Flying back from Viking cruise Basal-AMS-Detroit

Janie1229

Thank you all for your feedback and thoughtful responses. I called Viking again and this time spoke with Kelly, who was incredibly helpful - much more than Regina, who is unfortunately who I dealt with initially and i'm told has to "keep" our reservation. Makes me want to cancel and rebook with Kelly! 

Kelly explained the Viking Air to me in great detail and understood my confusion. I can pay the $799 or $2198 (for premium economy and she checked with the Air dept and this would be for Delta's premium plus class just below Delta One), and as soon as we pay our final deposit, at some point around 150 days prior (coming soon for our Dec 2024 trip), the schedules will be released. I will pay the $150 to choose my own schedule plus $100 for deviation and arrival the day prior in AMS - and this way I can still book the Delta nonstop flight I want out of Detroit to AMS on Dec 15th. 

So total amount of booking through Viking Air vs. booking on my own is $8 more with Viking but I get the ease of mind knowing if something happens to the flights (especially going to AMS) that Viking will handle for me. I was able to cancel the Delta flights I booked since I had 24hrs to cancel without penalty, which I did yesterday.

Now....I am wondering -- can I book for the $799 Viking Air and upgrade to premium plus on my own? Would this be cheaper? It's all so cryptic and secret and like I'm playing the childhood card game of Go Fish....

Posted (edited)

Also one last (I think...) question: Would you recommend flying back via AMS or CDG to Detroit? I saw Delta has an option to fly back from Basel with layover in CDG/Paris - would this be any easier than going through Amsterdam? THANK YOU!!

I do see a Delta flight leaving Basel at 10:50a, 3hr layover in CDG, and arrival in Detroit 6:40p. A bit later than I'd like but if CDG is that much easier than AMS? 

Edited by Janie1229

1 hour ago, Janie1229 said:

Thank you all for your feedback and thoughtful responses. I called Viking again and this time spoke with Kelly, who was incredibly helpful - much more than Regina, who is unfortunately who I dealt with initially and i'm told has to "keep" our reservation. Makes me want to cancel and rebook with Kelly! 

Kelly explained the Viking Air to me in great detail and understood my confusion. I can pay the $799 or $2198 (for premium economy and she checked with the Air dept and this would be for Delta's premium plus class just below Delta One), and as soon as we pay our final deposit, at some point around 150 days prior (coming soon for our Dec 2024 trip), the schedules will be released. I will pay the $150 to choose my own schedule plus $100 for deviation and arrival the day prior in AMS - and this way I can still book the Delta nonstop flight I want out of Detroit to AMS on Dec 15th. 

So total amount of booking through Viking Air vs. booking on my own is $8 more with Viking but I get the ease of mind knowing if something happens to the flights (especially going to AMS) that Viking will handle for me. I was able to cancel the Delta flights I booked since I had 24hrs to cancel without penalty, which I did yesterday.

Now....I am wondering -- can I book for the $799 Viking Air and upgrade to premium plus on my own? Would this be cheaper? It's all so cryptic and secret and like I'm playing the childhood card game of Go Fish....

Here is how Viking Air or Viking Air Plus works.  You have two options.

We generally go with option one:

Option 1:  We book most of our cruises with Viking at least one year out.  We start to research our flights at about the 300 days from departure point when most airlines have their schedules up.

We add Viking Air Plus when making the reservation (and deviation if we are doing that) and we call Viking Air Plus in the 270-300 days out from sailing.  Usually closer to the 270 days.

We give our first choice of flights that we have researched and generally get these but we also know from Toronto Canada who Viking has contracts with.

Flights are done and dusted and locked in - for the most part.

This does not mean that there are not schedule changes between booking and flying.  Sometimes there are multiple.  I have flights booked for next March and we have already had 4 or more slight schedule changes but nothing that impacts us to have to change.

Option 2:  Do not add Viking Air when you book, BUT if you know you are going to do a diversion make sure that this is reflected in the dates of your booking because then you are going to let Viking populate the fights for you.  Generally this happens about 180 days before departure.

