be worthwhile, you will see Gaillard Cut twice, once on your excursion and once on your transit, but I see that as a plus.  The original locks have much more visual interest such as the twin lanes as well as the "mules."   I also think that experiencing the locks from a smaller vessel drives home just how big of a structure the locks are.  The ride to the ferry and back to Colon can be of interest as well.