Picking up from Southampton

AnneEllis

Hello everyone,

I apologise if this isn't the right place to ask, but I have family coming over on the QM2, arriving into Southampton at the QEII terminal and want to surprise them by driving down from London to pick them up. I see there is some short stay parking available at that terminal but I am wondering if anyone knows how early you are allowed to get there, so I can be ready and waiting - I see from a lot of posts you can self-disembark quite early so I don't want to miss them! Thank you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, AnneEllis said:

Hello everyone,

I apologise if this isn't the right place to ask, but I have family coming over on the QM2, arriving into Southampton at the QEII terminal and want to surprise them by driving down from London to pick them up. I see there is some short stay parking available at that terminal but I am wondering if anyone knows how early you are allowed to get there, so I can be ready and waiting - I see from a lot of posts you can self-disembark quite early so I don't want to miss them! Thank you.

Honestly, I wouldn’t totally surprise them. Given the chaos that often appertains on disembarkation, it would be easy to miss each other. Also they may have booked trains or transfers. Give them they joy of anticipation, and knowing you’ll be there.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, AnneEllis said:

Hello everyone,

According to Cunard disembarkation starts at 7:30 (I thought it was 7:00 in NYC?) and lasts until 10:00. They could be at any time in that window as self disembarking is open to all but if they are not doing that and don't have priority they could be as late as 10:00

• Like 1

Disembarkation times can be wildly off. Even when they have to let the Border Force onboard first, and carefully structured letters go out saying go to see Border Force at time x, that time is subject to change, and substantially so, and in both directions. I had a 07:00 hrs time for self disembarkation a few weeks ago, and on the face of it that would mean somewhat later since the Border Force wouldn't start passport checks until that time, but in reality I got to Southampton Airport well before 07:00 hrs.

• Like 1

You can also ask on the British Isles board here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/

I agree with the other posters, a surprise is too risky.

What date are they arriving? It's always worth checking her actual ETA the day before, she was 4 hours late into New York this week. 

• Like 1