Now you go onto MVJ and you have options to change flights, upgrade, etc.  You can do all this yourself without paying for Viking Air Plus.

IF you don't like the options there (including the upgrade and price upgrade options) then you can add Viking Air Plus at this point and be directed to Viking Air department and talk directly with them.

Advantage of Option One over Option Two:

For us, we have access to better schedules and airlines.  Waiting until Viking populate flights for us reduces - in my opinion - the options we have further out.

Regarding your final question can you upgrade cheaper on your own?

Sometimes, and sometimes not.  The $799 is a great price.  Often when we see this price and then $2198 for PE, we do our own price search and most often find that the price is in line with what we would pay on our own.

1 hour ago, Janie1229 said:

Also one last (I think...) question: Would you recommend flying back via AMS or CDG to Detroit? I saw Delta has an option to fly back from Basel with layover in CDG/Paris - would this be any easier than going through Amsterdam? THANK YOU!!

I do see a Delta flight leaving Basel at 10:50a, 3hr layover in CDG, and arrival in Detroit 6:40p. A bit later than I'd like but if CDG is that much easier than AMS? 

We have only done CDG once and most often through AMS so we know AMS better.

Personally I think that it is about the airline, the connection time, and time of the flights.  To me an airport is an airport and you just navigate what ever you are going through.  This might be overthinking the situation.

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We have only done CDG once and most often through AMS

On a recent river cruise I connected via CDG going out  and AMS return and I preferred AMS - but....

You know the flight numbers, find out which terminal they arrive in and depart from  (Google the flight numbers if you haven't been given terminal info). Then, using the maps on the airport websites you can judge how far apart they are.

AMS is large, but it'll be all one level moving from the arriving flight to the departing flight and it's just a matter of following the (clear) signs)

But, it's a 40m shorter flight from CDG to Detroit, and a slightly shorter flight from Basel to CDG. Other things being equal, that would make CDG the favourite with me.

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Here is how Viking Air or Viking Air Plus works.  You have two options.

We generally go with option one:

Option 1:  We book most of our cruises with Viking at least one year out.  We start to research our flights at about the 300 days from departure point when most airlines have their schedules up.

We add Viking Air Plus when making the reservation (and deviation if we are doing that) and we call Viking Air Plus in the 270-300 days out from sailing.  Usually closer to the 270 days.

We give our first choice of flights that we have researched and generally get these but we also know from Toronto Canada who Viking has contracts with.

Flights are done and dusted and locked in - for the most part.

This does not mean that there are not schedule changes between booking and flying.  Sometimes there are multiple.  I have flights booked for next March and we have already had 4 or more slight schedule changes but nothing that impacts us to have to change.

Option 2:  Do not add Viking Air when you book, BUT if you know you are going to do a diversion make sure that this is reflected in the dates of your booking because then you are going to let Viking populate the fights for you.  Generally this happens about 180 days before departure.

Now you go onto MVJ and you have options to change flights, upgrade, etc.  You can do all this yourself without paying for Viking Air Plus.

IF you don't like the options there (including the upgrade and price upgrade options) then you can add Viking Air Plus at this point and be directed to Viking Air department and talk directly with them.

Advantage of Option One over Option Two:

For us, we have access to better schedules and airlines.  Waiting until Viking populate flights for us reduces - in my opinion - the options we have further out.

Regarding your final question can you upgrade cheaper on your own?

Sometimes, and sometimes not.  The $799 is a great price.  Often when we see this price and then $2198 for PE, we do our own price search and most often find that the price is in line with what we would pay on our own.

I don't know the last time you booked with Viking? But I was told the fights are not available until about 150 days out. I wish it was further out as you stated. I am going to pay the balance tomorrow or Thurs and see if I can get air sooner than later. It really annoys me they are not more specific.

1 minute ago, Janie1229 said:

I don't know the last time you booked with Viking? But I was told the fights are not available until about 150 days out. I wish it was further out as you stated. I am going to pay the balance tomorrow or Thurs and see if I can get air sooner than later. It really annoys me they are not more specific.

