Day Trip from Livorno: Lucca or San Gimignano?

MoxieMomm

We have a stop in Livorno in early November and are looking at excursions to either Lucca or San Gimignano. It is just a 6 hour type thing.  Each excursion has some free time to wander the city then visit a winery for a tasting.  I don't have a lot of perspective on either area so any advice is welcome. Things to see? Areas of town to focus on? Which would you recommend and why?

That is a tough choice and one without a clear winner.  We have stayed in that part of Italy, a few times, and enjoy both towns.  Things to see?  They are both old towns and one can wander either place, enjoy the old walls, old buildings, cafes, etc.  In Lucca, you can ride a bike or walk around the walls.  In San Gimignano you can admire the old walls, buildings, shops, and old Towers (part of Tea with Mussolini was filmed in San Gimignano).  

I should add that Lucca is quite easy to do on your own, as you can take the train from Livorno to Lucca (change at Pisa).    As to areas of the town, in either place you will just about see it all (assuming you are mobile).  Both towns are popular tourist places (we often go to both when we have a rental car and stay in the region).  Some tours to San Gimignano might be coupled with a brief visit to another town and San Gimignano is also possible to couple with a visit to some of the Chianti area (and wineries).  When DW and I drive to San Gimignano (we have actually stayed in that area) we sometimes visit the small village of Colle val Elas.  Another good pairing with San Gimignano is to also go to Volterra, but I have no clue to what they do on excursions since we do our own thing in most parts of Italy.  

By the way, If I were organizing a small group tour to San Gimignano, I think a stop in Volterra would be ideal.  If taking a small group to Lucca, I would also toss in a short stop in Pisa (at the Field of Miracles).  

Hank

10 hours ago, MoxieMomm said:

It is just a 6 hour type thing.

That is a short time for a Livorno port day.

Because of this, I would recommend you go with the Lucca option as it is much closer and you will have time to enjoy this pretty town.

And as pointed out above, no tour is actually needed as it is an easy enough DIY from Livorno, and a popular one with cruise pax who explore independently.  Can be done as a "standalone" or with careful planning for the short time you have, combined with a  brief stop in Pisa for a photo op with the Tower.

If you have not already searched for and read past threads, reading some could be helpful. Choose from these

Lucca

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=lucca&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464

San Gimignano

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q="San Gimignano"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

We had a stop at the port of Livorno a few years ago.   We rented a car and drove out to Pisa first thing.   Had tickets to climb to the top of the tower and then wandered around a little bit, taking pictures.  Then drove to Tenuta Torciano winery in San Gimignano.  Wonderful drive along the country roads.  The lunch/wine tasting at the winery was the highlight of our trip.   They served a delicious meal (accommodated vegetarians) along with 10 different wines I think.  Absolutely gorgeous setting, great meal and service.   We then drove back to Livorno and dropped off the car (only glitch was when we briefly got lost on our way back!).   A great day, wonderful memories!

Posted (edited)

We had a magical day April 23, 2023 for our port stop in Livorno from the Norwegian Star.  Six of us booked a private excursion with Driverinrome for excursion to be divided between time in Florence and San Gimignano.  Vehicle was very nice, driver was great and both locations and the drive between them were wonderful.   Here is copy and paste of email from from Erica:

Thank you for reaching out to Driverinrome!
This is Erika assisting you today.
We are available on April 23 and would be very happy to organize your tour!
To clarify your doubts, here's how your shore excursion would be executed:
8:00 AM pick-up from Livorno port
A little before 10.00 AM you will arrive in Florence You will spend approximately 3 hours in Florence
1:00 PM you will leave Florence
2:00 PM approximately you will arrive in San Gimignano and will have about 1.5 hours to spend in town
3.30 PM you will depart from San Gimignano going back to the ship
5:00 PM is the expected drop off time at the port
Please keep in mind that this is only a tentative time table and it will depend on the local traffic conditions.
If you wish to spend more time in San Gimginano, then you will have to reduce your time in Florence.
But just to give you an idea on the driving time from the port is about 1.5 hour and same duration on the way back.
For 4 or 6 people, we will send a minivan.
I hope I could answer your questions but if you have more to ask, feel free to email us anytime.

Edited by kjquilts

Considering you are speaking of a ship´s excursion: Lucca is closer but much larger than San Gimignano. San Gimignano might be a bit more impressive because of the many towers. And my absolute must is Gelateria di Piazza by Sergio Dondoli in San Gimignano.

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2024 at 5:01 PM, MoxieMomm said:

We have a stop in Livorno in early November and are looking at excursions to either Lucca or San Gimignano. It is just a 6 hour type thing.  Each excursion has some free time to wander the city then visit a winery for a tasting.  I don't have a lot of perspective on either area so any advice is welcome. Things to see? Areas of town to focus on? Which would you recommend and why?

If it's a six hour trip, start to finish, then when you factor in travel times, you will have more time in Lucca.  Lucca is flat and larger.  San Gimi is more cute with narrow medieval streets.  In both you can climb a medieval tower and get a great view.  If you are a candidate for a knee replacement, forget it.  As mentioned above, I'm inclined to recommend 'do it yourself' to Lucca.  The train station at Lucca is a very short walk outside the wall.  Rent a bike, ride around the wall. Check out Duomo di San Martino, Piazza dell'Anfiteatro, Guinigi Tower and, of course, the wall, on bike or foot.  Also bear in mind, it is Puccini town.

1535898A-978C-4A27-BED8-84CEE65B968F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.5688e6e12e7576f14cae7de892b00dae.jpeg

• Like 1