Web site says lower price then no cruise then normal price?

58 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

the real question is do some not get the full price prior to adding folks.

I don't. 

Here is a booking I just queued up to answer the question:

Before adding anyone:

image.thumb.png.4f4c98b087f9807b17cb9c028af0e6f7.png

After adding myself and another guest:

image.thumb.png.1939a13dbb1b4748793ff53fdcd0e5b9.png

The price went up $703 due to the govt. taxes, fees, and port expenses being added on the final screen of the booking funnel. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Port fees/taxes that double the cruise fare?

Add in DSC and gratuities, advertised rate of $926 pp inside ($1852 for 2) becomes $3723 for 2 people so, yeah.

Leave off the "Free at Sea" ($450 gratuities on the drinks and dining packages) and your still looking at $3278, still close to double (1.77 times actually) and your buying your own drinks.

Big change from the headline rate either way...

• Like 2

"Our price transparency law is about clear and honest communication with consumers, so consumers can make the financial choices that are best for them and their families. This new guidance provides information for businesses across California to ensure that clear answers are available, particularly for small businesses,” said Attorney General Rob Bonta. “The law is simple: the price you see is the price you pay. Laws work when everyone can comply. I am pleased that we can offer this guidance to help facilitate compliance with the law and make a more fair and level marketplace for businesses and consumers."

“Every consumer deserves honest, up-front pricing, and I’m proud to have worked with Attorney General Bonta and Senator Skinner to pass a law to help do just that,” said Senator Bill Dodd, D-Napa. “A consumer shouldn’t discover hidden fees made up by a business when they pay their bill.”

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I don't. 

Here is a booking I just queued up to answer the question:

Before adding anyone:

image.thumb.png.4f4c98b087f9807b17cb9c028af0e6f7.png

After adding myself and another guest:

image.thumb.png.1939a13dbb1b4748793ff53fdcd0e5b9.png

The price went up $703 due to the govt. taxes, fees, and port expenses being added on the final screen of the booking funnel. 

Don't know what to tell you.  That $703 was added on to my mock booking prior to adding guests, etc.

12 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

"Our price transparency law is about clear and honest communication with consumers, so consumers can make the financial choices that are best for them and their families. This new guidance provides information for businesses across California to ensure that clear answers are available, particularly for small businesses,” said Attorney General Rob Bonta. “The law is simple: the price you see is the price you pay. Laws work when everyone can comply. I am pleased that we can offer this guidance to help facilitate compliance with the law and make a more fair and level marketplace for businesses and consumers."

“Every consumer deserves honest, up-front pricing, and I’m proud to have worked with Attorney General Bonta and Senator Skinner to pass a law to help do just that,” said Senator Bill Dodd, D-Napa. “A consumer shouldn’t discover hidden fees made up by a business when they pay their bill.”

Congratulations.  Now that the government is going to help you with pricing, expect big increases.  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Congratulations.  Now that the government is going to help you with pricing, expect big increases.  

Come again? Pricing isn't changing  Transparency is changing.

I dont need the governments help to figure out an all in out the door price for a cruise vs a comparable vacation.

Pricing could end up decreasing if the now required, all-in pricing reduces demand for cruises.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Don't know what to tell you.  That $703 was added on to my mock booking prior to adding guests, etc.

Nothing's ok. Just wanted to show what those of us stating it's not the final price see in the booking funnel. I'm glad it shows up for you!

11 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Come again? Pricing isn't changing  Transparency is changing.

I dont need the governments help to figure out an all in out the door price for a cruise vs a comparable vacation.

Pricing could end up decreasing if the now required, all-in pricing reduces demand for cruises.

I'm all for lower prices (I don't want to pay more for a lesser product, even though we just booked a cruise two weeks ago), but I don't think demand is going to reduce for a bit longer. It will, but I think it'll start petering out in late 2025. Cruise lines are just getting everything they possibly can while the getting's good. 

• Like 1

First of all, I've not encountered a lack of transparency.  I've found it very easy to determine the cost of a cruise.

Second, I'm amused by the idea that the governments that have implemented policies that result in inflation are going to do something that reduces costs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Come again? Pricing isn't changing  Transparency is changing.ou 

You do realize that all in prices means the DSC, drink packages, gratuities, specialty dining, shore escursions become mandatory.