I have booked air for 10+ Viking cruises and have booked them all 270-300 days out.

You must talk to Viking Air Plus, not the general reservations department.

We just booked flights 270 days out a couple weeks ago.

What this reservations agent is telling you is that if you have NOT ALREADY paid for Viking Air, then the flights will not be populated in your MVJ until 150 days out.

Flights are available to book up to 300+ days out but you must be paying for and dealing with Viking Air.

This is not my first time doing this.

12 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I have booked air for 10+ Viking cruises and have booked them all 270-300 days out.

You must talk to Viking Air Plus, not the general reservations department.

We just booked flights 270 days out a couple weeks ago.

What this reservations agent is telling you is that if you have NOT ALREADY paid for Viking Air, then the flights will not be populated in your MVJ until 150 days out.

Flights are available to book up to 300+ days out but you must be paying for and dealing with Viking Air.

This is not my first time doing this.

Thank you very much. I am NOT happy with the Viking agent and am tempted to call and ask for a manager or someone to switch me over to someone else. I feel as though the Viking person I am working with is being very coy and not helpful. I called yesterday and left her a message and she never called me back, even to leave me voicemail that she would get back to me today if she was too busy to talk at length. Maybe I'm expecting too much. But this is a lot of money for me and my sister. 

2 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

Thank you very much. I am NOT happy with the Viking agent and am tempted to call and ask for a manager or someone to switch me over to someone else. I feel as though the Viking person I am working with is being very coy and not helpful. I called yesterday and left her a message and she never called me back, even to leave me voicemail that she would get back to me today if she was too busy to talk at length. Maybe I'm expecting too much. But this is a lot of money for me and my sister. 

Are you calling Viking Air + or are you calling reservations?

These are two distinctly different departments.  Viking Reservations really don't know about the flights and vice versa.  

Viking Air Plus have a different phone number than reservations.

Don't be afraid to ask for a Supervisor.  

Also, if you don't get the answer you want from one person close the call and call back.

If this one person is not calling you back, call and ask for a Supervisor.  

12 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Are you calling Viking Air + or are you calling reservations?

These are two distinctly different departments.  Viking Reservations really don't know about the flights and vice versa.  

Viking Air Plus have a different phone number than reservations.

Don't be afraid to ask for a Supervisor.  

Also, if you don't get the answer you want from one person close the call and call back.

If this one person is not calling you back, call and ask for a Supervisor.  

Thank you. I am thinking of calling today and asking for a supervisor and requesting that my reservation be changed to a different person. I spoke with Kelly the other day who was very helpful and in general seemed much nicer/patient. She said b/c I already had the reservation started with someone else I could not switch. You know what? That's a lot of money to be told I have to continue working with someone who is not being responsive or is impatient with me. 

I was told that I cannot speak to Viking Air until I pay my trip in full. Well how do I know that I want the air portion with Viking if I can't get more details until AFTER I pay for it? i'm becoming more and more frustrated and honestly almost want to cancel and look at Avalon or something else. It's a lot - my sister is not good at research etc. or doing anything for a trip, so it is all falling on me to do the planning.

6 minutes ago, Janie1229 said:

Thank you. I am thinking of calling today and asking for a supervisor and requesting that my reservation be changed to a different person. I spoke with Kelly the other day who was very helpful and in general seemed much nicer/patient. She said b/c I already had the reservation started with someone else I could not switch. You know what? That's a lot of money to be told I have to continue working with someone who is not being responsive or is impatient with me. 

I was told that I cannot speak to Viking Air until I pay my trip in full. Well how do I know that I want the air portion with Viking if I can't get more details until AFTER I pay for it? i'm becoming more and more frustrated and honestly almost want to cancel and look at Avalon or something else. It's a lot - my sister is not good at research etc. or doing anything for a trip, so it is all falling on me to do the planning.

You are being led around in circles.

