S.S. United States, Once Owned By NCL, Evicted From Her Berth In Philadelphia

She had her best chance with NCL...and then later with Crystal Cruises.  Unfortunately, I don't see anyone on the horizon coming to rescue her.  The costs of restoration are too great and there's no guarantee she could ever turn a profit no matter what her end use might be.

I think she's destined for the scrapyards.

Garnett

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N7786W Flyer said:

She had her best chance with NCL...and then later with Crystal Cruises.  Unfortunately, I don't see anyone on the horizon coming to rescue her.  The costs of restoration are too great and there's no guarantee she could ever turn a profit no matter what her end use might be.

I think she's destined for the scrapyard.

Built in the early 1950s, steam powered and designed to run at 35 knots, interior spaces laid out to 1950s era standards, little to no room for possible addition of modern conveniences - yes, most likely headed for the scrap heap.

It's been berthed in South Philly for decades now.  While people argue the historic significance, nobody has an argument as to how it can still be relevant.  There have been all sorts of wild plans over the years but nothing that has gained traction (or, more importantly, funding.)  I'm afraid there's no obvious business model for a rusting ship, 60 years past her prime, let alone sufficient funds to rehabilitate.

On 6/16/2024 at 12:59 PM, N7786W Flyer said:

She had her best chance with NCL...and then later with Crystal Cruises.

There was a very minimal chance of her restoration under NCL, since no serious feasibility studies were done, which is what kept the idea alive, but under Crystal, there was no hope whatsoever, after the feasibility study showed the vast amount of cost needed to bring the ship up to SOLAS standards, let alone completely build the interior.

The historical significance of the SSUS is her power plant, which has not moved in over 40 years, and therefore is not likely to be usable, even if efficiency is discounted.  When NCL tried to restore her in the early 2000's, a lawsuit brought by the Conservancy required that the power plant be retained, due to its historical significance, which doomed any restoration.  

To be honest, the hopes for any potential use of the SSUS, even as a static museum or hotel/convention center, died when she was towed to Turkey and gutted, back in the 1990's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I see an artificial reef coming .... and soon ..... and should have happened YEARS ago .... anyone who contributed $ to 'preserve' this was some one I'll offer deed to the golden gate bridge.

Edited by Capt_BJ