Star Princess news coverage

Mncadguy

Hello all,

We where on the latest star sailing, We are all fine. But my question is has anyone else noticed the lack of news coverage regarding the fire that was on board. We live in the midwest and hardly anyone has heard of the incident up here. We where told all that was broadcast was a 5 second blurb and that was it. I would love to heard what others are thinking.

Thanks in advance,

Mncadguy :confused:

I agree..the day it happened it was all over the news - local and national but then the next day nothing. Seems other new overshadowed it but to me was a major deal.

Glad you all made it home safely.

Welcome home, glad you arrived safely.

We also live in the midwest and most of our news channels, even the local ones, broadcast about the fire many times over the week end. The National News covered it quite extensively for what they know so far. I think most are waiting for reports to come in about what the cause actually might have been, without speculation, and how long it will take to repair the damage. Then I am sure you will here more, even in the midwest.

If you check the board here, there are even clips from reports on the news.

Maybe we should be glad that the news media hasn't focussed on this particular event as yet. If they decide to give it the sensationalized treatment they have given to other cruise related events of late, any resemblance between what actually happened and what they imply will make some of the speculation that has been on these boards pale by comparison.:)

If the news media is being criticized both for sensationalizing the story and for ignoring it, that means it's probably getting the right amount of coverage.

Nothing new has happened since Friday. There has still been no announcement of the likely cause.

I think Good Morning America is planning to do something on the story Monday morning. Tom.

Glad your home safely.

Breaking News--I heard about it first on these boards about 8:30 I believe. Then noticed alerts on my CCL stock dropping (amazing how wall street gets news) long before I heard anything on any news channel about it. I have a news reader on all the time & it took awhile for any news to come in on the wires.

News Coverage--It was covered by Dallas TV on the 6 & 10 broadcasts, it was coved by Fox, CNN, but MSNBC seemed to have more coverage. True the news coverage didn't seem to last more than 24 hours.

I have seen it on all the major news channels and there is already a lawyer trying to start a class action lawsuit. I think Princess did a great job and at this point of the investigation does not deserve a lawsuit.

Wouldn’t you know it? Based on some of the posts on the boards, it didn’t seem like it would be long before this happened.

In the relative scheme of things the fire on the Star is a non event. That explains why there is no coverage. If you are not a cruising person it really doesn't matter. The effect is the same as a fire in a building in New York. Usually you don't hear about it, and if you do it goes away really quickly.

But my question is has anyone else noticed the lack of news coverage regarding the fire that was on board. :confused:

I think it's because they haven't been able to figure out a way to blame Bush for it.:D

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

I'm so glad you're home and safe, it must have been very frightening.

I am in Iraq and it made EU news. Very short coverage however.

As far as the news goes here in Warner Robins we have seen very little, anything we know I got from these board's.

Gary are you the Gary & Cathy that spent some time here in W.R. last fall?:)

Larry & Charlotte

We had a full page in Friday's paper dedicated to the maritime accidents of the week. Between the bus accident, the Star fire, the BC ferry sinking, and there was a ferry in Europe that sank in those same days, it was a bad week for shipping.

My son who live in Miramar FL called me to tell me about the ship and I watched the news stations only to see a one-liner go by on the bottom of the screen and then a 30-second report from the newscaster an hour later. Our local paper had a short two paragraph article with a picture and that was it. Most of our news is coming from the Princess web site or this site. I would like to hear more about the damage myself.

I noticed the same thing. It has been hard to find a lot of coverage about it. One thing I noticed was the almost universal praise from passengers for the captain and crew (and I would have expected nothing less from Princess officers and crew!). Since the media interviewed passengers with these stories (and not stories of "the captain abandoned ship and left us, the crew was incompetent, etc."), I think they lost interest. The media is always happy to report screw-ups, not when people do their jobs well.

I noticed the same thing. It has been hard to find a lot of coverage about it. One thing I noticed was the almost universal praise from passengers for the captain and crew (and I would have expected nothing less from Princess officers and crew!). Since the media interviewed passengers with these stories (and not stories of "the captain abandoned ship and left us, the crew was incompetent, etc."), I think they lost interest. The media is always happy to report screw-ups, not when people do their jobs well.

I think that is it in a nutshell.

We were on the Grand, and heard about it the next day, when my massage therapist told me about it. It was reported on the global CNN that is on tv, but we kept missing it. After we heard about it, we did watch tv, and there was a small mention about it periodically.

Archived