First, you CAN ADD Viking Air NOW but you have to pay for it on a credit card on the call.  Viking Air will not talk to you unless you pay for their service.  (They used to just allow you to have it added to your invoice, but now the payment must be processed to use them.)

Call Viking Air Plus directly.  This is the number that I have for Canada - and it calls to the US office.  You may have to find a different number.  1-877-523-0580. This is a different number than for reservations.

Make sure it is Viking Air Plus when they answer.  Give them your booking number and tell them you want to purchase Viking Air and work with them for your flights.  Like I said, you will have to pay the $100pp or $150pp - whichever it is for your trip.

Have the flight schedules ready to give them that you want.  

I also think that it BS that you are being told that you have to work with the same agent.  We have never done that.  We have booked directly with Viking with one person, then called in to another and another... never been told this.

Note that there can be up-charges if you want flights that are outside of their contract rates.

7 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

First, you CAN ADD Viking Air NOW but you have to pay for it on a credit card on the call.  Viking Air will not talk to you unless you pay for their service.  (They used to just allow you to have it added to your invoice, but now the payment must be processed to use them.)

Call Viking Air Plus directly.  This is the number that I have for Canada - and it calls to the US office.  You may have to find a different number.  1-877-523-0580. This is a different number than for reservations.

Make sure it is Viking Air Plus when they answer.  Give them your booking number and tell them you want to purchase Viking Air and work with them for your flights.  Like I said, you will have to pay the $100pp or $150pp - whichever it is for your trip.

I also think that it BS that you are being told that you have to work with the same agent.  We have never done that.  We have booked directly with Viking with one person, then called in to another and another... never been told this.

Note that there can be up-charges if you want flights that are outside of their contract rates.

Wow thank you so very much. I am going to call that number and if not correct number I'll find it and call today.  

The person I spoke with yesterday said it would be $2198 to purchase premium plus $150 to see specific flights I want (I want Delta out of Detroit nonstop to AMS at 4:15p on 12/16!!) and another $100 for flight deviation (I want to fly in to AMS one day early). So the total cost I think is $2448 and right now looking at Delta's website for premium plus it is $2445 so almost the same cost, but I would have Viking assistance if a flight was delayed/cancelled. I guess the biggest negative is I would not get the miles on my Delta account. 

The base price for air is $799 but I want to ensure I get the premium plus on Delta. That's another question in my mind - can I pay the $799 and upgrade to premium plus on Delta's website or would that be more $$. 

54 minutes ago, Janie1229 said:

Wow thank you so very much. I am going to call that number and if not correct number I'll find it and call today.  

The person I spoke with yesterday said it would be $2198 to purchase premium plus $150 to see specific flights I want (I want Delta out of Detroit nonstop to AMS at 4:15p on 12/16!!) and another $100 for flight deviation (I want to fly in to AMS one day early). So the total cost I think is $2448 and right now looking at Delta's website for premium plus it is $2445 so almost the same cost, but I would have Viking assistance if a flight was delayed/cancelled. I guess the biggest negative is I would not get the miles on my Delta account. 

52 minutes ago, Janie1229 said:

The base price for air is $799 but I want to ensure I get the premium plus on Delta. That's another question in my mind - can I pay the $799 and upgrade to premium plus on Delta's website or would that be more $$. 

Call Air Plus.  If you are seeing essentially the same price on Delta, then you are good.

Deal with Air Plus.  They should not make you pay for the flights today, but they will ask for Air Plus and Deviation fees to be paid to use their service.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Like 2

@Janie1229, why won't you get Delta points? When I've booked cruise air on American and United, the flights showed up in my online account. Does Delta prohibit it?

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Call Air Plus.  If you are seeing essentially the same price on Delta, then you are good.

Deal with Air Plus.  They should not make you pay for the flights today, but they will ask for Air Plus and Deviation fees to be paid to use their service.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Okay I just called and spoke with someone in the Viking Air dept. This is crazy. So if we want to book a specific flight on DELTA nonstop out of Amsterdam, we are having to pay $250 extra for air plus, $100 extra for air "deviation" and another $554 for wanting a flight outside the "contract" with Viking. So with Viking the flights are going to be over $3000pp vs. booking directly with Delta at $2500pp. CRAZY!!!!

