Oxygen onboard

My husband recently became an oxygen user.  He doesn't need it 100% of the time, but quite a bit during the day.  I am trying to gather as much info as possible before we attempt to fly or cruise. He has a POC (portable oxygen concentrator) 3 rechargeable batteries that are good for 4-6 hrs each.  I know there is a bunch of documentation we will need to fly &/or cruise. We have an 8 day booked for Dec 2024 on Carnival & a 27 day booked on Holland for Feb 2025.

*should we order oxygen tank(s) to have on the ship as back up?

*it might be helpful to others to know who to contact for each cruise line.  My TA has been helpful with this for us.

*it would also be helpful to know what documentation will be needed

* I know that POC & batteries cannot be put into checked bags, do the airlines consider this our 1 carry on?

* his POC does make a slight noise: any pointers for not annoying people when on a plane or in a show.  

* I probably will have many questions as we get closer to our cruises

Looking for suggestions from those with experience.  Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Banditswife said:

My husband recently became an oxygen user.  He doesn't need it 100% of the time, but quite a bit during the day.  I am trying to gather as much info as possible before we attempt to fly or cruise. He has a POC (portable oxygen concentrator) 3 rechargeable batteries that are good for 4-6 hrs each.  I know there is a bunch of documentation we will need to fly &/or cruise. We have an 8 day booked for Dec 2024 on Carnival & a 27 day booked on Holland for Feb 2025.

*it might be helpful to others to know who to contact for each cruise line.  My TA has been helpful with this for us.

* I know that POC & batteries cannot be put into checked bags, do the airlines consider this our 1 carry on?

* his POC does make a slight noise: any pointers for not annoying people when on a plane or in a show.  

3 hours ago, Banditswife said:

I have cruised with oxygen several times. First of all, the cruise lines do not allow oxygen tanks onboard but you need to let them know you will be bringing your POC. HAL has a medical desk and I believe there is a form to fill out.  I contact Scootaround (one of only two companies the cruise lines work with) and rent a full size concentrator to have in the room as I require oxygen at night.  I give them the details of the cruise and the machine is in our stateroom when we get on the ship.  They pick it up at the end of the cruise.

The only airline I have flown with is Air Canada.  They have a medical desk and an extensive form to have your doctor complete.  I don't think the American airlines have as many requirements because they have laws against discrimination on the basis of a disability.  There is a list of APPROVED concentrators that the airlines allow on their websites.  You must have enough battery power for 1-1/2 times the length of your flight.  Contact your airline's medical desk.  I pack my batteries and the charger in my carry on along with other things and it counts but the POC doesn't.  It is essential to bring an oxymeter and check your oxygen levels regularly while flying. I was tested at the hospital and told I wouldn't need oxygen when flying but I do need it at around 2 litres.  I have traveled with oxygen on HAL and Princess.  I found that most of the areas on the ships have plug ins so that I can recharge while I'm sitting but don't count on it.  It is also advisable to get a cruise ship approved power bar (make sure it does not have surge protection - I got mine on Amazon) because there aren't usually a lot of plug ins in the stateroom and you will be using one constantly to recharge batteries. 

Good luck and enjoy cruising. It really is the easiest way to travel when you are oxygen.

My husband also uses oxygen 24/7.  He has an Inogen POC for around the ship and rents a room concentrator for in the room.  We use Special Needs at Sea, and like Scootaround, they deliver to your room and pick it up on return.  I just reserved for our B2B2B for Nov/Dec, 32 days, and the cost was $474.  They require a letter from your doctor saying how much oxygen is needed ie: 3 liters during the day and 5 at night.  We've only flown Delta and they required a form and approval in advance and a checkin at their counter before flight. You might want to check with your cruise line for their requirements.  Happy Cruising!!!

17 hours ago, darstamp said:

First of all, the cruise lines do not allow oxygen tanks onboard but you need to let them know you will be bringing your POC.

My personal experience, on the crew side of cruising, is that cruise lines do allow oxygen tanks onboard, it just needs to be handled differently.

Different lines will handle it differently, but there will usually be a small colored round dot sticker placed next to your cabin door, to notify emergency teams that there is a source of near pure oxygen inside, in case of fire.

• Thanks 1

My husband doesn't use the oxygen at night & probably only 60% of his awake hours.  We tested his POC for how long his batteries will go w/o a charge & we were surprised that it lasted almost 6 hours.  He keeps his set at 2.  He has 3 of the same batteries, so I think we might be able to get by w/o a room concentrator.  But I will check into the companies suggested here.  And am checking with the special needs depts for each of the cruises we have booked, we usually fly Southwest & I have looked at their requirements.  It helps to be informed.

• Like 1

I will probably need to use oxygen for a 9 or 10 hour flight in November to Athens. 

I had issues last year with a long flight from Chile and the altitude  when we stayed a few days before the long flight caused me issues.  My doctor wants me to use oxygen for the next long flight.

I won't need to use it on the ship so I wonder what I will need to buy or rent for the plane trip?   Are we able to rent the items we need for a flight?   The cruise is 27 days and then the flight home will not be a long flight (only 4 hours) so I don't think I will need oxygen for that flight duration.

Any advice or information appreciated.

5 hours ago, mexico8 said:

I will probably need to use oxygen for a 9 or 10 hour flight in November to Athens. 

I had issues last year with a long flight from Chile and the altitude  when we stayed a few days before the long flight caused me issues.  My doctor wants me to use oxygen for the next long flight.

I won't need to use it on the ship so I wonder what I will need to buy or rent for the plane trip?   Are we able to rent the items we need for a flight?   The cruise is 27 days and then the flight home will not be a long flight (only 4 hours) so I don't think I will need oxygen for that flight duration.

Any advice or information appreciated.

Look at your airlines website to find out what brands of oxygen concentrator they accept. Have your doctor write a prescription for oxygen & recommend a local supplier. 

9 hours ago, cnd crsr said:

Look at your airlines website to find out what brands of oxygen concentrator they accept. Have your doctor write a prescription for oxygen & recommend a local supplier. 

Thanks for the info.   Appreciate it.