QM2 late Sept crossing weather

DRS/NC

Yes, I know that predicting the weather, esp in the north Atlantic, is "iffy" at best, but I need guidelines.

It's my first Cunard crossing.  I like to spend a good bit of time on deck, just reading & watching the sea. 

As a guideline: will I need my fleece jacket or my Irish wool sweater?

Yes, I live in NC now, but I lived in Ohio & Wisconsin for 30+ years so i do know cool/cold.

THANKS

If the weather is truly awful and steamer chairs are out of the question, we like to lounge by the Pavillion Pool up on deck 12, comfortable loungers and it's very bright with the added bonus of a bar and the house band for a bit of pre lunch music.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

Yes, I know that predicting the weather, esp in the north Atlantic, is "iffy" at best, but I need guidelines.

It's my first Cunard crossing.  I like to spend a good bit of time on deck, just reading & watching the sea. 

Yes, I live in NC now, but I lived in Ohio & Wisconsin for 30+ years so i do know cool/cold.

THANKS

We went East > West in mid October. Was pretty cold on the windy (starboard) side of the deck but at times we were basking on our port side balcony in pretty warm sunshine.  We did take a more northerly route than normal (it was actually the great circle route) as there was a storm to the south. The crossing is normally further south (and longer) as it's warmer.

In summary - you need to cover all eventualities! image.png.6d4b869ce4183a0b2d8469a18f5292f1.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

We have crossed in mid September and found it quite comfortable, however i would strongly recommend a hooded sweatshirt (not sure what that translates to across the Pond but since you are from the US I'll speak American). It's not so much the temperature as it is a combination of the wind, sunshine and temperature. If it's 65F, an apparent wind speed of 40knts and overcast, you are going to want that hoodie. If it's 63F, 20knts wind and sunny, the fleece will be perfect. If you only have room for 1, go with the hooded sweatshirt.Also there are some strategic deck chair locations that can mitigate the wind and maximize the sun. Probably the best location is the half dozen or so deck chairs at the very end of the Promenade deck, just astern of the canistered life rafts with no lifeboats overhead. 

Jack

72BEF2E8-1F01-4582-B64F-4A91F84B59FC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.d41314456b83d447a8420725d2fc103a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1