AMS to JFK is a 2 hr layover enough time to make next flight?

Posted (edited)

Our flights booked on Delta for August 31 have just changed. We are flying from AMS arriving at 7:10 pm to JFK on KLM.  Our flight to BWI departs at 9:10 on Endeavor Air DBA Delta connection.  Will we have enough time to collect our bags and get through customs and immigration? If we do not check bags would we save a considerable amount of time?

Edited by 0106

• 0106 changed the title to AMS to JFK is a 2 hr layover enough time to make next flight?

Usually, it's getting off the plane and clearing immigration and then reclearing security and getting to your next gate that takes the most time.  Picking up checked bags and dropping them on the transfer belt is fast.

Do you have Global Entry?  If not, put Mobile Passport Control on your phone.  That will speed up clearing immigration.  

It's a legal connection. As far as I can see, the published Minimum Connection Time is 1:40. If you had a connection at exactly that, the airline would expect that most passengers would make it most of the time. You actually have 20 minutes more than that, so a little bit of margin.

But there's no single answer to the question you ask. Published schedules are aspirational, and you never know how things will turn out on the day. So, for example, if your AMS-JFK flight picks up a 90-minute delay (which is pretty trivial), you won't make it (whether or not you have checked bags), and you'll be overnighting at JFK, albeit at KLM's expense.

• Thanks 1

We flew Edinburgh to  Charles DeGaulle to Salt Lake City to Sacramento in April.  About 2 hrs at Charles De Gaulle and took us over an hour to get gate to gate.  Then plane left an hour late putting us into Salt Lake an hour late of about 2 hour layover.  Delta said they would let connecting flights know we had landed.  Didn't matter. Marathon run through Customs and another Security only to arrive as they had closed the doors.  Compensation to have to sit around the airport for 7 hours before our almost midnight flight to Sacramento was a food voucher which wasn't enough to cover 2 meals.  There could be times when 2 hours is enough IF ALL goes well.  It's a gamble. From now on I think it has to be 3 hours minimum for us.  Good Luck! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

We flew Edinburgh to  Charles DeGaulle to Salt Lake City to Sacramento in April.  About 2 hrs at Charles De Gaulle and took us over an hour to get gate to gate.  Then plane left an hour late putting us into Salt Lake an hour late of about 2 hour layover.  Delta said they would let connecting flights know we had landed.  Didn't matter. Marathon run through Customs and another Security only to arrive as they had closed the doors.  Compensation to have to sit around the airport for 7 hours before our almost midnight flight to Sacramento was a food voucher which wasn't enough to cover 2 meals.  There could be times when 2 hours is enough IF ALL goes well.  It's a gamble. From now on I think it has to be 3 hours minimum for us.  Good Luck! 

Was that series of flights all on one "coupon"? 

If so (or even if only the CDF-SMF via SLC part was) you were on a flight out of Europe with a delay that entitles you to significant financial compensation.  Here's the link for the EU, but I believe the same rules apply for flights originating in the UK. https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/faq/index_en.htm#:~:text=Do I have any rights if miss a connecting flight,are entitled to financial compensation.

7 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

Was that series of flights all on one "coupon"? 

If so (or even if only the CDF-SMF via SLC part was) you were on a flight out of Europe with a delay that entitles you to significant financial compensation.  Here's the link for the EU, but I believe the same rules apply for flights originating in the UK. https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/faq/index_en.htm#:~:text=Do I have any rights if miss a connecting flight,are entitled to financial compensation.

Yes it was. Probably too late but I’ll check into it. Thanks. What really made me mad was I’m pretty sure the delay out of Paris was waiting for delayed passengers and yet wasn’t paid forward to us and others after 11 hour flight. 

15 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Probably too late but I’ll check into it.

In the UK, you have six years to make a claim. I don't know the French time limit, but I doubt that it would already have expired.

16 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

What really made me mad was I’m pretty sure the delay out of Paris was waiting for delayed passengers and yet wasn’t paid forward to us and others after 11 hour flight. 

What can be done for flight 1 without wrecking that day's operations really has no bearing on whether the same can be done for flight 2 without wrecking that day's operations. So there's really no point being mad about it. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

In the UK, you have six years to make a claim. I don't know the French time limit, but I doubt that it would already have expired.

What can be done for flight 1 without wrecking that day's operations really has no bearing on whether the same can be done for flight 2 without wrecking that day's operations. So there's really no point being mad about it. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

That’s pretty much what we were told. Of course being mad does no good and we certainly accepted with a deep sigh like civilized adults but still, who wouldn’t find it frustrating at least. Well, as I said going forward we will be sure our layovers are longer and just hope it’s enough.