Cancelling under the "Cancel For Any Reason" Policy - Travel Insured

Thinking of cancelling my r/t sailing out of Orlando on Allure of the Seas for 6/24-28 (1 week from today) to Nassau, Bahamas, CocoCay, a Day at Sea. 
I was SO excited to go and be back on the Allure, but quite honestly at this point it looks like it's going to rain pretty significantly the whole time. I was going for sun and sand in a balcony room. 5 days on a ship in mostly the rain sounds like no fun to me. I was on the Allure for a week last August and it was a PERFECT cruise....but I don't really want to just be on the ship watching shows, looking out at clouds and being wet and cold. Even if we could pool in the solarium. It's too much to spend for that kind of trip. I'm still watching the weather, as I know anything outside the 7 day forecast isn't really reliable, but right now it does not look promising. If it was 50/50 weather or maybe even 60 rain/40 not I would probably still go. I NEVER book cancel for any reason insurance but I did this time....coincidence??? I haven't read the fine print yet but ALL my flights (Southwest), hotels and excursions are 100% refundable until at least Saturday. I believe with the cruise under the policy I would get back 75%. I'm guessing I would forfeit the insurance fee if I made the claim and when I re-book for another time would have to add insurance. So probably a loss for the two of us (cruise was about $2000) of around $650? At a minimum would cancel the expensive day pass to Atlantis ($500) and the adults only place on CocoCay ($250) and either stay onboard or do something free at port. Have you been on a VERY rainy cruise? Have you cashed in your Cancel For Any Reason Insurance? Would love some advice. In more than 10 cruises have never had this issue. TIA. 

7 minutes ago, wsantelope said:

Thinking of cancelling my r/t sailing out of Orlando on Allure of the Seas for 6/24-28 (1 week from today) to Nassau, Bahamas, CocoCay, a Day at Sea. 
I was SO excited to go and be back on the Allure, but quite honestly at this point it looks like it's going to rain pretty significantly the whole time. I was going for sun and sand in a balcony room. 5 days on a ship in mostly the rain sounds like no fun to me. I was on the Allure for a week last August and it was a PERFECT cruise....but I don't really want to just be on the ship watching shows, looking out at clouds and being wet and cold. Even if we could pool in the solarium. It's too much to spend for that kind of trip. I'm still watching the weather, as I know anything outside the 7 day forecast isn't really reliable, but right now it does not look promising. If it was 50/50 weather or maybe even 60 rain/40 not I would probably still go. I NEVER book cancel for any reason insurance but I did this time....coincidence??? I haven't read the fine print yet but ALL my flights (Southwest), hotels and excursions are 100% refundable until at least Saturday. I believe with the cruise under the policy I would get back 75%. I'm guessing I would forfeit the insurance fee if I made the claim and when I re-book for another time would have to add insurance. So probably a loss for the two of us (cruise was about $2000) of around $650? At a minimum would cancel the expensive day pass to Atlantis ($500) and the adults only place on CocoCay ($250) and either stay onboard or do something free at port. Have you been on a VERY rainy cruise? Have you cashed in your Cancel For Any Reason Insurance? Would love some advice. In more than 10 cruises have never had this issue. TIA. 

While we've had several claims with TI, none included the CFAR (which we would get for that SWAN effect: Sleep Well At Night).

However, do check the deadlines for filing a CFAR claim.

IIRC (and our policies may differ from yours so double check YOUR policy!), one needed to cancel at least 48 hours before the departure time/date (and "time" vs "date" could make a difference).

Good luck!

GC

2 hours ago, wsantelope said:

Have you cashed in your Cancel For Any Reason Insurance?

Yes I cancelled one day before sailing with HAL's standard CFAR. It was a 35-day cruise so between the cost of the insurance and the 20% not repaid, it cost us about $5,000 to cancel (but the reason would not have been valid for credit card coverage). All excursions, taxes&fees, and even a flower arrangement that I had pre-paid, were refunded within a working week.

• Like 1

This type of thing is what I refer to as a hedge with insurance.

You calculate what you will lose if you cancel and you come to terms with that.

If you would not be happy based on weather, then the loss is quite small over going and being miserable and the cost outlayed.

We are not phased by weather, but I understand why some are.

We did a river cruise on the Rhine this past December and it rained every day.  We were good with this.  You may not be.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be surprised by the rain.  On average, there are 15 days with precipitation in the month of June and June also has the highest monthly average amount of rain, almost 9 inches fall in June.

Bahamas climate: average weather, temperature, rain - Climates to Travel

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now