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Janie1229 said:

Okay I just called and spoke with someone in the Viking Air dept. This is crazy. So if we want to book a specific flight on DELTA nonstop out of Amsterdam, we are having to pay $250 extra for air plus, $100 extra for air "deviation" and another $554 for wanting a flight outside the "contract" with Viking. So with Viking the flights are going to be over $3000pp vs. booking directly with Delta at $2500pp. CRAZY!!!!

I have said before, that not all flights that you want fit into the pricing of the air contract that Viking has.  

Sometimes there are up-charges if a flight schedule does not fit in their contract.

If cheaper to do it on your own, then that is the way to do it but there are considerations doing it this way too.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roz said:

@Janie1229, why won't you get Delta points? When I've booked cruise air on American and United, the flights showed up in my online account. Does Delta prohibit it?

Looks like I'm going to be booking directly on Delta anyway with all the extra charges Viking is assigning. Ridiculous. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

1 minute ago, CDNPolar said:

I have said before, that not all flights that you want fit into the pricing of the 

Nope and the flights I want sure don't!! Darn it....

7 minutes ago, Janie1229 said:

Sometimes $500 more per person if peace of mind and not having to do it on your own.

We have paid up-charges, and we have also booked on our own.

For our next cruise, our flights home (open jaw) we could have saved $500 per person, but then we would have to arrange our transportation, etc., so we just went with Viking

2 minutes ago, Janie1229 said:

Looks like I'm going to be booking directly on Delta anyway with all the extra charges Viking is assigning. Ridiculous. 

Make sure that you cancel the Air on your invoice if you book yourself, OR, you will be assigned air and then charged for it.

You MUST remove all air from your invoice if you book yourself.

2 minutes ago, Janie1229 said:

Nope and the flights I want sure don't!! Darn it....

Cheap flights through Viking are generally not direct non-stop, especially for Americans because of your hub system.  For us in Toronto, we most often have direct flights.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Make sure that you cancel the Air on your invoice if you book yourself, OR, you will be assigned air and then charged for it.

You MUST remove all air from your invoice if you book yourself.

Yes I will do that. Honestly at this time I don't know what is on my invoice. I had the Viking Air, and then I canceled it. Not sure if it was put back on. I called my Viking rep yesterday and had to leave a message and have not heard back. I just called her again and left another message. I will wait until tomorrow and if I don't hear from her, I will call and ask for a supervisor to be switched to another rep. 

I understand they can get very busy, but a quick call to say she got my message and would get back to me as soon as possible would be nice. 

Maybe I am expecting too much! Yes I understand with the air through Viking you have their assistance should issues arise - and I have to balance that with...if I book myself non-stop, that is less chance of an issue, and that's also what trip insurance is for. I go back and forth with the whole air situation lol. 

3 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

Yes I will do that. Honestly at this time I don't know what is on my invoice. I had the Viking Air, and then I canceled it. Not sure if it was put back on. I called my Viking rep yesterday and had to leave a message and have not heard back. I just called her again and left another message. I will wait until tomorrow and if I don't hear from her, I will call and ask for a supervisor to be switched to another rep. 

I understand they can get very busy, but a quick call to say she got my message and would get back to me as soon as possible would be nice. 

Maybe I am expecting too much! Yes I understand with the air through Viking you have their assistance should issues arise - and I have to balance that with...if I book myself non-stop, that is less chance of an issue, and that's also what trip insurance is for. I go back and forth with the whole air situation lol. 

You want to ensure that there is no "Air Fare" listed on the invoice.

If you have air listed, Viking will choose flights for you regardless of whether you have chosen Viking Air.  

If you are booking on your own then make sure that Air does not have a line/price on your invoice.

Screenshot2024-06-19at3_28_47PM.thumb.png.e7990f064e2c13f770f257385d710cb8.png

• Like 1