Edited by RocketMan275

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You do realize that all in prices means the DSC, drink packages, gratuities, specialty dining, shore escursions become mandatory.

I did not realize that, but thank you for telling me that.  My belief of declining demand is even stronger now.

Edited by luv2kroooz

28 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

I did not realize that, but thank you for telling me that.  My belief of declining demand is even stronger now.

Think about price transparency.  That means the advertiese price is what you pay, no add ons, just one price.  DSC, drink packages, gratuities, etc., are add ons.  Can't have that so they become mandatory.

What you may see is a dual track system where those booking in California have a different website or maybe even have to call for pricing.

24 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Think about price transparency.  That means the advertiese price is what you pay, no add ons, just one price.  DSC, drink packages, gratuities, etc., are add ons.  Can't have that so they become mandatory.

What you may see is a dual track system where those booking in California have a different website or maybe even have to call for pricing.

Thank you, again, for telling me this.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

36 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Does NCL care about California laws?

Yes. 

“To comply with this new law and to simplify the booking experience for all our guests based in the U.S. and Canada, Norwegian Cruise Line will be incorporating applicable government taxes, fees and port expenses into our advertised pricing beginning July 1, 2024.”

The cost alteration will only affect the way it displays prices and not the overall price passengers ultimately pay to take a cruise.

“We are committed to delivering exceptional vacation experiences at every step of the cruise journey, and we hope this change will provide our guests with a more satisfying booking experience,” the spokesperson said.

Edited by luv2kroooz

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

Yes. 

“To comply with this new law and to simplify the booking experience for all our guests based in the U.S. and Canada, Norwegian Cruise Line will be incorporating applicable government taxes, fees and port expenses into our advertised pricing beginning July 1, 2024.”

The cost alteration will only affect the way it displays prices and not the overall price passengers ultimately pay to take a cruise.

“We are committed to delivering exceptional vacation experiences at every step of the cruise journey, and we hope this change will provide our guests with a more satisfying booking experience,” the spokesperson said.

Note is does not say that all costs that were optional will now be part of the final price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Does it really say that, or does it just say they are no hidden costs that are part of the mandatory minimum?

You would have every passenger charged for the most expensive excursion at each port by your logic? Everyone would be charged for the furthest away flight, first class of course, even if they were within driving distance by your logic?

Things like drink packages could be listed as optional with a listed price. I would imagine that the DSC, however, might have to be included in the price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Yes. 

I'm not seeing where they state that they are doing this for California.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Does it really say that, or does it just say they are no hidden costs that are part of the mandatory minimum?

You would have every passenger charged for the most expensive excursion at each port by your logic? Everyone would be charged for the furthest away flight, first class of course, even if they were within driving distance by your logic?

Things like drink packages could be listed as optional with a listed price. I would imagine that the DSC, however, might have to be included in the price.

Do you want pricing transparency with no additional costs beyond the advertised fare or not?

3 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Yes. 

This is a very bad idea.  All government fee/taxes should be listed as a separate line item.  every notice how the government tries to hide fees and taxes.  

• Haha 1

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

This is a very bad idea.  All government fee/taxes should be listed as a separate line item.  every notice how the government tries to hide fees and taxes.  

I couldn't care less. I have the God given talent to understand, interpret and make an informed decision under either scenario. 

I can see how it can be a trap for the unwary as the $249 pp 7 day Alaska cruise turns into a $249 cruise plus $300 in port fees and $140 in DSC, or $689 all in.

So, the advertised base price is only 36% of the out the door price.

25 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

I couldn't care less. I have the God given talent to understand, interpret and make an informed decision under either scenario. 

I can see how it can be a trap for the unwary as the $249 pp 7 day Alaska cruise turns into a $249 cruise plus $300 in port fees and $140 in DSC, or $689 all in.

So, the advertised base price is only 36% of the out the door price.

Evidently, California doesn't share your belief in your God given talents and thinks only the government can save you from making a uninformed decisions.  We should all be comforted by the demonstrated abilities of the California government.

13 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm not seeing where they state that they are doing this for California.

So you think that it is just a coincidence that this change was made when California passed that law?

• Thanks 1