Port of Seattle to require cruise ships to use shore power

clo

(I seriously doubt that this belongs here so feel free to move or even delete.)

"

• The Port of Seattle has become the first US port to require all visiting cruise ships to use shore power while docked. According to the port, using shore power can cut diesel emissions at berth by ~80%. During the 2023 season, cruise ships that used shore power were able to avoid emitting 2,700 metric tons of greenhouse emissions.

I'm an RVer.  I'd rather go to a campground that provides me an appropriate power hookup for my rig than to have to run my generator 4, 6, 8, even 10, hours a day to be comfortable and have the comforts of home at my disposal.  My rig is old and getting a solar setup isn't practical, but I'd rather plug in that run my generator.  If I'm dry camping someplace and need power, sure I'll run my generator, but I'd rather not have to.

When a ship is in port, it is always better to be able to hook up shore power to run the vessel while docked.  I would expect that the only reason that cruise lines or other ship operators might be against plugging in is because the cost of the power provided at port is more expensive than the cost of running their own generators.  I burn almost a gallon an hour generating my own power.  I can only imagine how much you burn for a large diesel generator.  And yet, it wouldn't surprise me if the port authority has made the price of shore power less competitive than running your own onboard generator.

On 6/13/2024 at 8:46 PM, Urban trekker said:

The Port of Vancouver has had this for a number of years.

Dennis

I'm not surprised. Love BC. Do you know if other Canadian ports do the same?

On 6/13/2024 at 11:46 PM, Urban trekker said:

The Port of Vancouver has had this for a number of years.

Dennis

52 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm not surprised. Love BC. Do you know if other Canadian ports do the same?

Vancouver has had shore power available at the Canada Place cruise terminal since 2009, but it isn't mandatory for ships to hook up to shore power and many don't due to the high cost and because not all...perhaps most ships sailing today don't have shore power hook ups. 

In contrast Seattle is mandating the use of shore power by homeported ships.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Philob said:

San Francisco has required this for a while also.

Required ?  While having shore power available for many years, AFAIK its use isn't mandatory in San Francisco. I can't find any confirmation that use of shore power is mandatory as it will be in Seattle.

Note the quote in the original post  which is taken from an official source, the Seattle port authority, that states Seattle will be the first US port to mandate use of shore power.

Edited by njhorseman

On 6/15/2024 at 6:19 PM, njhorseman said:

I'm pretty sure Montreal and Halifax offer shore power...perhaps Victoria too.

Halifax has had shore power for several years. I was told it was not available at all berths, though. The berth that the biggest ships use (Pier 22) has it but not the container terminal berths which are often used. That could have changed, of course, since I was last on a ship there.